classical music

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

classical music

Postby hyksos on December 26th, 2019, 8:25 am 

I'm looking for a forum on the internet where they talk about classical music almost exclusively... like a place where they have individual threads on separate composers.

Does anyone know a place like this?

Or anything else you want to say about classical music?
hyksos

Re: classical music

Postby TheVat on December 27th, 2019, 2:46 pm 

Classical music has always rocked my world. Raised with audiophiles, married to a union card-carrying musician who played a lot of classical repertoire, a semi-skilled pianist myself who occasionally tries to (at fractional tempo usually) get through a Beethoven sonata or a little Debussy, Satie, Liszt (usually impossible), Chopin, et al. Jazz/blues is where I normally reside, but classical is the well I keep going back to. If you want to keep this, or maybe a couple threads, humming along in Lounge, I would guess that there are a few of us here who would enjoy chatting with you about classical music, posting audio links, and generally marinating.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby hyksos on December 30th, 2019, 6:06 pm 

So I found a dedicated forum.

Code: Select all
https://www.talkclassical.com/

But it's fort knox. They put new accounts on probation until you reach 10 posts, and you can't post unless a moderator approves it. THen the moderators take their lah-dee-dah time getting around to approving your post so it can even be seen. SOmetimes approval takes days.

I belly-ached my way into being 'accepted' by their cloistery group. I will try to keep updates about that place if anything interesting comes up there.
hyksos

Postby hyksos on December 30th, 2019, 6:14 pm 

Jazz/blues is where I normally reside, but classical is the well I keep going back to.

So I had graduated away from the mainstream guys ago. I started really getting into Ignaz Moscheles, Hummel, and even someone named William Sterndale Bennett. I felt like I had "heard it all".

Man alive was I wrong. Classical music as a genre keeps turning up diamonds for me, even as I get older. When I find something new now I want to run out into the street and grab someone by the lapels and say "HAve you HEARD THIS?"
hyksos

Postby TheVat on December 31st, 2019, 12:59 pm 

I recall Hummel had a famous trumpet concerto, like Haydn. And it was in E, so pretty much everyone transposes it down half a step for convenience on the trumpet. I think a lot of great composers in that era kind of got overshadowed by Beethoven and the other "celebrity" composers, and had to be rediscovered later.

It amazes me sometimes the greats that I overlooked when I was young. I didn't hear Holst until I was around 30 or so. And he gave me that "run out into the street" feeling when I heard The Planets. Similar experience with Carl Orff.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby Positor on December 31st, 2019, 10:15 pm 

TheVat » December 31st, 2019, 4:59 pm wrote:I recall Hummel had a famous trumpet concerto, like Haydn.

He also wrote an excellent bassoon concerto which is worth listening to.

On YouTube I discovered the symphonies of Carl Czerny, which sound amazingly like Beethoven in style.

Another wonderful piece I found is Raff's Symphony No 9 ("In Summer"), which has similarities to Mendelssohn.
Positor

Postby hyksos on January 1st, 2020, 1:18 am 

Czerny wrote symphonies? I have not heard a single one yet. I did not even know he wrote them.

They sound like Beethoven's symphonies? Okay, now I'm really interested.
hyksos

Postby hyksos on January 1st, 2020, 1:23 am 

I want to table these two topics.

1. Sibelius. I found him last year or so ago. I have 12874 things to say.

2. Camille Saint-Saens. Discovered him like this month. Literally this month. I've been jamming Saint-Saens round the clock here.

Your thoughts?
hyksos

Return to Lounge Area