Stem Cell-Gene Therapy Cures Genetic Disease

Anyone can post and discuss breaking science news or science-related public policy, that interests them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Stem Cell-Gene Therapy Cures Genetic Disease

Postby wolfhnd on June 1st, 2009, 9:28 pm 

Combined Stem Cell-Gene Therapy Approach Cures Human Genetic Disease In Vitro

ScienceDaily (June 1, 2009) — A study led by researchers at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, has catapulted the field of regenerative medicine significantly forward, proving in principle that a human genetic disease can be cured using a combination of gene therapy and induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cell technology. The study is a major milestone on the path from the laboratory to the clinic.

"It's been ten years since human stem cells were first cultured in a Petri dish," says the study's leader Juan-Carlos Izpisúa Belmonte, Ph.D., a professor in the Gene Expression Laboratory and director of the Center of Regenerative Medicine in Barcelona (CMRB), Spain. "The hope in the field has always been that we'll be able to correct a disease genetically and then make iPS cells that differentiate into the type of tissue where the disease is manifested and bring it to clinic."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 141321.htm
Attachments
090531141321.jpg
Credit: Courtesy of Dr. Juan-Carlos Belmonte, Salk Institute for Biological Studies
wolfhnd

Re: Stem Cell-Gene Therapy Cures Genetic Disease

Postby lucaspa on June 2nd, 2009, 12:26 pm 

Talk about hype! Look, the guys who first did IPS cells did a study in mice 2 years ago where they used iPS cells + gene therapy to cure sickle cell anemia.

Also, researchers over 5 years ago were treating people with OI with non-genetically engineered adult stem cells and curing the disease.

These guys grabbed headlines, but they are far from the first on the block, even tho they are trying to con you that they are.

What this tells me is what trouble iPS research is in. If they tout this little hop as a huge leap forward for iPS cells, then iPS cells are in deep trouble.
lucaspa

Postby BioWizard on June 2nd, 2009, 12:29 pm 

lucaspa wrote:Talk about hype! Look, the guys who first did IPS cells did a study in mice 2 years ago where they used iPS cells + gene therapy to cure sickle cell anemia.

Also, researchers over 5 years ago were treating people with OI with non-genetically engineered adult stem cells and curing the disease.

These guys grabbed headlines, but they are far from the first on the block, even tho they are trying to con you that they are.

What this tells me is what trouble iPS research is in. If they tout this little hop as a huge leap forward for iPS cells, then iPS cells are in deep trouble.

I agree. It's unfortunate, but true, and the stem cell scientists themselves don't deny it. My friend works in the field and she went to the last meeting they had in Boston. She told me that everyone was cautioning against the media hype, as they are far from clinical applications.

Also, I haven't yet read the above study, but it seems to be an in vitro one, which is nothing new.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby lucaspa on June 2nd, 2009, 12:52 pm 

BioWizard wrote:[I agree. It's unfortunate, but true, and the stem cell scientists themselves don't deny it.

We need to make a distinction among "stem cell scientists". The ones engaging on hype are those working on embryonic stem cells or the new way to get ES cells -- iPS cells. Those working on adult stem cells just keep publishing in vivo and clinical studies. For instance, hardly anyone is aware that adult stem cells have been used to treat cardiac infarct patients for 3 years now and it is rapidly becoming a standard therapy.
lucaspa

Postby BioWizard on June 2nd, 2009, 1:08 pm 

lucaspa wrote:We need to make a distinction among "stem cell scientists". The ones engaging on hype are those working on embryonic stem cells or the new way to get ES cells -- iPS cells. Those working on adult stem cells just keep publishing in vivo and clinical studies. For instance, hardly anyone is aware that adult stem cells have been used to treat cardiac infarct patients for 3 years now and it is rapidly becoming a standard therapy.

I was actually specifically referring to the team that "converted" skin cells to iPS. Someone from their team was the one who cautioned against media hype, or so my friend's story goes.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Postby lucaspa on June 2nd, 2009, 1:52 pm 

BioWizard wrote:I was actually specifically referring to the team that "converted" skin cells to iPS. Someone from their team was the one who cautioned against media hype, or so my friend's story goes.

That was not at all clear in your post. BTW, there were two teams that converted skin cells to iPS cells -- one in the USA and one in Japan. They used different genes to accomplish what appears to be the same end.
lucaspa

Postby BioWizard on June 2nd, 2009, 2:00 pm 

lucaspa wrote:
BioWizard wrote:I was actually specifically referring to the team that "converted" skin cells to iPS. Someone from their team was the one who cautioned against media hype, or so my friend's story goes.

That was not at all clear in your post. BTW, there were two teams that converted skin cells to iPS cells -- one in the USA and one in Japan. They used different genes to accomplish what appears to be the same end.

The OP dealt with iPS so I thought it was sort of obvious that I was talking about iPS work. For whatever it's worth, I suspect it was someone from the US team.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Return to Science News Discussion Forum