From where do they come?

Discussions on introductory science topics. Ask simple or beginner questions and expect clear and level answers.

From where do they come?

Postby vivian maxine on February 1st, 2016, 10:33 am 

It is just a curiosity question. So, I'll put it here. Many threads in this forum have illustrations. For example: In Magnetism, Faradave demonstrates how the filings form their patterns around the magnetic fields with pictorial illustrations. Others do the same elsewhere .

When I ask "how is it done?" I don't mean a step-by-step lesson in getting it from somewhere to the thread. I only mean is it software? Is it copy/paste from online articles? From where do all these great illustrations come? Sometimes, it is the poster's own drawing, I know, but many I think have another origin. Just something I wonder about.

I think the same question would apply to web sites. The pictures the webmaster uses in headings and/or other decorations have to come from somewhere handy. Otherwise, the webmaster might be searching for days to find something suitable.

Thanks.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: From where do they come?

Postby TheVat on February 1st, 2016, 1:00 pm 

If you go to Google, at the top there is an "Image" option. Then you can search for any kind of image/graphic. I typed in "dog eats cat," and found hundreds of images like this one....I right-clicked on it and selected "Copy image location." Then I pasted that location between the image brackets offered in the full editor here. (Or I could download the image to my computer, and then later use the "Upload attachment" option that is below the full editor text window....) These images come from many sources - often they are personal photos that were uploaded from a camera to a PC to a website - or to a photo sharing service like Photobucket. Wikipedia has a huge stock of images, as well - to copy one of those, you click on it where you find it on a page, and it takes you to a separate page that just has the image, and follow the right-click procedure I described above. The only barrier, with some commercial websites, is that they do not grant permission to have their pics copied. Wikis and dot-edu sites are usually copy-friendly, though.

TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby vivian maxine on February 1st, 2016, 1:18 pm 

Well, I'll be........ I am glad I asked. That is one option I'd not thought of. Wiki and Google - perhaps others - have brought them together. How about universities with their special fields of study? You could maybe find one limited to biology or math or most anything - dot.edu

Thank you much. I shall keep my eyes open. It is especially valuable with things that are better explained with an illustration.

Please rescue the kitten. :-)
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Faradave on February 1st, 2016, 2:25 pm 

Once found, if you click or right click on an image, it will often give you its original source or take you there (e.g. to the relevant Wikipedia article).
Faradave

Postby vivian maxine on February 1st, 2016, 3:04 pm 

Faradave » February 1st, 2016, 1:25 pm wrote:Once found, if you click or right click on an image, it will often give you its original source or take you there (e.g. to the relevant Wikipedia article).

Which may protect me from infringing on a copyright. Thanks.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Return to Beginner Science