Synaesthesia - can you hear the thud?

Discussions on behavioral ecology, evolutionary psychology, neurology, endocrinology, game theory, etc.

Synaesthesia - can you hear the thud?

Postby Braininvat on December 16th, 2017, 12:05 pm 

http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/social/can-you-hear-a-noise-in-this-gif-of-electricity-transmission-tower-jumping/news-story/4d45f395fcd3c1da85de4229037f9752

Delightful GIF. It is quite silent - there is no audio track.

I experience a bit of synaesthesia, the other direction. If my eyes are closed and I am drowsing, a sharp noise will sometimes elicit a little sprinkling of pale dots near the center of my visual field - kind of like a burst of confetti. Once in a while, it will be more of a solid streak of warm color.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

wolfhnd liked this post

Re: Synaesthesia - can you hear the thud?

Postby Serpent on December 16th, 2017, 12:37 pm 

No, I can't hear anything. I get the odd peculiar noise in my head, but it's elicited by physical sensations, not images.
My visual cross-overs are mostly of colour: shapes, numbers and letters are associated more or less definitely with colours and textures. I understand that's the most common synaesthetic experience. An acquaintance of ours uses a kind of imaginary rainbow to recall phone numbers. Unfortunately, that doesn't work for me.
Serpent
Resident Member

Return to Behavioral Science