How RNA got started-ScienceNews

Anyone can post and discuss breaking science news or science-related public policy, that interests them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

How RNA got started-ScienceNews

Postby wolfhnd on May 13th, 2009, 9:12 pm 

Scientists identify chemical reactions that could be responsible for the origin of life
By Solmaz Barazesh

Scientists may have figured out the chemistry that sparked the beginning of life on Earth.

The new findings map out a series of simple, efficient chemical reactions that could have formed molecules of RNA, a close cousin of DNA, from the basic materials available more than 3.85 billion years ago, researchers report online May 13 in Nature.

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic ... ot_started
Attachments
283180main1_original_exp_226wide.jpg
Credit: Ned Shaw, Indiana University
wolfhnd

Re: How RNA got started-ScienceNews

Postby BioWizard on May 13th, 2009, 11:27 pm 

I was coming to post something on this when I saw that you already did that wolf. Good job :)
All I can say about this is HOLY COW.

Abiogenesis 1 Creation 0
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: How RNA got started-ScienceNews

Postby Paris on May 14th, 2009, 5:03 pm 

BioWizard wrote:I was coming to post something on this when I saw that you already did that wolf. Good job :)
All I can say about this is HOLY COW.

Abiogenesis 1 Creation 0

Indeed, Bio. This is a memorable finding.

A big chunk was added in the puzzle of the origin of life.

It remains to see how common such physical and chemical conditions, that allowed the formation of the first polymers of RNA ( believed to be the first carriers of genetic information ), were.

If they were frequent enough then the origin of life might be easier than previously thought.

I can’t wait for the moment when the entire process ( or at least one of them [supposing that there are several paths that lead to the emergence of life] ) is unveiled.

That would amount to a huge blow onto dogmatic and delusional thinking.
Paris

Return to Science News Discussion Forum