Page 1 of 1

Worth Its Weight In Gold ?

PostPosted: August 8th, 2020, 6:31 pm
by toucana
According to The Smoking Gun, a convicted felon broke into an Iowa bank on Tuesday, and escaped with only the hand sanitizer.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/stupid/bank-heist-sanitizer-674910

Mark Gray, 39, was detained after allegedly burglarizing three Sioux City businesses, including a Security National Bank branch.

Investigators allege that Gray “used a tool to smash the glass door” of the bank around 12:15 AM. He then “entered into the lobby area and stole the hand sanitizer from the bank. He then fled.

Gray is also charged with burglarizing a counseling agency and a restaurant. Post-arrest, he reportedly told Sioux City Police Department officers that he entered the businesses and “searched around for things of value that he could steal.”

Re: Worth Its Weight In Gold ?

PostPosted: August 8th, 2020, 8:24 pm
by TheVat
Sanitizer? He wanted to make a clean getaway.

Re: Worth Its Weight In Gold ?

PostPosted: August 9th, 2020, 7:28 am
by toucana
Just hope he wasn't planning to drink it, which is what some sanitizer junkies are apparently doing.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertglatter/2020/08/05/4-people-dead-and-3-blind-after-drinking-hand-sanitizer/#7286ba8e1998

The CDC recently issued a warning after reports that four people died, three went blind, and another 15 were injured in Arizona and New Mexico after quaffing black market sanitizer whose alcohol content turned out to be methanol rather than ethanol.
While drinking alcohol-based hand sanitizer containing methanol places you at the highest risk for toxicity, inhaling it or rubbing it on your skin in excessive amounts can also lead to significant complications and potentially death. With this in mind, the bulk of toxicity results from ingestion, even in small amounts.

The byproducts of the metabolism of methanol, formaldehyde and formic acid, produce a condition known as metabolic acidosis, a dangerous accumulation of acid in the bloodstream, which is toxic to the organs and tissues in the body leading to seizures, kidney failure, blindness, low blood pressure, and fatal cardiac arrhythmias.

Some sanitizers use isopropyl alcohol instead, which is littlle better for you, as it can lead to a rapid change in level of consciousness, drop in body temperature (hypothermia) and cardiac arrest if ingested in significant enough quantity.