Wash your hands and cleanse your mind

Discussions on behavioral ecology, evolutionary psychology, neurology, endocrinology, game theory, etc.

Wash your hands and cleanse your mind

Postby vivian maxine on September 11th, 2016, 3:32 pm 

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =126611413

Mr. Spike Lee (Graduate Student - Dept. of Psychology - University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, has tested the metaphor and the journal Science is publishing the results. Mr. Lee says "Yes, hand washing can actually change your thinking."
vivian maxine
Resident Member

BioWizard liked this post

Re: Wash your hands and cleanse your mind

Postby BadgerJelly on September 12th, 2016, 3:57 am 

I have been interested in ritual for a long time. For those who view magick/witchcraft as nonsense this may help yiu understand how it is a strange use of psychology in respect to what is mentioned in this interview. The combination of ritual action related to verbal narratives (mythically/culturally inherited) and, of course, superstitionin relation to placebo effect.

I am not saying that the ritual of washing hands works only because of how we refer to clensing as a ritual clensing, but the sime act has this embedded in it and is reproduced in language. It could be that this does only occur because of language but I doubt that because the sensation of "washing/cleaning/clensing" is an action made to produce a removal of some kind.

I would assume that a great number of actions change our way of thinking and that many of these actions would be stronger or weaker from person to person depending on how they consider their action. As an example a professional dancer in the act of dancing may have a different change of thinking than a non-professional dancer, or that the circumstance of the dancing may produce a similar effect regardless of professionalism.

I am sure that Zen buddhism can relate to this study too. Although the point of Zen is in the knowledge of the idea of clensing having an effect on thinking. So once you've read this study and go and wash your hands you are partaking in a kind of Zen act :)
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Athena on September 21st, 2016, 2:06 am 

I think there is something to washing our hands and cleansing our mind. Did you see the musical South Pacific? In that movie a woman sings, "I am going to wash that man out of my hair" and I think everyone understood the man wasn't actually wasn't in her hair, but the idea of washing him away gave her a degree of comfort, and she needed that comfort because she was distressed with the relationship. The cleansing of her hair, therefore, relieving her distress.

Clearly, as BadgerJelly said cleansing our body is religiously associated with cleansing ourselves physically, mentally and spiritually. I think this true of all major religions. Hinduism and Yoga is very much about being clean, and this includes not only washing but also dietary restrictions. Jews have restrictions on food as well, and in the context of the OP I can see how all these traditions might heighten a religious identity and possibly religious experience.

I have a Qabala book that explains the importance of rituals. I think I will pull it out reread why it says ritual is important. It might be supportive of the reasoning in the OP.
Athena
Banned User

Postby BadgerJelly on October 1st, 2016, 12:58 am 

Practical "Magick" is all about this kind of technique. Never read the Qabala, but I can say Wicca makes strong use of this psychological phenomenon.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Return to Behavioral Science