Whatever happened to Fay Wray?

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Whatever happened to Fay Wray?

Postby Asparagus on December 16th, 2017, 2:52 pm 

Hi! New here. I've been pondering the foundation of science, but not up to formulating a question yet. My hypothesis is that it only matters if one hopes to advance scientism. Anyway, nice to meet you!
Asparagus

Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Whatever happened to Fay Wray?

Postby doogles on December 16th, 2017, 5:35 pm 

Fay Wray - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fay_Wray

Vina Fay Wray (September 15, 1907 – August 8, 2004) was a Canadian/American actress most noted for playing the female lead in the 1933 film King Kong as Ann Darrow. Through an acting career that spanned 57 years, Wray attained international renown as an actress in horror movie roles. She was one of the first ...
Children‎: ‎Susan Riskin; ‎Victoria Riskin‎; ‎Robert ...
Resting place‎: ‎Hollywood Forever Cemetery in ...
Years active‎: ‎1923–1980

As an avid movie-goer from the age of 10 (at least 4 nights a week), I used to see her in many movies during the 1940s
doogles

Postby Braininvat on December 16th, 2017, 5:40 pm 

Not sure what the hypothesis is you refer to, or what you mean by "advance scientism." Perhaps you could articulate further in a thread in the Philosophy of Science forum? If you use the search function, and type in "scientific method," you may find a couple threads of interest there.

This one is quite long and meanders considerably (and was finally locked, sorry)....

http://sciencechatforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=32607

....but it might give you some idea where some of us have been.

Here's another one....

http://sciencechatforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33300

Several threads, clustered around these, may also be relevant.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Asparagus on December 16th, 2017, 6:14 pm 

Thanks doogles! I wrote another reply, but didn't have permission to post it. Hmm.

Thanks brain-in-vat. I'm presently discussing the issue with Mill's ghost, if you know what I mean.

Best wishes!
Asparagus

Postby Braininvat on December 16th, 2017, 7:56 pm 

Mill certainly contributed to the development of concepts of scientific induction and controlled experiments. If you are talking to old ghosts, LaPlace and Comte are also interesting to visit with, if only to react against. And Kant, if you are looking at epistemological limits on scientific understanding. A lot of later thinkers were reacting to those old ghosts. Well, have fun.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Asparagus on December 16th, 2017, 11:12 pm 

My interest started with even older ghosts: I developed an interest in Neoplatonism and by way of that learned about the Stoic conception of divinity. The Stoics were physicalists. Their god was an animating force manifest by rational developments in the universe. It's kin to the concept of natural law. I'm guessing that most people who have some interest in science (whether as active participants as scientists or not) make some use of the concept of natural law. Mill represents an attempt to push back in favor of empiricism. My real interest may not be suitable for this forum because it's about what's behind this insistence on empiricism which re-emerged in the 20th Century.
Asparagus

Postby BadgerJelly on December 17th, 2017, 1:08 am 

I'm very interested in your point of view. I bring a vague kind of phenomenological take to the table regarding this subject.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Asparagus on December 17th, 2017, 9:00 am 

Cool! Could you suggest a title and category?
Asparagus

Postby BadgerJelly on December 17th, 2017, 9:19 am 

Asparagus » December 17th, 2017, 9:00 pm wrote:Cool! Could you suggest a title and category?

Not really because I don't know what you want to say.

Just post something in General Philosophy forum and see what sprouts from it. If you want to go more specific, then like Biv said, post in Philosophy of Science forum.

I have something to contribute regarding Husserl and his "Crisis" which is very much in line with the item of science, although he was looking for a means to make use of more 'subjective' things.

It could be worthwhile posting about where you believe "science" begins and at what point the modern view of scientific method truly came to fruition? Some say Aristotle is the key, I think he said Thales?? (maybe confusing that with something else and don't mind showing my ignorance/confusion so google if you wish!) Then there is the age of enlightenment and I believe Hobbes laid out the gist of what we call "science" today.

That there is the matter of logic - I can only touch on that a little though because I need to read quite a bit more. Willing to try though if that's to your taste?

Other than that I am interested to learn from what you know about Neoplatonism. I am not going to pretend I know much about it.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Asparagus on December 17th, 2017, 10:12 am 

Ok. That's a truckload of topics. Maybe I'll just start with a thread on empiricism. Thanks. :)
Asparagus

Postby Braininvat on December 17th, 2017, 1:22 pm 

'Ragus - did you post here at SPCF a while back, under another moniker? For some reason, you seem a bit familiar. The choice of thread title reminded me of a former member here. If you are incognito, it's fine, just blink once for yes and twice for no.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Return to Lounge Area