Does Time Actually Exist?

Discussions on introductory science topics. Ask simple or beginner questions and expect clear and level answers.

Does Time Actually Exist?

Postby A Curious Mind on June 4th, 2016, 2:13 pm 

I thought my question was relatively simple: Does time exist? Simple right? Of course it exists, we experience it everyday! Or do we? I considered it and the more I considered the more my belief in time faltered.
A man standing outside with water pouring down around him would believe that he was standing in a rainstorm. but what if the water is coming from a hose? Or isn't even water at all? We move through our world with a thing we call time, but what if time is merely an illusion we have constructed in our minds? Is that even possible? Time is math and I have a great deal of faith in math but I also know that the human mind will create a concept to help them feel in control.
So, my questions are these: Is time real? Does it only exist in our minds? And if it does exist in our minds does that make it real? Or is it like the gods of old? A way of explaining something we don't understand and can't control?
Apologizes if this is a ridicules question and it just annoys people.
A Curious Mind
Forum Neophyte

Re: Does Time Actually Exist?

Postby Braininvat on June 4th, 2016, 2:56 pm 

viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=55&t=30248

viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=51&t=23731

viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=51&t=30346

Samples of threads here that discuss this question. There are many others, with varying levels of accessibility to the novice philosopher. The search function may help, if you can combine terms not overly common.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Dave_Oblad on June 6th, 2016, 7:24 pm 

Hi ACM,

Yes, Time is as real as anything else in this Universe. But most people don't really understand Time as we are inclined to define it based on our personal experience. For example: I stand on the premise that Time is a physical distance in the direction of the 4th Dimension. You can't, being 3D, point at the Center of the Universe unless you can point in the direction of Yesterday.

Bravo BiV, nice collection of good posts on the subject.

Regards,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby BurtJordaan on June 7th, 2016, 12:58 am 

A Curious Mind » 04 Jun 2016, 20:13 wrote: So, my questions are these: Is time real? Does it only exist in our minds?

Time exists to prevent everything from happening at once! More scientifically, it is observed in nature as the temporal order in which causes precede effects. Nature seems not to care about our minds and perceptions.
BurtJordaan
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby ronjanec on June 7th, 2016, 12:47 pm 

BurtJordaan » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:58 pm wrote:
A Curious Mind » 04 Jun 2016, 20:13 wrote: So, my questions are these: Is time real? Does it only exist in our minds?

Time exists to prevent everything from happening at once! More scientifically, it is observed in nature as the temporal order in which causes precede effects. Nature seems not to care about our minds and perceptions.

"Time exists to prevent everything from happening at once"? Burt, the guy(or gal) who came up with this statement originally was wrong: Everything does happen at once, or "now" as this is called;

An "event" that occurred prior to what is again called "now" cannot also exist "now" because the exact same physical conditions that occurred during this past event no longer exist in the exact same way anywhere in the universe(or the American Civil War battle of Gettysburg also occurring "now" for example)

Time does not prevent everything from happening at once, it is again the exact same past physical conditions never occurring again in the universe that prevent this.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby BurtJordaan on June 8th, 2016, 1:12 am 

Well, if time did not exist (whatever that may mean), then either nothing could happen (most likely), or everything had to happen at once.

Also, since "now" is a strictly observer dependent concept, there may be an observer somewhere in the universe for which the battle of Gettysburg is happening 'now', not by 'seeing' it, but by applying his definition of simultaneity.
BurtJordaan
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby ronjanec on June 8th, 2016, 8:44 am 

BurtJordaan » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:12 pm wrote:Well, if time did not exist (whatever that may mean), then either nothing could happen (most likely), or everything had to happen at once.

Also, since "now" is a strictly observer dependent concept, there may be an observer somewhere in the universe for which the battle of Gettysburg is happening 'now', not by 'seeing' it, but by applying his definition of simultaneity.

"if time did not exist", most everything would still happen, because "time existing" basically just represents a system of synchronized measurement that man invented ("timekeeping"), and a mathematical based co-ordinate system that man also invented("Spacetime")

"now" actually represents a "state"(everything and everyone in the universe collectively existing anywhere right now) and this is not "strictly observer dependent".

Burt, I was not originally intending to get into a very long drawn out philosophical and ontological discussion about "the meaning of time" when I made my earlier post here, so I am very willing to "agree to disagree with you" about this unless you want to take this further and "go down the philosophical and ontological rabbit hole" with me. :)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Return to Beginner Science