DE-EXTINCTION.

Discussions on behavioral ecology, evolutionary psychology, neurology, endocrinology, game theory, etc.

DE-EXTINCTION.

Postby Shan1825 on June 3rd, 2017, 10:29 am 

Hiya guys.
I am studying an Extended Diploma in Animal Management and am carrying out an assessment for my investigative project by surveying opinions and doing research.
I have chosen to do about the science behind de-extinction and the idea of reviving extinct species by using their DNA. This is a really exiting topic because it is something scientists are eager to carry out.
It would be fantastic if I gained opinions from people on any of these questions you choose-
Do you think De-extinction is ethical or are we messing with nature too much?
Do you believe the revived animal would survive?
Which animals would you want to be brought back and why?
Do you think extinctions in the past helped the Earth to evolve for the better?
Thanks.
Shan1825
Forum Neophyte

Re: DE-EXTINCTION.

Postby thehedglin on June 3rd, 2017, 2:29 pm 

Shan1825 » June 3rd, 2017, 9:29 am wrote:Do you think De-extinction is ethical or are we messing with nature too much?

Considering many of the animals we have good DNA from are ones we forced into extinction, we may not have any basis for being ethically pedantic about it.

Shan1825 » June 3rd, 2017, 9:29 am wrote:Do you believe the revived animal would survive?

Depends on if their natural environment still exists, and if we can keep them from going extinct with conservation measures.

Shan1825 » June 3rd, 2017, 9:29 am wrote:Which animals would you want to be brought back and why?

Thylacine. Because I think they look awesome.

Shan1825 » June 3rd, 2017, 9:29 am wrote:Do you think extinctions in the past helped the Earth to evolve for the better?

Some may have, others probably had very little impact globally.

You are welcome.
thehedglin
Forum Neophyte

Shan1825 liked this post

Re: DE-EXTINCTION.

Postby Shan1825 on June 4th, 2017, 11:52 am 

Thank you very much for your reply thehedglin, I am very interested about the effect De-extinction may have on Conservational efforts and as I am hoping to study in this field. Your answers are thought out and you have raised a really interesting point regarding the first question :) cheers.
Shan1825
Forum Neophyte

Return to Behavioral Science