What is spacetime made of, the Coney Island digression

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

What is spacetime made of, the Coney Island digression

Postby ronjanec on September 2nd, 2018, 11:43 am 

davidm » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:28 am wrote:
ronjanec » September 2nd, 2018, 7:35 am wrote:... how can any scientist say or make with any high degree of confidence any accurate observations or predictions about space and time, if he doesn’t even know what he is actually dealing with in the first place.

And yet, special and general relativity both make predictions, those predictions have been checked (tested and observed) countless times, and every single prediction has checked out — most recently, the verification of the existence of gravity waves, predicted by Einstein in 1916 and verified 99 years later. So what’s the problem?

You never bothered to respond to my last post to you: Why should I bother to respond to your posts?
ronjanec
Resident Member

Re: What is spacetime made of?

Postby davidm on September 2nd, 2018, 11:51 am 

ronjanec » September 2nd, 2018, 9:43 am wrote:
davidm » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:28 am wrote:
ronjanec » September 2nd, 2018, 7:35 am wrote:... how can any scientist say or make with any high degree of confidence any accurate observations or predictions about space and time, if he doesn’t even know what he is actually dealing with in the first place.

And yet, special and general relativity both make predictions, those predictions have been checked (tested and observed) countless times, and every single prediction has checked out — most recently, the verification of the existence of gravity waves, predicted by Einstein in 1916 and verified 99 years later. So what’s the problem?

You never bothered to respond to my last post to you: Why should I bother to respond to your posts?

Do whatever you like. I'm not on here 24/7 and respond to posts as I find time. Right now it's time for Coney Island and sun and sand and water and beer! :-D
davidm

Postby ronjanec on September 2nd, 2018, 12:17 pm 

davidm,

Because of a very recent major illness I lost my job: And being on here 24/7 is helping me keep my sanity(or at least it is some of the time) :)

That sounds real good davidm, and I hope you have a real nice time today(I heard the pizza in N.Y.C is really lousy, so you should try avoid that if you can) :)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby davidm on September 2nd, 2018, 10:08 pm 

Having successfully returned from my journey of self discovery to Coney Island, I find that I now concur with Thales, who held that the originating principle is water (along with sand, sun and beer, of course).

It’s true that NY pizza sucks, so it cannot be an originating principle.
davidm

Postby ronjanec on September 3rd, 2018, 9:18 am 

davidm » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:08 pm wrote:Having successfully returned from my journey of self discovery to Coney Island, I find that I now concur with Thales, who held that the originating principle is water (along with sand, sun and beer, of course).

Are you originally from the N.Y.C area davidm? I’m asking because I was wondering whose pizza you are comparing this to?

Chicago pizza is really good, and I can’t eat pizza anywhere else in the country. People that are not from the Chicago area think we all eat ‘deep dish’ pizza all the time, when most of us actually eat ‘thin crust’ pizza probably 95 out of 100 times. ‘Deep dish’ pizza is really good, but it is really a very heavy meal, and just absolutely loaded with calories.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Re: What is spacetime made of, the Coney Island digression

Postby davidm on September 3rd, 2018, 10:18 am 

I’m from Detroit and I’ve been to Chicago many times and I agree the best pizza is there. Right now I’m one block from Lombardi’s, the oldest pizzeria in the U.S. I’ve actually never had their pizza, but people who have had it say it’s OK, not that special. Most of the other pizza here is mediocre at best. NY also lacks decent Polish food — it’s almost nonexistent, at least in all the places I hang out. Since I’m of Polish descent, this makes me unhappy. :-(
davidm

Postby ronjanec on September 3rd, 2018, 10:49 am 

davidm » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:18 am wrote:I’m from Detroit and I’ve been to Chicago many times and I agree the best pizza is there. Right now I’m one block from Lombardi’s, the oldest pizzeria in the U.S. I’ve actually never had their pizza, but people who have had it say it’s OK, not that special. Most of the other pizza here is mediocre at best. NY also lacks decent Polish food — it’s almost nonexistent, at least in all the places I hang out. Since I’m of Polish descent, this makes me unhappy. :-(

I actually lived in Dearborn for a short time(one year) when I was 6 years old(my dad worked for Ford at the time), but I can’t remember if we ever had the pizza there.

I have only been to N.Y.C one time(when I was in the army), but that was only a cab ride from one airport to the other, so I never had a chance to try their pizza. You probably know that Chicago has a ton of good Polish restaurants with very reasonable prices.

After the pizza, my favorite restaurants are the many Mexican restaurants that we have here. It is almost impossible to stay on a diet in Chicago with all the great restaurants we have from you name the country. :) I actually just lost 32 pounds, but that was because I was again really sick and basically could not eat anything good. But now I am back to my old sinful ways and gaining some of the weight back.

I have always wanted to visit Central Park, and think that is the greatest idea to have this huge park right in the middle of the downtown area!
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on September 3rd, 2018, 11:03 am 

davidm » September 2nd, 2018, 7:08 pm wrote:Having successfully returned from my journey of self discovery to Coney Island, I find that I now concur with Thales, who held that the originating principle is water (along with sand, sun and beer, of course).

Those 4 principles correspond well with the ancient 4 elements.

Sun - fire
Beer - air (the carbonation) (the belching)
Sand - earth
Water - water

I am surprised there's so much bad pizza, when my pizza making experience shows me that it's so easy to get it right. Mozzarella, olive oil, tomato sauce, oregano, basil, a bit of onion and garlic. I suspect some places let the olive oil go slightly rancid or use cheap stuff (which often arrives on the grocery shelf halfway rancid).
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby ronjanec on September 3rd, 2018, 11:16 am 

I’m also really surprised that the pizza is so bad there Biv, because many New Yorkers always claim that they have the best pizza in the country.

Speaking of bad pizza, the worst I’ve ever had was Florida pizza: I would not feed their pizza to even a starving emaciated dog it’s so bad! And the rest of the food down there is also really crappy(A number of my good friends previously from Chicago retired down there, and they always complain about the food and especially the horrible pizza)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Return to Lounge Area