Nanotube

Discussions on introductory science topics. Ask simple or beginner questions and expect clear and level answers.

Nanotube

Postby vivian maxine on April 16th, 2017, 11:37 pm 

A nanotube is microscopic according to the dictionary. Microscopic means - I think - cannot be seen by the naked eye. That means generally invisible to the user or researcher or whomever. So, how do you work with a microscopic nanotube? Thanks for enlightenment.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: Nanotube

Postby 1sc on April 22nd, 2017, 10:54 pm 

Check out the documentary on Netflix regarding the elevator to space. They discuss using nanotube as a material to build a bridge to space. Very interesting. And I think I remember them showing a sample of the material :)
1sc
Forum Neophyte

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Athena on April 23rd, 2017, 12:17 pm 

This link uses pictures to convey the size of nanoparticles and will immediately make the concept comprehensible.

http://www.azonano.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=1780

Seeing things this small requires special microscopes. Here is a link that explains.

[/quote]http://boron.imascientist.org.au/2012/09/03/what-instrument-can-you-use-to-see-nanoparticles-and-what-do-they-look-like/

.....using light, you can’t see things smaller than its wavelength – it just goes straight through. Visible light has wavelengths in the range of 400 nm (blue) to 700 nm (red) – so you can see things that are this size or smaller with it.

Nanoparticles are typically about 10 nm in size or so – some larger, some smaller. You can see them with various types of electron microscope – they are a lot more complicated than an optical microscope! There are some pictures of nanoparticles here:

http://www.nanobeach.com/particle.php [/quote]

If you would come over for tea, I have a DVD of a professor who explains this stuff, and you might also like the professor who can talk about using math to figure out knots for two hours (boring!). That is to say, the math is important to working on nano-sized things and the study of origami (study of folds) has become important to all this. To do the math, you don't have to actually see anything, but who ever thought math would and origami would be part of learning about DNA knots? I am glad I own the DVD's so I can watch them again and again because this stuff is really over my head. In watching these explanations I have become concerned that our present school system is not preparing children for the future that is now. I don't think teachers have a clue what is happening in today's science.
Athena

Postby vivian maxine on April 23rd, 2017, 1:16 pm 

Thank you. I shall take a look asap. It's all right if teachers "haven't a clue". The students will teach them. And that is not a joke. I learned a lot from my students. That's part of the fun of teaching. Exchanging knowledge. Children know more than we think they do. I could tell some real stories - but I won't. Fond memories!
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Athena on April 23rd, 2017, 3:03 pm 

vivian maxine » April 23rd, 2017, 11:16 am wrote:Thank you. I shall take a look asap. It's all right if teachers "haven't a clue". The students will teach them. And that is not a joke. I learned a lot from my students. That's part of the fun of teaching. Exchanging knowledge. Children know more than we think they do. I could tell some real stories - but I won't. Fond memories!

I think in the past we could all grow together, but I am not sure that can happen today? I think we are experiencing a consciousness shift that will divide the New Age from everything that which has gone before? I think we are coming to a consciousness that will make it difficult for people to relate to the past that has been our consciousness connected to farming and industry and an industrial/merchant economy?

The march for science is about that consciousness change. It is a reaction to a president who has the mentality of individualism and the industrial economy that is in the past. You think Trump wants to understand nanoscience and international ties, that is where technology is taking us? This high-tech industry is relying on immigrants who have better education for the high-tech industry than students in the US. Isolation has never been good for advancing science and technology, and we are coming from a reality of isolated farmers who rely on their church to understand truth and to have social connections, to a reality of understanding energy forces and nanoparticles, and everyone being connected with cell phones, computers, and the internet. I think that is going to mean a very different consciousness?
Athena

Return to Beginner Science