Drama Free Genre

Discussions on behavioral ecology, evolutionary psychology, neurology, endocrinology, game theory, etc.

Drama Free Genre

Postby zetreque on August 21st, 2016, 2:53 am 

I started a post a while back asking "Why Drama?".
viewtopic.php?f=124&t=28356
This is kind of a sequel to that but different that I was just hoping to get some feedback on to help develop my thought. I'll put it in the same forum as that one but not sure where it fits.

I often find myself watching good movies that get ruined by adding in some sort of plot or "drama".

Maybe I am just weird but often think I would love a movie that was just all goodness. I like happy stories with happy endings and no significant drama plot twists. Just creativity and fun.

I'm wondering if this could be a new type of unexplored genre.

Let me try to explain what I am thinking if I can.

An example might be an amusement park. They are fun. We go on rides and enjoy experiences. I suppose you could say that as the rollercoaster falls off it's first drop that it would be dramatic. Or maybe the one ride that got your stomach churned and caused you to throw up would be a drama plot point. But I see them more as just a fun normal expected experience.

I'm thinking of potential movies/stories where the main character exists in a different kind of situation/reality/environment but there are no zombies out to get him. There are no aliens out to destroy the world. There are no psychopathic lunatic serial killers. Just a different way of looking at life. Maybe a what if scenario.

I think I recall someone (maybe on here) saying that movies used to be for people to go and escape reality of all the craziness going on in the world. Like back during world wars.

With all the drama and craziness in today's world, I don't want to see more of it in the movies. Could the world use a new style of drama free genre? My idea does sound like it would be somewhat boring but if people will waste their time watching reality tv shows, maybe this crazy idea might just work?

After all. Wasn't Seinfeld just "A show about nothing"?
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)
vivian maxine liked this post

Re: Drama Free Genre

Postby vivian maxine on August 21st, 2016, 6:11 am 

And a book without a murder in it? Just once?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby neuro on August 21st, 2016, 9:32 am 

I'm not sure I'm following.
Are you using the term "drama" to indicate violence, evil acting, disasters and so on?

'Cause I thought (but I don't obviously know what is the use of the word in English) that "drama" indicated the acting itself, and possibly the representation of "pathos", which is suffering, generally speaking. Suffering in drama adds the incredibly powerful effect of catharsis. Stories and movies with no suffering at all are not particularly effective in escaping reality.

On the other hand, there is an alternative, which still maintains a good cathartic energy: irony. Because irony may well amuse you, but it teaches you to make a step back and look at things from a different (possibly paradoxical) perspective. And nothing is more effective in facing the difficulties of life than being able to step back and look at things in a different way.
neuro
Forum Moderator

Postby Braininvat on August 21st, 2016, 12:04 pm 

There are plenty of indie films and "art films" that aren't conventionally plotted or dramatic. An Italian film I saw recently, Le Quattro Volte, is an example. Or the metaphysical films of Gaspar Noe. Am a bit of an alternative film buff.

As Neuro points out, irony can also be a good propellant of film.

Jodorowski's "El Topo" is another good one, quite surreal.

As for drama, I liked Faulkner's definition, " the human heart, in conflict with itself."
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on August 21st, 2016, 12:16 pm 

Neuro, I'll let Zetreque speak for himself but I think I see what he is asking. What I think Zetreque is asking is "can a new way be tried? Can we have a drama form where happiness and satisfaction take center stage? We are seeing so much bad around us right now, can't we escape it for a couple of hours? Escape reality for a brief time?

You are right about what drama and literature are supposed to be. This new form would not pass muster under the microscope of "what is good literature or drama". But who said drama had to be the way it is? Who says a new genre cannot be tried and who says it would not succeed? I'm sure you doubt it would as do I but I wouldn't mind seeing it tried. It would be quite a challenge. It would require an exceptionally imaginative and creative writer and those are rare. Call it a scientific experiment in literary form.

"...he tackled the job that couldn't be done and he did it..." (Edgar Guest)
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on August 21st, 2016, 2:22 pm 

Yes, that's pretty much it vivian maxine.

Maybe remaking movies into a different genre. Take for example the movie which I think is already a remake "I am Legend". What if the movie had no zombies? That was the main source of drama. Instead, after all the people disappear he just goes around having a good time? Maybe it's just him and someone else so there is at least some companionship other than the dog. They just have one hell of a good time and there is no additional drama where the dog dies or someone gets hurt. Instead the focus of the film is just on all the cool things they could do.

Another similar situation would be the movie Cast Away which ended up being a flop apparently. That movie could have been more fun without all the drama aspects of being alone.

Or space exploration movies. I'm not sure exactly how to make them not be dreadfully boring if there isn't some alien species out to kill us but the adventure of discovery in itself is fascinating. At least to me and anyone else interested in missions like Juno. Even without the corny black hole or time travel stuff.

Or you take an action movie and instead of the 45 minute fight scene where the bad guy keeps waking up and attacking the hero from behind you.... I'm not sure. :) Maybe they just solve the problem right away then get on with it instead of making the entire movie about some stupid problem where if the guy would have just put the bolt in the hole in the first 5 minutes, there wouldn't be a movie. Instead, maybe he puts the bolt in the hole with a nut and lock-tite and then continues building the structure and then we have some rad building like a space elevator without some evil guy plotting to destroy it. Then they can go abotu using it and it's a happy ending. hmmm
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby vivian maxine on August 21st, 2016, 2:58 pm 

A space exploration one I'd love. I can't talk specific movies because it has been too long since I last saw one. But it's the same with books. A woman I know writes a great series about lie in the old genteel South. A murder in each one. I finally wrote and asked her if it isn't possible to write a mystery without a murder. She did it in her next book and it was great. Not quite the same because there was still crime but no one got killed. There was drama and suspense. But it was light.

I think it's a great idea. Maybe someone will do it. I'd be surprised if it caught on because people seem to go for "blood and gore" but we can dream.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on August 21st, 2016, 3:32 pm 

I somehow have the feeling you see mostly grade B movies, Z. Many good classic dramas out there, that don't rely on the cheesy action and cliches you describe. The American Film Institute has lists of best films, might offer you something better than the usual genre blockbusters larded with CGI and violence.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on August 21st, 2016, 4:01 pm 

vivian maxine » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:58 am wrote: I finally wrote and asked her if it isn't possible to write a mystery without a murder. She did it in her next book and it was great. Not quite the same because there was still crime but no one got killed. There was drama and suspense. But it was light.

A mystery without a crime or violence. I like it. :)
It would be more unique in that people could think a crime was behind the mystery only to find out that it was something totally unexpected or maybe ironic (neuro)?

And not one of those cheesy misunderstandings that tv shows often play out.

I have a real life mystery in mind right now that could have been a crime, but maybe not. I will never know. (Found several gold fillings with my metal detector once in a unique location)
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on August 21st, 2016, 4:02 pm 

Braininvat » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:32 pm wrote: The American Film Institute has lists of best films, might offer you something better than the usual genre blockbusters larded with CGI and violence.

Or combine the blockbuster CGI rubbish with good ol documentary slash artsy movies?
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Return to Behavioral Science