Addicted Parrots Raid Poppy Farms

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Addicted Parrots Raid Poppy Farms

Postby toucana on March 2nd, 2019, 4:09 am 

Parakeets.png

Poppy farmers in India are saying their crops are being damaged by parrots that have become addicted to the opium in their plants.

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2019/03/01/india-parrots-damage-opium-crops-orig-vstan-bdk.cnn

Video taken in India’s Madhya Pradesh state show parrots tearing into poppy plants. Some parrots even cut the stalks and fly off with the poppy capsules.

Farmers said they are forced to guard their crops 24 hours a day. Some are protecting their poppy fields with nets to keep the parrots out.

The Indian government offers licenses for opium cultivation to a limited number of farmers. Their crops are used for the legal production of of painkillers like morphine and codeine.

The hopped up parrots are Indian Ringed Parakeets (Psittacula Kramen).
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Re: Addicted Parrots Raid Poppy Farms

Postby anc0de on April 27th, 2019, 3:28 am 

I'm honestly surprised the little buggers don't die to overdosing. Just a few hundred milligrams is enough to kill an average person - I wonder why these little specimens don't overdose as easily.
anc0de
Forum Neophyte

Location: United States of Israel former United States of America

Postby toucana on April 27th, 2019, 4:36 am 

anc0de wrote
I'm honestly surprised the little buggers don't die to overdosing. Just a few hundred milligrams is enough to kill an average person - I wonder why these little specimens don't overdose as easily.

From an abstract on "The pharmacology of medieval sedatives: the "Great Rest" of the Antidotarium Nicolai."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24905867
RESULTS:
Given the proportional quantities of the alkaloid rich plants, we calculate the optimal dose of Great Rest to be 3.1±0.1-5.3±0.76 g and reveal that the lethal dose of Great Rest is double the therapeutic concentration where all three alkaloid compounds are biologically active.
CONCLUSION:
This study helps establish the effective dose (ED50), toxic dose (TD50) and lethal dose (LD50) rates for the ingestion of raw opium, henbane and mandrake, and describes their probable combined effects, which may be applied to similar types of pre-modern pharmaceuticals to reveal the empirical logic behind past practices.

You are wrong by several orders of magnitude.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby anc0de on May 1st, 2019, 3:33 am 

toucana » April 27th, 2019, 12:36 am wrote:From an abstract on "The pharmacology of medieval sedatives: the "Great Rest" of the Antidotarium Nicolai."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24905867
RESULTS:
Given the proportional quantities of the alkaloid rich plants, we calculate the optimal dose of Great Rest to be 3.1±0.1-5.3±0.76 g and reveal that the lethal dose of Great Rest is double the therapeutic concentration where all three alkaloid compounds are biologically active.
CONCLUSION:
This study helps establish the effective dose (ED50), toxic dose (TD50) and lethal dose (LD50) rates for the ingestion of raw opium, henbane and mandrake, and describes their probable combined effects, which may be applied to similar types of pre-modern pharmaceuticals to reveal the empirical logic behind past practices.

You are wrong by several orders of magnitude.

I see. My misunderstanding comes from confusing opium, produced from the poppy plant, with the opium-derived, processed drug heroin. Still pretty impressive that such little birds can tolerate the drug well enough to come back for seconds.
anc0de
Forum Neophyte

Location: United States of Israel former United States of America

Postby doogles on May 2nd, 2019, 5:00 am 

I liked the way Toucana and ancOde have discussed this subject objectively and with the provision of data to support argument.

I was amused though at the use of the term 'Great Rest' as probably a euphemism for 'Death'. Have I mis-interpretated or was that term ever used biologically? It seems quaint even by my old standards.
doogles

Postby doogles on May 2nd, 2019, 5:08 am 

Apologies.

I just researched it and discovered that it was a generic name for a particular preparation of opium derivatives.
doogles

Return to Lounge Area