HIV vaccine turns muscle into antibody factories

Anyone can post and discuss breaking science news or science-related public policy, that interests them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

HIV vaccine turns muscle into antibody factories

Postby BioWizard on May 24th, 2009, 4:53 pm 

HOW do you deal with a virus which attacks the immune system that is trying to fight it off? It's a question HIV researchers have been trying to solve for years, and now they may have come up with a solution: bypass the immune system altogether.

Nine macaques have been protected against the monkey version of HIV with a novel vaccine that sidesteps the monkey immune system. Instead, the vaccine turns monkey muscles into factories for churning out antibodies which kill simian immunodeficiency virus (SIV) - the monkey equivalent of HIV

Source: http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... ories.html
Attachments
mg20227094_700-1_300.jpg
This coloured transmission electron micrograph (TEM) shows a section through the cell membrane of a T-lymphocyte white blood cell (T-cell). The "bubbles" are budding Human Immunodeficiency Viruses (HIV) (Image: BSIP VEM / Science Photo Library)
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: HIV vaccine turns muscle into antibody factories

Postby BioWizard on May 24th, 2009, 5:02 pm 

The reason this caught my attention is because it constitutes a paradigm shift in the war against HIV. Of course, to apply this on humans, it would mean that we would have to first have a potent antibody against various strains of HIV. This is also the first time I see gene therapy used in a preventive context.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Postby wolfhnd on May 24th, 2009, 9:00 pm 

I saw this article earlier Bio and found it interesting. One clarification, as I understand, is that immunoadhesins produced by the muscle cells do not actually destroy the virus.

"Among other things such antibody-cytokine fusion proteins can be used to target the biological effect of cytokines to tumor cells and to stimulate the immune destruction of such cells."

http://www.copewithcytokines.de/cope.cg ... 20proteins
wolfhnd

Postby BioWizard on May 25th, 2009, 8:42 am 

Wolfhnd, I think what you're talking about is using hybrid antibodies to tag tumor cells with cytokines, leading to their destruction by immune cells. This might be different from the approach used for the HIV virus, or at least such is my impression based on the news report (which are rarely reliable anyway).
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Postby Marshall on May 26th, 2009, 1:59 pm 

BioWizard wrote:... Instead, the vaccine turns monkey muscles into factories for churning out antibodies which kill simian immunodeficiency virus (SIV)...

That's really ingenious!
Marshall

Return to Science News Discussion Forum