SCF Behavior Science Library

Discussions on behavioral ecology, evolutionary psychology, neurology, endocrinology, game theory, etc.

SCF Behavior Science Library

Postby Paralith on March 16th, 2010, 7:38 pm 

Welcome to the SCF Behavior Science Library

Many thanks to xcthullu for originally compiling many of the following references.

If you have any suggestions for additions to this library, please post them in a reply and I will add it to the list!

General Behavior

Behavioral Ecology

Economics and Behavior

Game Theory

Psychology / Evolutionary Psychology

Miscellaneous
Last edited by Paralith on October 12th, 2010, 2:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fixed dead link, added link to VirtualLabs
Paralith
Resident Expert

Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: SCF Behavior Science Library

Postby arlee on October 13th, 2014, 12:55 am 

I noticed the listing of "Evolution of Religion" in the library.
I looked at the aims and methods of the group that is concerned with this.
I do not see why this work would be included in a list of valuable Behavioral Science pubs.
The authors propose that religion has caused or enhanced survival during the evolution of our human species.
In order to prove causation, one must perform a relevant and carefully designed experment. It is impossible to perform the experiment that will prove this idea. You need to control the independent variables and measure the dependent variables. Performing related experiments does not prove the main hypothesis. It is the old problem of trying to prove causation when there is only a correlation. Religion may be correlated with evolutionary success, but that does not say that it causes it. A third factor may be causing both.

I have thought about this issue for many years and my personal opinion is that there is an important third factor: the evolution of attempts to EXPLAIN the environment. Such attempts would be of obvious benefit for survival. Before the rise of science such explanations would involve myths, fantasy, faulty reasoning, and of course religion.
arlee
Forum Neophyte

Return to Behavioral Science