Lightsabers?

Discussions on introductory science topics. Ask simple or beginner questions and expect clear and level answers.

Lightsabers?

Postby DarthLectoas on December 30th, 2016, 11:04 pm 

Yes, I'm going to go there...
What (if any) are the possibilities to making this a reality? I'm thinking similar to the plasma cigarette lighters on the market but on a larger scale. Or this nothing but wishful thinking at best?
DarthLectoas
Forum Neophyte

zetreque liked this post

Re: Lightsabers?

Postby zetreque on December 31st, 2016, 2:13 am 

Easier to engineer a device that is as long as a sword when not powered. Something that comes out of the handle when powered and stops about 2-3 feet away seems unlikely.

I wonder what the limits to a metal cutting torch length are.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Scott Mayers on December 31st, 2016, 2:28 am 

Also, if it could be possible as a laser source, it would have to be quiet powerful to cut and so require quite some battery power (or plug in?). And it would be highly DANGEROUS. You'd likely end up killing yourself for using it.
Scott Mayers

Postby zetreque on December 31st, 2016, 2:29 am 

Just found this
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)
Scott Mayers liked this post

Postby Dave_Oblad on December 31st, 2016, 4:25 am 

Hi DarthLectoas,

Welcome to the Forums.

I think such will be possible in a few decades. We first need to Master Quantum Mechanics.. today it is still at the baby stages. We will find the Quantum behaves much like a Computer and anything we can do inside a Computer can have its Parallel in Reality. Since I can easily construct a Lightsaber in VR then I predict we will be able to do the same in Reality. If one extends the Range of such.. you could literally cut our Planet in Half. The two halves would stay stuck together due to Gravity.. but the pressure release along the clean seam may be devastating.

So let's keep such future Technology out of the hands of children and megalomaniacs.

Best wishes,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Beginner Science