They pass through the body

Discussions on introductory science topics. Ask simple or beginner questions and expect clear and level answers.

They pass through the body

Postby vivian maxine on December 24th, 2015, 8:16 am 

What did I once read about that can pass through our bodies without us even being aware? Was it protons? And had it anything to do with dark matter? I ask because of something I read last night. Only want to know if it was protons and if it anyway connected to dark matter. Then, I'll read again.

Thank you.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: They pass through the body

Postby Eclogite on December 24th, 2015, 11:22 am 

Neutrinos would be the most obvious choice. Most neutrinos have no difficulty passing through the Earth without interacting. (A tiny percentage are "captured" in underground chambers filled with a suitable fluid. (I think water can be used, but the first devices used the chemical used in dry cleaning.)

Protons won't make it any distance at all, given there large mass and positive charge.

Since dark matter interacts only via the gravitational force i would expect it to be able to pass through your body also. However, that is an educated guess, not an informed opinion.
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Postby vivian maxine on December 24th, 2015, 11:52 am 

Eclogite » December 24th, 2015, 10:22 am wrote:Neutrinos would be the most obvious choice. Most neutrinos have no difficulty passing through the Earth without interacting. (A tiny percentage are "captured" in underground chambers filled with a suitable fluid. (I think water can be used, but the first devices used the chemical used in dry cleaning.)

Protons won't make it any distance at all, given there large mass and positive charge.

Since dark matter interacts only via the gravitational force i would expect it to be able to pass through your body also. However, that is an educated guess, not an informed opinion.

Neutrinos! Yes, I think that was it. Now I must go back and read what the author was saying. It didn't stay with me overnight. Only a note to ask what I asked. I know it had to do with protons and dark matter. Don't want to quote wrong.

Thank you very much.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Watson on December 24th, 2015, 1:27 pm 

Also, depending on the form of dark matter you find most likely, that to could be passing through us and our region of the Universe completely independent of our activities.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby vivian maxine on December 24th, 2015, 1:54 pm 

Watson » December 24th, 2015, 12:27 pm wrote:Also, depending on the form of dark matter you find most likely, that to could be passing through us and our region of the Universe completely independent of our activities.

This is the point the author is making - that dark matter passes through bodies un-noticed. I was wrong about how protons got involved. What she said was "Every cubic centimeter around you contains about a proton's mass worth of matter....if dark matter is composed of particles whose mass is comparable to those we know of and if those particles travel at the velocity that we expect based on well-understood dynamics, billions of dark matter particles pass through each of us every second."

The book is "Dark Matter and the Dinosaurs" by Lisa Randall. Notice her use of the word "if". She is not making declarations of fact. She says: "The mystery that my colleagues and I hope to solve is what precisely dark matter is composed of."

In the Books, Movies and Podcasts forum, Marshall has written some very good reviews of the book as well as Lisa Randall's theories and works. I thank you again, Marshall. I asked Santa for the book and he came through with flying reindeer. :-)
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Watson on December 24th, 2015, 2:56 pm 

I was wondering if that was the book, even before you mentioned it. I saw the author interviewed on a morning news show. I was listening for something definitive when she mentioned dark matter, but she made it overly clear, it was 'IF' and admitted it was mostly speculative. More to fit the dinosaurs story I think, rather than the science but it should be an interesting read none the less.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby vivian maxine on December 24th, 2015, 3:17 pm 

If I remember rightly from the Introduction, she is concentrating mostly on dark matter but she thinks dark matter might have/could have caused a disruption that caused the comet to crash. We shall see. It is slow reading for me, partly because she is spending a lot of time describing things that you likely already know and partly because it is late and I'm falling asleep over it. :-)
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Marshall on December 24th, 2015, 3:21 pm 

Cosmic Gall
-John Updike-

Neutrinos, they are very small.
They have no charge, almost no mass,
And do not interact at all.
The earth is just a silly ball
To them, through which they simply pass,
Like dustmaids down a drafty hall
Or photons through a sheet of glass.
They snub the most exquisite gas,
Ignore the most substantial wall,
Cold-shoulder steel and sounding brass,
Insult the stallion in his stall,
And scorning barriers of class,
Infiltrate you and me! Like tall
And painless guillotines, they fall
Down through our heads into the grass.
At night, they enter at Nepal
And pierce the lover and his lass
From underneath the bed-you call
It wonderful; I call it crass.

The New Yorker Magazine, Inc. , 1960
http://www.physicscentral.com/buzz/blog ... 9848655993
In 1960 it was "and have no mass" but later it was discovered (see 2015 physics Nobel) that they do have mass, just very very small mass---so the line needs to be corrected "almost no mass"
Marshall
Honored Member

Mjr Houlihanvivian maxine liked this post

Postby Natural ChemE on December 24th, 2015, 5:31 pm 

I agree that neutrinos are likely the best answer to the OP's question, as well as that weakly interacting particles would also fit the description.

There's a recent story about how dark matter may form a beard-like formation around Earth after passing through the planet: Is Earth Growing a Hairy Dark Matter 'Beard'?, Discovery News.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

vivian maxine liked this post

Return to Beginner Science