H+ ions

Discussions on introductory science topics. Ask simple or beginner questions and expect clear and level answers.

H+ ions

Postby vivian maxine on November 10th, 2016, 3:50 pm 

I know what H+ ions are. Just asking what is the + sign saying? Maybe I should reword that to I know what H ions are and what does the + sign say? Thanks.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: H ions

Postby Faradave on November 10th, 2016, 4:04 pm 

H+ is just an indication that the normally-expected, single hydrogen electron is missing and there's a net positive charge to the remaining, naked proton. In theory, hydrogen could also have an extra electron, making an H- ion.
Faradave

Postby vivian maxine on November 10th, 2016, 4:21 pm 

Faradave » November 10th, 2016, 3:04 pm wrote:H+ is just an indication that the normally-expected, single hydrogen electron is missing and there's a net positive charge to the remaining, naked proton. In theory, hydrogen could also have an extra electron, making an H- ion.

Thank you. For a moment I wondered why a + sign for something (electron) missing (-?). But maybe + sign is for the positive charge?

Anyway, Now I know. Thanks much.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby BioWizard on November 10th, 2016, 5:41 pm 

vivian maxine » 10 Nov 2016 03:21 pm wrote:
Faradave » November 10th, 2016, 3:04 pm wrote:H+ is just an indication that the normally-expected, single hydrogen electron is missing and there's a net positive charge to the remaining, naked proton. In theory, hydrogen could also have an extra electron, making an H- ion.

Thank you. For a moment I wondered why a + sign for something (electron) missing (-?). But maybe + sign is for the positive charge?

Yes, it reflects the net charge of the ion.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby vivian maxine on November 10th, 2016, 6:03 pm 

BioWizard » November 10th, 2016, 4:41 pm wrote:
vivian maxine » 10 Nov 2016 03:21 pm wrote:

Yes, it reflects the net charge of the ion.

Got it. :-)
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Return to Beginner Science