Top 5 for "We had a good run"

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Top 5 for "We had a good run"

Postby Asparagus on January 22nd, 2018, 11:26 am 

Maybe it's a side effect of being a Cold War baby, but threats of human extinction cause me to reflexively exclaim that we've had a good run. In other words, if this is it, it's ok because we had awesome fun and exhibited grandeur of the spirit amidst the abysmal crap.

I came across an expression of extinction-fear recently. Appropriately, it had to do with North Korea. The inevitable exclamation crossed my mind, and I started wondering what "good run" means in specifics.

For better or worse, these items came to me:

1. We invented the solar calendar. I mean: how many other planets in our solar system had surface scum that woke up and realized not only that it's on a planet, but used the movements of the other planets in the sky as a large-scale calendar?

That
is
amazing.

I got stuck there, though. Four more?
Asparagus

Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Top 5 for "We had a good run"

Postby BadgerJelly on January 22nd, 2018, 12:44 pm 

We got to the Moon. Pretty big step in my book!
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby wolfhnd on January 22nd, 2018, 2:18 pm 

We are close to birthing AI that will out live the solar system and in theory the universe. Not bad for a fragile wet computer.
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby BadgerJelly on January 22nd, 2018, 8:44 pm 

Harnessing fire and, later on, nuclear power - Harnessing natural resources for power would cover that I think.

AI? We're nowhere near. It is hardly an "achievement" if we've not actually achieved it!?

Computer was a pretty good achievement I guess.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Return to Lounge Area