Alternate Universe Possibility?

Discussions on introductory science topics. Ask simple or beginner questions and expect clear and level answers.

Alternate Universe Possibility?

Postby a_konig on June 11th, 2016, 9:31 am 

Could the existence of something that will never be simultaneously exist alongside what is in an alternate universe? Because everything that has existed from now must be somewhere still. I feel that there must also be some sort of surrogate timeline(s) alongside our immediate one, as the choices we make greatly impact what happens during our time on Earth.
a_konig
Forum Neophyte

Re: Alternate Universe Possibility?

Postby Dave_Oblad on June 11th, 2016, 6:53 pm 

Hi a_konig,

Welcome to the Forums.

Given that 3/10 is an infinite number and 22/7 is also an infinite number.. do they crowd each other out of existence?

If the Universe is a Mathematical Abstraction (which it probably is) then an infinite number of Universes can co-exist because none of them take up any actual Real Volume. Volume is defined internally to the Math of each Universe. The Universe is not just described by Math.. it is literally Math Incarnate.

Google "Max Tegmark" on the "Mathematical Universe" to get a better feel for what I'm saying.

We Exist as the Solution of an Equation.

Best wishes,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Dave_Oblad on June 14th, 2016, 7:28 pm 

Hi all,

Whoops.. I meant above: Given that 10/3 is an infinite number and 22/7 is also an infinite number.. do they crowd each other out of existence? How much space do they actually take up?

Of course the Equation that defines our Universe is a lot more complex that 22/7.. It must define a Growing 4D Cellular Matrix with each (Planck sized) Cell obeying some set of relational rules for processing local information. If I could somehow run the Equation on a Computer so I could see the answer myself.. and deep within its unfolding.. we find a Planet on which a Farmer lives his live within his community.. then every time I run the program and look at the same place and depth into the solution (Time) I will always find the same Farmer going about his life.

I need the Computer to witness the Farmer, but since he has always been embedded in the solution of that Equation, then does the Farmer Exist or not?

An infinite number of possible Equations can define an infinite number of Universes. Most will be junk, but some may have self-aware intelligence's, like my hypothetical farmer. None of these solutions occupy any real volume of space or time. There is no such thing as a real Volume of Space or Time.

And that's how you get Something (or everything) from Nothing..lol.

What would it be like to Exist inside such a Mathematical Solution? Just look around.. that's what it is like.

Regards,
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

a_konig liked this post

Postby BurtJordaan on June 15th, 2016, 1:29 am 

Dave_Oblad » 15 Jun 2016, 01:28 wrote:Hi all,

Whoops.. I meant above: Given that 10/3 is an infinite number and 22/7 is also an infinite number.. do they crowd each other out of existence? How much space do they actually take up?

Hi Dave, I guess you meant " Given that 10/3 is an infinite[ly long] number and 22/7 is also an infinite[ly long] number.."?

To be strict, Max Tegmark's "Mathematical Universe" is by no means mainstream science. Kinda very speculative if one is to trust https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_universe_hypothesis.

But then, all multiverse ideas are speculative...
BurtJordaan
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby vivian maxine on June 15th, 2016, 9:56 am 

Dave, I took a fast look at Tegmark's Mathematics of the Universe. What I saw encouraged the question I keep wanting to ask but feared the answer would be over my head. It probably is but here goes.

When you call the universe "mathematics", are you talking arithmetic with equations for proof, etc.? Or are you talking geometry? I know the universe is full of geometry - all kinds, everywhere. From what I saw, Tegmark was illustrating the geometry of the universe. That is easy to see - although, admittedly, I did not go all the way. I do not understand what you mean by "the universe is mathematics". Can you explain exactly what you mean by the universe being pure mathematics? Or, is it too deep a subject? Don't fear saying so. I know my limits.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Dave_Oblad on June 15th, 2016, 11:36 pm 

Hi Viv,

I hope you clicked on Jorries' link above and read what Wiki has to say about a Mathematical Universe as described by Max Tegmark.

But since this Forum is Beginner Science and the "Mathematical Universe" is speculation, I will start a thread in Metaphysics to answer your question above. I'll call it "The Mathematical Universe".

http://sciencechatforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=30776

Best wishes,
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Postby Eclogite on June 16th, 2016, 4:20 am 

BurtJordaan » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:29 am wrote:But then, all multiverse ideas are speculative...

Do you think this is true in every universe in which they are postulated?
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

BurtJordaanDave_Oblad liked this post

Postby vivian maxine on June 16th, 2016, 8:11 am 

Dave_Oblad » June 15th, 2016, 10:36 pm wrote:Hi Viv,

I hope you clicked on Jorries' link above and read what Wiki has to say about a Mathematical Universe as described by Max Tegmark.

But since this Forum is Beginner Science and the "Mathematical Universe" is speculation, I will start a thread in Metaphysics to answer your question above. I'll call it "The Mathematical Universe".

http://sciencechatforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=30776

Best wishes,

I did read Jorrie's link. It left me blinking. It sent me back to yesterday's Science Daily for this:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 114410.htm "Cats seem to grasp the laws of physics." I couldn't resist.

I have not gotten to this chapter yet but this quote is from the Wiki article:
Brian Greene wrote: The deepest description of the universe should not require concepts whose meaning relies on human experience or interpretation. Reality transcends our existence and so shouldn't, in any fundamental way, depend on ideas of our making.

If I had a friend at New York Times, I'd ask her to tear that paragraph apart, which I am sure can be done but not by me.

Thank you for your link. Since our massive sun (furnace) and river (humidity) isn't letting us go anywhere, I'll have plenty of time to read it.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Return to Beginner Science