sleep orientation data collection

Discussions on behavioral ecology, evolutionary psychology, neurology, endocrinology, game theory, etc.

sleep orientation data collection

Postby zetreque on December 24th, 2016, 5:13 pm 

If I wanted to do a study about the direction (East, West, North, South) that people sleep in, what would be the best method of collecting data?
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Re: sleep orientation data collection

Postby Dave_Oblad on December 24th, 2016, 6:47 pm 

Hi zetreque,

Ask in a Poll?
I doubt any correlation can be found.

More interesting is cases of cancer in specific locations. There are ground currents under our feet which might induce Cancer or other illness anomalies. Why some houses are "Sick" and others not.

Happy Holidays,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby zetreque on December 24th, 2016, 8:22 pm 

Dave_Oblad » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:47 pm wrote:Hi zetreque,

Ask in a Poll?
I doubt any correlation can be found.

More interesting is cases of cancer in specific locations. There are ground currents under our feet which might induce Cancer or other illness anomalies. Why some houses are "Sick" and others not.

Happy Holidays,

But can you trust people will have a compass? I suppose everyone has them on their smartphones now.

Another problem with polls is it's a convenience sample rather than random.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Serpent on December 24th, 2016, 10:40 pm 

It might be more random if you went on several different forums. Of course, there is no assurance that the same people might not be all over the place...
I'm pretty sure we can figure out approximately which way our bed is oriented from the location of our homes. (ie. Which room is best for watching the sunset?)

(East-to-west, me. Not for any reason except the layout of a small room.)
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on December 25th, 2016, 2:15 pm 

Head points west. Unless I take too many iron supplements, then I tend to swing around towards magnetic north.

I don't really understand what sort of meaningful information this kind of study would be after? Isn't it usually a matter of room architecture and house orientation? And personal quirks, like being able to see the door, or a desired window...
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby vivian maxine on December 25th, 2016, 3:06 pm 

And, if you are caught in the crossfire? Head points NE, foot to SW? Building orientation.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Dave_Oblad on December 25th, 2016, 3:14 pm 

Yep,

On curvy streets.. even houses don't always align with fronts as N,S,E,W.

Best wishes,
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on December 25th, 2016, 4:49 pm 

For one, there are a heap of websites that have a bunch of (phony IMO) spiritual advice claiming science on which direction to sleep in for optimal health.

Second, there is further evidence apparently of new studies showing a broader spectrum of animals that align themselves specific ways in relation to the magnetic field. I think it would be interesting to do a large dataset study of humans.

I had already thought about the house orientation thing a long time ago when I first thought of this study idea. That's something that would have to be accounted for. Even then, a bed "must" go along a wall so still, the occupant must choose between more E-W or N-S unless the house is exactly SE-NW orientation.

This would be a very easy study, but the hard part is collecting a lot of reliable data.

A more difficult question would be things like, does childhood orientation affect the sleep direction orientation later in life. In my case it might.

Even without the magnetic field theory, one could theorize other things like facing a certain direction to be woken up with the sun.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby vivian maxine on December 25th, 2016, 5:01 pm 

1. Yes, animals do align themselves. I'm not thinking magnetically, though. What suddenly crossed my mind is that horses and cows align themselves with the wind. One faces into it, one away and I can never remember which. Would be interesting to know about magnetically. Don't birds have some kind of magnetic system in their brains for migrating purpose? We await your report.

2. I'm sure you remember. In the old days, all deceased were buried facing east so that when we all rise again to the new world, we would face Christ returning. Something like that anyway. We're also told by the believers to sleep facing east for the same reason.

I think there's something factual to the animal lineup. I'll leave it to others about people lineup. All I know is I want my head where outdoor lights do not interfere with my sleeping. And that includes the big, bright moon. And I want to be able to open a window without wind blowing directly on my head --- or rain.

Interesting thread you are going to have.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on December 25th, 2016, 5:05 pm 

If I could program smartphone apps, I could just create a simple app for people to download, they place their phone along the side of their bed as they would face, then hit the button and it sends off the result to my database.

Then we could look at all sorts of factors like cultural differences, region, race, etc.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby vivian maxine on December 25th, 2016, 5:10 pm 

zetreque » December 25th, 2016, 4:05 pm wrote:If I could program smartphone apps, I could just create a simple app for people to download, they place their phone along the side of their bed as they would face, then hit the button and it sends off the result to my database.

Then we could look at all sorts of factors like cultural differences, region, race, etc.

Lay a magnet on the bed? That is what I did. I had a vague idea but that confirmed it.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on December 25th, 2016, 5:42 pm 

zetreque » December 25th, 2016, 3:49 pm wrote:
A more difficult question would be things like, does childhood orientation affect the sleep direction orientation later in life. In my case it might.

Not for me. I've slept equally well in all directions. I like the morning light, but don't care on which side it is. Seeing trees and birds out of any window is fine. The only way I won't place a bed is with the head toward the window so that it's behind me.

