heart and left side brain?

Discussions on introductory science topics. Ask simple or beginner questions and expect clear and level answers.

heart and left side brain?

Postby xrisxs on February 4th, 2011, 2:44 pm 

Ok i am sure you guys are tired of my silly questions but I still ask. If a man were to be cut in half like between the brains as to have two legs, could you live? I always fantasized about the heart going with the side of the brain that needed more energy so to speek..in fantasy if one side of the brain is what happened and the other is not then i would think it would go with the side that needs it more. And would it be obvious if any side were to stay alive it would be the side with the heart?
xrisxs

Re: heart and left side brain?

Postby Paralith on February 4th, 2011, 2:52 pm 

Yes, you could live, though you would be impaired in a variety of ways. There is a genetic disorder where people can essentially be born without the brain structure that connects the two hemispheres; these people are often severely autistic, however.

neuro should be able to tell you more.
Paralith
Resident Expert

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby CanadysPeak on February 4th, 2011, 4:13 pm 

Paralith wrote:Yes, you could live, though you would be impaired in a variety of ways. There is a genetic disorder where people can essentially be born without the brain structure that connects the two hemispheres; these people are often severely autistic, however.

neuro should be able to tell you more.

Forget the brain. A fairly useless organ in most non-engineers. You must have a liver.
CanadysPeak
Resident Expert

Postby neuro on February 4th, 2011, 5:15 pm 

xrisxs wrote:Ok i am sure you guys are tired of my silly questions but I still ask. If a man were to be cut in half like between the brains as to have two legs, could you live? I always fantasized about the heart going with the side of the brain that needed more energy so to speek..in fantasy if one side of the brain is what happened and the other is not then i would think it would go with the side that needs it more. And would it be obvious if any side were to stay alive it would be the side with the heart?

I am not quite clear about your question.
If you are asking "could a person live with the brain cut in two halves?", the answer is "yes, they could"; some people do live with (partially, but in some cases almost fully) split brain, as a consequence of surgical operations to fight intractable epilepsy.

If you are asking "could a person live with only half of the brain?", the answer is "it is very likely they could".

If you are asking "is there an asymmetry such that the left brain may sustain survival but the right one might not?" the answer is "though the two hemispheres are not perfectly equivalent, they can to a grat extent vicariate each other's functions"; this may not be true for higher mental function but is surely so for functions related to biological survival.

If you are asking "is there a difference between the cerebral hemispheres, linked to the heart being left-sided?", then just consider that the heart is not left-sided. It sits diagonally at the center of the thorax so that the ventricles are more left-sided than the atria, and the apex is even more left-shifted, which makes the heart-beat much more strong on the left side. The whole circulatory tree, on the other hand, is almost perfectly symmetric, apart from the path of the aorta and visceral vascularization (due to the fact that most viscera are not symmetric).
neuro
Forum Moderator

Postby samuelarnold on March 4th, 2011, 3:39 am 

I think we could not live, since our left brain controls the right part of our body and right brain controls left part.
samuelarnold
Banned User

Postby xrisxs on March 8th, 2011, 3:28 pm 

Thank you for answers. I imagined a bit if the body was cut into down the middle if one side stayed alive more than the other side and if so what was the reason. Not being horrific in thought but was thinking that maybe the side that had most of the heart would stay alive longer. If your cut into I am sure you die imediately. I was just maybe hinting at the heart maybe being with the side of the brain that maybe had some meaning. I know a person cut in half would not make two people. But if you were to have anyone side and that side only which side would you most likely need to keep him alive if any chance at all? not important, I was just thinking of course you would want the side with the heart. You have answered me quite respectfuly already and have given your time. thank you for that..
xrisxs

Return to Beginner Science