'Molecular Clock' Aids Dating Of Human Migration

Anyone can post and discuss breaking science news or science-related public policy, that interests them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

'Molecular Clock' Aids Dating Of Human Migration

Postby wolfhnd on June 4th, 2009, 9:34 pm 

New 'Molecular Clock' Aids Dating Of Human Migration History

ScienceDaily (June 4, 2009) — Researchers at the University of Leeds have devised a more accurate method of dating ancient human migration – even when no corroborating archaeological evidence exists.

Estimating the chronology of population migrations throughout mankind's early history has always been problematic. The most widely used genetic method works back to find the last common ancestor of any particular set of lineages using samples of mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA), but this method has recently been shown to be unreliable, throwing 20 years of research into doubt.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 124023.htm
Attachments
843474___code__.jpg
Image: Rodolfo Clix/STOCK.XCHNG
wolfhnd

Re: 'Molecular Clock' Aids Dating Of Human Migration

Postby Paralith on June 5th, 2009, 10:40 am 

The new method refines the mtDNA calculation by taking into account the process of natural selection - which researchers realised was skewing their results

That's interesting, I'd like to see the work they did showing natural selection was acting on mtDNA. I asked my genetics professor about that this past semester, and he said there had yet to be any conclusive data showing that natural selection had acted on mtDNA during human history.
Paralith
Resident Expert

Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to Science News Discussion Forum