One other arrangement I've seen that wouldn't appeal to me is a bed in the middle of the room, with no wall on any side or end.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Dave_Oblad on December 25th, 2016, 11:36 pm 

Hi Serpent,

Serpent wrote:One other arrangement I've seen that wouldn't appeal to me is a bed in the middle of the room, with no wall on any side or end.

I agree Serpent. If the Boogeyman tries to get me when I'm sleeping then I want to fend him off with my hands and feet. But if he comes at me from the side nearest my head then my first line of defense is to bite him. Since I sleep without my dentures, gumming him wouldn't be a very effective deterrent. Then again.. he might back off.. if that grosses him out enough.

Best wishes,
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on December 25th, 2016, 11:45 pm 

Let me guess - You don't sit with your back to a door, either.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Dave_Oblad on December 26th, 2016, 12:00 am 

Hi Serpent,

You got it. I prefer to sit in a corner. That preference may have been imprinted, however, as a child.

Regards,
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on December 26th, 2016, 1:34 pm 

zetreque. is this a page that you saw? If not, here it is. It covers the story of animals aligning themselves all in one direction and magnetically.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7575459.stm
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on December 26th, 2016, 2:30 pm 

Out here, the buffalo (south of Rushmore, in Custer Park) face into the wind in cold weather because their bodies are structured so as to retain core heat better in that orientation. It also prevents herd drift....cattle tend to let themselves get pushed along by wind and can go over cliffs or into gullies. Buffalo don't do that, facing the storm.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby BadgerJelly on December 26th, 2016, 3:11 pm 

I think the only reliable sources would be form hunter-gatherers or nomads. The number of contributing factors to how people position their beds is simply too large. Plus there are various factors such as furniture, window position, door position, heat sources ...

Sounds like a very difficult thing to study.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on December 26th, 2016, 4:23 pm 

This was one of the first papers that I saw and since keep seeing others.

Extremely low-frequency electromagnetic fields disrupt magnetic alignment of ruminants
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2667019/
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on December 26th, 2016, 4:38 pm 

In regards to the question about data collection.
What about using the real estate industry for data collection?

A person could go around touring open houses, places for sale, or places for rent that are occupied.

Too bad one couldn't do it simply from pictures on airbnb or a realtor website. One could, but it would take a lot of time to satellite map the house's orientation and figure out direction by looking out the window in the picture.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Serpent on December 26th, 2016, 5:40 pm 

Urban people are constrained by economics: they just don't get very much choice of house or room or furniture orientation. Many house floor-plans, and nearly all apartments, have a preconceived notion designed into them: the bed is such a large piece of furniture, and bedrooms are so small that the occupant can't alter very much.
I'm pretty sure most are not bothered about it one way or another. (Sheng Phooey)
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on December 26th, 2016, 5:44 pm 

and what if you live in an area that has the full spectrum of the poorest to the most wealthy in the world?

I guess you are hinting that in a real estate study, one should focus on the more expensive homes where considerable expense has been put into home design?
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Serpent on December 26th, 2016, 7:06 pm 

zetreque » December 26th, 2016, 4:44 pm wrote:and what if you live in an area that has the full spectrum of the poorest to the most wealthy in the world?

I guess you are hinting that in a real estate study, one should focus on the more expensive homes where considerable expense has been put into home design?

I wasn't really hinting anything. But, on serious afterthought: yes, income is a major factor. The well-off are also far more likely to have heard of, and be influenced by, things like Feng Shui. But that's no guarantee that designers and contractors will have taken it into consideration, or prioritized it over view, convenience of access, zoning laws or some other consideration. Too damn many factors.

The only way you can get any meaningful answer is by floating a questionnaire. People love revealing stuff about themselves anonymously, and they seldom lie. Get on as many forums as possible and make up a reasonably short form to fill out. No more than ten minutes to complete, but don't dumb it down too much.
If you have no other reward to offer, let them see the results of the opening poll: what percent of participants sleep the same way you do.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on December 26th, 2016, 7:20 pm 

I was really liking the idea of making a cellphone app but the problem with a cell app is the only people downloading it would be ones already influenced by thinking about sleep orientation (certain religious nominations) performing a search for that in the apps. That would have to be a question on the poll.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Serpent on December 26th, 2016, 9:04 pm 

zetreque » December 26th, 2016, 6:20 pm wrote:I was really liking the idea of making a cellphone app but the problem with a cell app is the only people downloading it would be ones already influenced by thinking about sleep orientation (certain religious nominations) performing a search for that in the apps. That would have to be a question on the poll.

Plus, you would be restricting it by age and income to the population that lives welded to its cellphones - and you would have to compete for their already sought-after attention. We watch them, in restaurants and theater lobbies, arrive, whip out their phones and put their present, flesh-and-blood companion on hold while dealing with ... whatever is out in cyberspace that takes precedence.
You do know that old people, rural people and Luddites sleep, yes?
Serpent
Resident Member

Return to Behavioral Science