Hypothetical question scientist discover smallest unit of...

Discussions on introductory science topics. Ask simple or beginner questions and expect clear and level answers.

Hypothetical question scientist discover smallest unit of...

Postby tj444 on October 19th, 2018, 3:13 am 

scientist discover smallest unit of time. The clock uses light.

For the setup I am using the train example in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AInCqm5nCzw

A single Clock takes 360 ticks of smallest unit of time and uses light speed to complete 1 rotation of the clock.
The clock is on a train traveling .5 speed of light. From my limited understanding the clock should tick upwards to downwards in a straight line, from Alice perceptive. Alice happens to be on the train and Alice is standing still.

Now Bob is on a stationary platform with no movement. Bob views Alice's clock. Bob could actually be on any platform just at a different speed I just used stationary for simplicity. The speed of Bob clock confuses me if it faster or slower. Could someone explain this. I understand the clock ticks at different speed and the light won't reflect off the mirror in a straight line from Bob's perceptive.

Now this may be a series of stupid question. What if "Bob's clocks movement can't be divided into 360, and gets 1 tick per smallest unit of time and light?"

I.O.W quotations means: if ( bob_clock_movement_per_tick% 360 != 1)

The reason I am using 360 is that is how many times a circle can be evenly divided the maximum amount of time.

Now I take a picture when it is at 1 rotation. Won't I see a smaller unit of time than the smallest unit of time? Or could I only measure full rotations every once in a while and not every rotation?

Any difference in time dilation between Alice and Bob can be used i was just using my example as an example.
tj444

Return to Beginner Science