do computers need us if they have cloning?

Discussions on introductory science topics. Ask simple or beginner questions and expect clear and level answers.

do computers need us if they have cloning?

Postby xrisxs on January 31st, 2011, 4:21 pm 

if we have the ability to clone then if computers advance somehow and all they need is a few of us then all they would really need to do is clone us. so that makes me think that we have out done ourselves..i could only imagine the horror it would be stuck on some spaceship somewhere because i was made in an incubator controled by robots only to serve there purpose. And then when think about it some more i soon realize if i could make a 1000 dollars of me then i could make millions if i just had some clones. wow, ok, ill stop now. but is the scenario not possible? i mean if a computer hences at the idea somehow that we only slow it down then we are done for. i mean if energy is just recycled time then we will be fighting soon enough. so, do computers need us if they could just clone us?
xrisxs

Re: do computers need us if they have cloning?

Postby Whut on January 31st, 2011, 5:22 pm 

I often ponder what would happen if we created a superior intellagence like this, but without things we call love/compassion etc, or if thats even possible.

For many years now people have been thinking what youve asked, what would happen if we created an artificial intellegence that was superior to us, why would they need us? whats to stop them wiping us all out or farming us for energy etc. Im sure youve heard of the movie The Matrix, alot is based on that very question, along with many other films/cartoons etc.

I dont think we have to worry about being taken over by robots just yet. But in a cirtain light it is a very searious question to take into consideration.

Should we build something like this? Is it ethical? or, should we just stick to what we need AI to do?

Is creating something that is as aware as us, alive as us, serve any purpose other then "hey look what i can do"?

I guess you could say it would teach us alot about ourselves, but then again, woulnt we already know this stuff if we created something like this?

Although I'm fairly cirtain that if we find out how to create something like this, it will be done one way or another, unless the information on how its done was kept a secret, i guess.

Ive heard some people talk of a theory that becuase humans can only work out so much stuff, taking alot of time etc, that it would be benificial to create something like this, so it could do the working out for us! wouldnt that be cool.

But to make something that can do this, does it need to be aware, in the same way we are, would it need to have desires, to work? or would it be possible to only create it in a way that it only serves the function of working stuff out?

An intresting subject, but my knowlege on it is mostly superficial tbh.
Whut

Postby xrisxs on February 1st, 2011, 1:53 pm 

well at this point we sure cannot kill the computer can we? I mean in all reality could we kill the computer. I mean if earth blew up then I guess it is dead but I mean we have sent out some messages by now and been to the moon. We have already spoiled the computer for our survival. We did not even ask questions. Heck, I honestly think it was a matter of time anyway. Inevidable. I keep feeling like we are the heart of the computer.
xrisxs

Postby tess on February 3rd, 2011, 4:48 pm 

anything which will clone / by the laws of evolution / will have a very short life.

So who cares?
tess

Postby BioWizard on February 3rd, 2011, 5:36 pm 

tess wrote:anything which will clone / by the laws of evolution / will have a very short life.

So who cares?

Good point.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Paralith on February 3rd, 2011, 6:01 pm 

Huh?
Paralith
Resident Expert

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby tess on February 6th, 2011, 2:24 pm 

I just have another thought about this subject.

Let’s say we will create such a ‘computer’ and let’s say they will become independent and self programming. /i.e. self changing not just cloning themselves/’

Should we assume that they will be aggressive as us humans?
We are a product of evolution. The law of survival creates aggression. Why do we assume that those ‘creatures will be govern by the same laws and emotions?

Will those ‘computers’ need to clone us? After all, humans are very fragile, unpredicted and energy insufficient.

Maybe just maybe, evolution aims on ‘living matter’ changing form.

If it does, I hope those new ‘things’ will program themselves with all positive emotions and dispose the negative.
tess

Postby BioWizard on February 6th, 2011, 2:34 pm 

I find myself agreeing with you here tess. I've gotten into several of these discussions before, and I've always held the opinion that projecting too much of the trends of our evolution onto what the evolution of these machines would be, is probably misguided. Everything we are and everything we've come to be is deeply entrenched in our biology and the materials that make it up. Once you make a complete leap to an entirely different medium and resource harvest/consumption, I think the rules of the entire game might change with it.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby tess on February 6th, 2011, 3:12 pm 

BioWizard wrote:I find myself agreeing with you here tess. I've gotten into several of these discussions before, and I've always held the opinion that projecting too much of the trends of our evolution onto what the evolution of these machines would be, is probably misguided. Everything we are and everything we've come to be is deeply entrenched in our biology and the materials that make it up. Once you make a complete leap to an entirely different medium and resource harvest/consumption, I think the rules of the entire game might change with it.

PLS note I know very little about the subject .

I find it very amusing that we always search for 'life' assuming that carbon-based life.
There is no doubt that life as far as we know has carbon in its backbone.
Some futurist talk about silicon-based life but this goes as far as this.

However, who said that for example function of ‘’nucleic acids’’, ‘’proteins’’ could not be based and build using other elements.

Not long ago, we believed life is not possible without oxygen. We have been proven wrong. What next?
tess

Return to Beginner Science