Extinction (movie)

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Extinction (movie)

Postby zetreque on November 5th, 2018, 1:57 am 

Just watched the movie Extinction on netflix. There are lots of messages that can be taken away from this movie.
I am an anti-fan of Elon Musk and one possible hidden message in this movie is that people like Elon Musk basically destroyed humanity while at the same time the technology that came out of it gave humanity the ability to survive (all be it a miserable existence).
Another underlying message is about our polar political system.
But that's enough spoilers.

Usually netflix original movies are awful but this one surprised me. It actually had the caliber of thought behind it similar to Avatar. A little too bloody and war like for me though, but that's what brings in the masses to watch it. One thing that helped the movie was low expectations because I had absolutely no idea what the movie was about going into it.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: Extinction (movie)

Postby -1- on December 29th, 2018, 6:53 pm 

I had watched the first five minutes of this movie some time ago, and abandoned it as unwatchable.

But now seeing and reading your review, I've taken it out of the library and will watch it again.

Opinion to follow.
-1-

Postby Serpent on December 30th, 2018, 3:16 am 

I really enjoyed half of Avatar.
Without the predictable plot and all the military pyrotechnics, I would have liked to spend a couple of hours on Pandora.
What percent of Extinction should I prepare to fast forward?
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on December 30th, 2018, 3:23 am 

wow. I posted this less than two months ago but it feels like ages have passed. I'm trying to remember the movie now. Now that I think about it, I think it was similar to I Robot too.

You can probably fast forward a lot of some beginning scenes where they are stupidly trying to figure out what's going on. If you can make it past that, it might start to seem more interesting.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby -1- on January 1st, 2019, 5:09 am 

Oops. My mistake. I saw finally Annihilation. I haven't seen Extinction.

Annihilation became interesting after the first five minutes. I enjoyed it; my gf said she's going to have nightmares because of it for the next 1/5th of a decade.

SPOILER ALERT! STOP READING HERE TO AVOID SPOILING!!
.\
i like the way the on-hand scientists viewed the Thing. "What does it want?" was the question from the inquisitor. "I don't think it wants anything." Was the reply by the first-hand experiencer. "It wants to destroy our world!" asserted the Inquisitor. "No," replied the scientist. "It just changes things."

I like this. No fanaticism. In a way it calmly accepts the notion that powerful things can exists outside of their own will; things just ARE, they are not there for a PURPOSE. I found this almost shockingly refreshing from an American movie. I guess movie makers have decided to move with the times.

Other than that, it is a run-of the mill horror movie. Some exceptions exist: Instead of teen-aged cheerleaders, with big boobs, very good looking, sporty female scientists in their thirties and forties get eaten alive by monsters. Instead of bald, ugly, fat-ish middle aged BAD white males tying them up with ropes to have their way with them, they tie each other up. I guess we have to move with the times.

Sort of makes me believe that the producers still are sexual sadists, but they are in their sixties and eighties, and a forty-year-old is as exciting to them as a 20-year-old was back forty years ago. And the aggression against females is tamed or, rather, camouflaged by barely making it PC observant.

SPECIAL NOTE TO THE MODS: I DON'T KNOW IF I STEPPED OVER THE LIMIT OF ACCEPTABLE LEVELS OF ADULT CONTENT WITH THIS POST. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO DELETE THIS POST IF YOU FIND IT OFFENSIVE OR INAPPROPRIATE, AND I SHAN'T RAISE ANY OBJECTION OR COMPLAINT DUE TO THIS DELETION.
-1-

Return to Lounge Area