Self-Made Man

Discussions on behavioral ecology, evolutionary psychology, neurology, endocrinology, game theory, etc.

Self-Made Man

Postby BadgerJelly on November 18th, 2017, 1:48 pm 

Maybe you've heard of this before?

It is about a woman who pretended to be a man for 18 months!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip7kP_dd6LU

Interesting perspective.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Re: Self-Made Man

Postby wolfhnd on November 18th, 2017, 4:51 pm 

I saw it and of course it is totally anecdotal and subjective. On the other hand so are most of the claims made by feminist about the patriarchy.

The bottom line is people have problems no matter their race or sex. If you focus to narrowly your view becomes distorted.
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby mitchellmckain on November 18th, 2017, 5:53 pm 

Yes it was interesting particularly in the areas where the she found out she was wrong and came to see her own feminist bias. It is possible there was a small amount of projecting involved. The unfulfilled need for intimacy she saw in men may have been slightly exaggerated by her own need for intimacy.

Of course it was anecdotal and subjective as wolfhnd says. One of the weaknesses here was the way it went after the typical or quintessential male experience. The truth is that there are many kinds of men depending on their interest: there is the intellectual male, there is stay-home dad, there musician, writer or artist, there are those totally focused on physical accomplishments, there is the lone survivalist/naturalist, there is the obsessed collector, there is the charismatic politician,... etc.... This is not to say that there is not thread of commonality, but... without seeing the full spectrum your view can be a little distorted. For example... just in the area of sexuality, not all men will even try to pick up girls and so to assume all are so greatly driven is a misconception. Many many men simply mind their own business until a girl goes after them. These are often overlooked in stories and film but I think there are more men like this than the media portrays.
mitchellmckain

Braininvat liked this post

Postby Braininvat on November 18th, 2017, 6:13 pm 

"The Big Lebowski" could give one a distorted picture of male camaraderie while bowling. :-)
Braininvat
Resident Member

BadgerJelly liked this post

Postby wolfhnd on November 18th, 2017, 11:07 pm 

It seems like if you had a choice you would want to be a white male. On the other hand you would probably rather be an oriental women lawyer than a white male coal miner. Life is complicated.
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Postby BadgerJelly on November 19th, 2017, 1:38 am 

I admire her for really exploring a very curious subject. In a world of fractured views there is no end to the possibilities of living to explore. It takes guts to step out of your own world and explore another's. Many of our fears are false and many of our dreams are nightmares (well, so I've found!)

I was interested in how she felt she was coming unhinged by playing the role. I have heard of many actors who become so involved with the characters they're playing that they have shifts in personality.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby wolfhnd on November 19th, 2017, 2:31 am 

BadgerJelly » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:38 am wrote:I admire her for really exploring a very curious subject. In a world of fractured views there is no end to the possibilities of living to explore. It takes guts to step out of your own world and explore another's. Many of our fears are false and many of our dreams are nightmares (well, so I've found!)

I was interested in how she felt she was coming unhinged by playing the role. I have heard of many actors who become so involved with the characters they're playing that they have shifts in personality.

For most people here it may seem only natural to confirm any hypotheses with experimentation. Unfortunately most people prefer to be told what to think, to conform to orthodoxy and avoid the experiences that raise the tyranny of infinitely regressive questions that we call study.
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Postby BadgerJelly on November 19th, 2017, 2:40 am 

Wolf -

Life is scary and dangerous. Tyranny for one is the required comfort of another. I guess we all need to bang our own drum and apply our own little "tyranny" to the world :P
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Return to Behavioral Science