atomic clocks

Discussions on introductory science topics. Ask simple or beginner questions and expect clear and level answers.

atomic clocks

Postby vivian maxine on May 15th, 2017, 5:34 am 

I have a question. Please, just a simple yes or no. I am not asking why or how. Just want to know if it does.

Does the environment that the atomic clock is in have an effect on how slow or fast it runs? Say, low pressure, high pressure, vacuum of outer space? Is there anything about the clock's location that would cause a clock to run differently?

All I want is a simple yes or no. Thank you.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: atomic clocks

Postby BioWizard on May 15th, 2017, 6:55 am 

My guess is that two things can affect it: strength of gravitational its in, and its velocity with respect to the observer. Probably not the other stuff you mentioned though.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby vivian maxine on May 15th, 2017, 7:35 am 

BioWizard » May 15th, 2017, 5:55 am wrote:My guess is that two things can affect it: strength of gravitational its in, and its velocity with respect to the observer. Probably not the other stuff you mentioned though.

Thank you, BioWizard. That is all I needed.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Forest_Dump on May 15th, 2017, 8:26 am 

From what I know, Bio is perfectly correct. However these are only very specific contexts and atomic clocks are generally kept on earth with almost exactly the same gravitational effects and relative velocity so for all intents and purposes the answer is no.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on May 15th, 2017, 9:35 am 

Oooh the temptation....to throw in the small difference in time elapsed between an atomic clock on Mt. Everest and one in a South African diamond mine. But I won't do that. Because we already have hundreds of threads on General Relativity that will turn a strong and rational person into a gibbering and whimpering heap of misery plucking all its hair out and removing imaginary insects from its body and eating them. They should have stuck with Simple Wikipedia.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Forest_Dump on May 15th, 2017, 10:31 am 

Yeah, infortunately it always seems to be a "that depends" question even though a simple answer is desired. As Bio caught on to, I was certainly also thinking about whether the question was prompted by an atomic clock up in a satelite or perhaps shot into the sun or perhaps even shot into a black hole or worm hole, as some might speculate.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Return to Beginner Science