Schadenfreude

Discussions on behavioral ecology, evolutionary psychology, neurology, endocrinology, game theory, etc.

Schadenfreude

Postby jocular on September 3rd, 2018, 8:27 am 

Is this a totally bad feeling to have ?

Would it be fair to say that everyone is prone to it and that we have to learn to "not go" ** with the feeling ?

For example (as an example everyone will probably understand if not go along with) I would personally take quite a lot of pleasure from Trump coming to a sticky end*** (even one that he did not necessarily deserve)

So is this schadenfreude an elemental emotion or is it just a combination of various other emotions ,both "negative" and "positive" ?

** not feed it ,to realize we are being petty and inconsequential.

***this being a public forum, I guess I should specify that I mean a sticky end at the hands of the Justice system ,the political system or if his business enterprises were to come unstuck-no physical harm aside from an overwhelming sense of shame of who he seems to be :-)
jocular

Re: Schadenfreude

Postby Braininvat on September 3rd, 2018, 9:31 am 

Glad you explained that. "Sticky" had me thinking of the classic American penalty of tarring and feathering.

Some schadenfreude seems to come from a basic human desire for justice.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Serpent on September 3rd, 2018, 12:37 pm 

I have a fairly good imagination, yet I find it difficult to come up with a sticky end that Trump doesn't deserve.
I don't think the desire for 'just deserts' or 'pride goeth before the fall' or 'hoist with his own petard' qualifies as schadenfreude.
If I understand the concept as synonymous with the Hungarian version karorom, (literally: harmjoy) or the little-remembered [Gr]English epicaricacy, it's not about comeuppance. This is a more primitive feeling. It comes of rivalry, jealousy, envy, and I think with a goodly dollop of superstition. That is, the unfounded notion we all harbour somewhere deep in our psyche that there are finite amounts of fortune and misfortune in the world. The spurious reasoning goes something like:
He lost some of his luck, there's more for me. He took the pratfall, I won't have to.
I believe slapstick comedy, and quite a lot of verbal humour stems from this same notion.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby jocular on September 3rd, 2018, 4:04 pm 

I like that.The cup of his misfortune runneth over to mine.
It does feel fairly elemental now.

I had to allow T a potentially unjustified punishment to feel better about myself......
jocular

Postby bangstrom on September 4th, 2018, 3:17 am 

The people have spoken. They voted for Trump and now may they get what they deserve.
That’s Schadenfreude.
bangstrom

Postby Serpent on September 4th, 2018, 9:34 am 

Seems more like cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby jocular on September 4th, 2018, 10:43 am 

Serpent » September 4th, 2018, 9:34 am wrote:Seems more like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

It is deluded as all are in the same boat if in different areas but ,allowing for the delusion it seems fair to call it that.
jocular

Return to Behavioral Science