Neuro-linguistic programming

Discussions on behavioral ecology, evolutionary psychology, neurology, endocrinology, game theory, etc.

Neuro-linguistic programming

Postby BadgerJelly on November 15th, 2017, 8:44 am 

Science or pseudoscience?

I have found this whole subject quite interesting. In principle I can kind of understand how this could work, and having seen examples of how powerful this can be (or seemingly so) I am curious about neurological studies in this area.

Although this is not what NLP aims to do (generally being a method meant to treat people for various "stress disorders"/"anxiety") I do find it a very interesting area:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cthKLv7RZWQ

Derren Brown has been a great voice that cuts through a lot of the nonsense surrounding extreme claims. So is what people call "neuro-linguistic programming" connected to the power of suggestion?

Just for a follow up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dJ3-N0HL4A

My curiosity is mainly in the area of the long term effects of these kinds of methods. In clinical psychology we know of methods that do work (the age old "facing fears".)
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Re: Neuro-linguistic programming

Postby Mossling on November 16th, 2017, 4:32 am 

As far as I am aware it is not pseudo-science.

It revolves around the fact that we make assumptions about what is being communicated all the time.

If you walk into a room and I am standing there and I point to an empty chair beside me, what do you do next? Maybe you will sit down, but if the chair has a price tag on it then maybe you think I am asking you to buy it.

So when the situation is not particularly clear, the mind goes on a trans-derivational search to come up with the most likely 'truth' of the situation. In the case of NLP practitioners, the truth is that they are purposefully using your trans-derivational searching to their advantage.

To hypnotize someone you need to assert some sort of authority over their consciousness - whether academic qualifications or reputation as a mystic, or whatever, so when they go on their transderivational search, they will include you in their sources of 'clues' about what is going on in their mind.

Once the person considers you more of an authority over their consciousness than they do (as Derren Brown's 'victims' often do, for example (something which becomes more and more powerful the more famous he gets)), then you are ready to begin feeding them with subconscious suggestions from the linguistic periphery of the situation.

One of the most famous instant hypnotic induction methods is the Ericksonian handshake - a weird handshake that makes you think "what the...?!" and while your mind searches for answers, the famous and prolific psychologist Erickson would subtly feed his 'victim' suggestions.

This can create some very powerful outcomes - for example Derren Brown changing what Simon Pegg even wanted for his birthday in his own mind:

Just extrapolate this process to what goes on in cults and it all becomes pretty obvious what is actually happening within those groups. No wonder they call them 'hypnotic cult' and so forth.
Mossling

Blog: View Blog (54)

Postby BadgerJelly on November 16th, 2017, 5:03 am 

I use it a lot in writing.

I have still not quite got where I want to get, need to refine my writing more (I mean creative writing btw.) A novel I am trying to put together is meant to be one huge play on narrative, myth and words. My idea is to create a "feel" for the reader without telling them. This involves how they visualize certain races within my world.

Most of the comments I get (they don't know what I am trying to do btw) say its obscure or too "flowery". The problem is knowing whether what I intend hits as I intend. A couple of instances I did manage to portray something not blatant, but it is really hard to know, even for the reader, what they are reading into the scene subconsciously!

Anyway, it's fun/frustrating trying :)
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Mossling on November 16th, 2017, 6:03 am 

Interesting idea :)
Mossling

Blog: View Blog (54)

Return to Behavioral Science