To be correct - what is color, actually?

Discussions on introductory science topics. Ask simple or beginner questions and expect clear and level answers.

Re: To be correct - what is color, actually?

Postby Graeme M on August 5th, 2016, 8:20 am 

neuro » August 1st, 2016, 9:49 am wrote:Neurologically, we DO PERCEIVE the same color exactly the same way (apart from possible defects in the retina, the optic nerve or the cortex).

Neuro, I've often wondered about this exact question. Isn't it the case that the process of detecting color simply requires that some ratio of cells respond to particular wavelengths of light? That is, light entering the eye will stimulate some mix of L, M and S cone cells depending upon the wavelength of that light. As we are organic, it seems to me that the numbers of cells responding are subject to a range of effects such as more or less total cone cells, a different ratio of L to M to S cells, chemical inconsistencies in pigments etc.

This means that across individuals, any given color experience (say a field of red) will not result in the exact same proportional mechanical response (ie there will be a different ratio of responding cells in person A vs person B vs person C).

So, while we all perceive color in the same way (ie mechanism), it seems likely to me that we do not all detect exactly the same "color" (although to be technically correct, I mean we do not have the exact same proportional physical response).
Graeme M

Postby Braininvat on August 5th, 2016, 9:25 am 

Don't forget that Scottish wedding dress. I was in the group that saw blue/brown. We have a thread on it, somewhere.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby neuro on August 5th, 2016, 9:27 am 

I stand corrected.
And apologize.
neuro
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Beginner Science