light speed

Discussions on introductory science topics. Ask simple or beginner questions and expect clear and level answers.

light speed

Postby mfa5 on July 9th, 2010, 9:12 am 

as light is emitted afresh regardless the velocity of the agent (torch) etc emitting it...does it not follow automatically that its velocity will be uniquely independent of the velocity of the agent?
mfa5
Forum Neophyte

Re: light speed

Postby Lincoln on July 9th, 2010, 12:12 pm 

If I understood your question correctly, yes. The speed of light is the same, irrespective of the velocity of the emitting agent.
Lincoln
Resident Expert

Postby mfa5 on July 9th, 2010, 12:38 pm 

thanks for that....i am just a layperson...but reading the material it seems that this is regarded as a something of a "mystery"....but is it not just inevitable per se
mfa5
Forum Neophyte

Postby Lincoln on July 9th, 2010, 12:42 pm 

Well, it was a mystery...a huge one at that. However, it's not a mystery anymore.

The way I think about it is to say that all objects travel at one and only one speed....the speed of light. They can travel the speed of light through space or the speed of light through time. Light is simply the material that travels that speed solely through space and not at all through time.

That's gets you most of the way to understanding things. But it took a long time for it to sink in.
Lincoln
Resident Expert

Postby Natural ChemE on July 9th, 2010, 10:19 pm 

vvxifeng16,

Welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately, it seems that you may've misworded your question. Would you mind rephrasing it?
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Return to Beginner Science