Borderline Personality Disorder

Discussions on behavioral ecology, evolutionary psychology, neurology, endocrinology, game theory, etc.

Borderline Personality Disorder

Postby BadgerJelly on October 3rd, 2017, 3:17 am 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borderline_personality_disorder

BPD's causes are unclear, but seem to involve genetic, brain, environmental, and social factors.

This just made laugh and then made me think.

Really what is being said here is "life" causes BPD's. It reminds me of a certain reductionism involved in evolutionary thinking when they say the "genes" do it, and of course the society and environment matters too, but we just focus on the genes.

Psychological problems are caused by life. They are not reducable to physical matter nor to some form of "spiritualism". Things happen and we kame choices, some directions lead us further from our sense of self and others lead us more toward a sense of self.

Does anyone really disagree with this and find the above quote amusing?

note: of course I am aware that we possess a certain "disposition."
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

zetreque liked this post

Re: Borderline Personality Disorder

Postby Serpent on October 3rd, 2017, 9:25 am 

What's a personality? How is it supposed to be ordered? How can you tell when it's disordered? Where is the border between ordered and disordered personality?
WTF is BPD?

Other than that, no, I'm pretty much okay with what you said.
Of course, when things go awry, it's easier to study the quantifiable factors, and that tends to lead, at least part way, to the neglect of factors that haven't been recorded or counted.
And may labeling, even as vaguely as this, helps put something that's gone awry in a perspective that's easier than deal with than "life".
Serpent
Resident Member

Return to Behavioral Science