castaway

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

castaway

Postby zetreque on June 30th, 2018, 11:48 pm 

We often see in movies and TV someone being washed ashore after a plane crash, ship wreck, whatever. I'm wondering how that works. Does that even work or is that even possible? What conditions must happen in order for that to be real? Would the person for instance need to have some debre to float on until they reach shore? Somehow I don't see someone just floating unconscious in the water until some day when they are washed on shore.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: castaway

Postby bangstrom on July 1st, 2018, 3:53 am 

Their bodies become bloated and rise to the top. This can happen quickly in warm water. Men usually float face down and women float face up.
bangstrom

Postby zetreque on July 1st, 2018, 11:31 am 

bangstrom » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:53 am wrote:Their bodies become bloated and rise to the top. This can happen quickly in warm water. Men usually float face down and women float face up.

floating face down you would die. In the movies they are alive.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby edy420 on July 2nd, 2018, 5:37 am 

My uncle was stuck out at sea for three days straight, no debri.
He was eventually rescued, but I’m sure he would have been happy to find an island
edy420

Postby Sandpiper on October 2nd, 2018, 7:43 am 

Very unlikely, I'd say, especially if the person were unconscious. You'd need a combination of factors, including closeness to a shore, warmer waters, and a sandy (vs rocky) beach?

Unless the movie suggests that the person struggled long and hard to make it to shore - and simply fell to sleep in exhaustion upon barely getting there? And could hardly remember how they were able to?

Here's a video story told by a toughened Canadian sailor who was in the cold sea just part of one night with the waves crashing down upon him. He didn't think he could make it. It ends with a great folk song (if you like folk music and by Stan Rogers), but the way he tells this story gives you an idea of how hard the conditions would be for even a short period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT-aEcPgkuA
Sandpiper
Forum Neophyte

Postby zetreque on October 2nd, 2018, 10:43 am 

nice story. He got lucky finding that life boat
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Serpent on October 2nd, 2018, 11:33 am 

Lots of people have survived shipwrecks - most often in lifeboats, where there would be up to two dozen people, which means the stronger can help the weaker ones. A single survivor is rare but not unheard-of. He (usually, since all except passenger ships had an all-male contingent) would be on a large piece of wooden flotsam - crates, barrels, railings, spars and masts. There is a better chance of survival if the crewman tied himself to the mast or helm before the ship broke up - to keep from being swept overboard in the storm. Then, even if he lost consciousness, he would still float. The tide might then wash him - along with all the other flotsam - onto a shore. As the tide retreats, whatever had been floating is deposited. In the days of sail and even steam, many - I'd like to say most, but I'm not sure - shipwrecks took place on rocks near the shore. Many seaside villages made a living off salvage - and incidentally rescued a few sailors. More than one young fellow impressed into the merchant navy found safe haven among the natives.
Serpent
Resident Member

Return to Lounge Area