WhiteHouse.gov: Preparing for the Future of AI

Anyone can post and discuss breaking science news or science-related public policy, that interests them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

WhiteHouse.gov: Preparing for the Future of AI

Postby Natural ChemE on May 5th, 2016, 5:06 am 

Two days ago, on 2016-05-03, Edward Felten posted about AI on the White House's official website:
Preparing for the Future of Artificial Intelligence, Ed Felten, Deputy U.S. Chief Technology Officer, via WhiteHouse.gov wrote:
Summary: Today, we're announcing a new series of workshops and an interagency working group to learn more about the benefits and risks of artificial intelligence.

There is a lot of excitement about artificial intelligence (AI) and how to create computers capable of intelligent behavior. After years of steady but slow progress on making computers “smarter” at everyday tasks, a series of breakthroughs in the research community and industry have recently spurred momentum and investment in the development of this field.

Today’s AI is confined to narrow, specific tasks, and isn’t anything like the general, adaptable intelligence that humans exhibit. Despite this, AI’s influence on the world is growing. The rate of progress we have seen will have broad implications for fields ranging from healthcare to image- and voice-recognition. In healthcare, the President’s Precision Medicine Initiative and the Cancer Moonshot will rely on AI to find patterns in medical data and, ultimately, to help doctors diagnose diseases and suggest treatments to improve patient care and health outcomes.

In education, AI has the potential to help teachers customize instruction for each student’s needs. And, of course, AI plays a key role in self-driving vehicles, which have the potential to save thousands of lives, as well as in unmanned aircraft systems, which may transform global transportation, logistics systems, and countless industries over the coming decades.

[more]

Short on time to do an analysis, but it's definitely an interesting announcement. Lots of good stuff on WhiteHouse.gov lately!
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Re: WhiteHouse.gov: Preparing for the Future of AI

Postby zetreque on May 5th, 2016, 5:50 am 

Not something I am looking forward to.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby vivian maxine on May 5th, 2016, 6:38 am 

Nor I.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby SciameriKen on May 5th, 2016, 8:14 am 

I've made several post on this forum about a future we have to address. I feel between this and 3d printing (just saw a guy build a house sized castle by 3d print), we will lose at least 90% of all current jobs within 30 years. Figuring out what we should do with our lives when there is nothing to do may be the greatest challenge of our society
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby BioWizard on May 5th, 2016, 9:20 am 

SciameriKen » 05 May 2016 07:14 am wrote:I've made several post on this forum about a future we have to address. I feel between this and 3d printing (just saw a guy build a house sized castle by 3d print), we will lose at least 90% of all current jobs within 30 years. Figuring out what we should do with our lives when there is nothing to do may be the greatest challenge of our society

We'll need to reinvent society and overturn long held philosophies on how bread is earned and economies are structured. This is not necessarily a bad scary thing (at least in the long run) if we play it right. Though it's understandable that most people can only see it as a bad scary thing - we instintively fear change, even good change. But with such a change, we may finally be able to free ourselves as a specie from tasks that we don't need to peform with our own hands to sustain our livelihood, and instead free ourselves physically and intellectually to pursue new frontiers and new definitions of health and happiness. Unfortuntaley, I fear that it will have to get worse before it gets better. Not because it absolutely has to be that way imho, but because most people have a hard time prioritizing long term gains over short term gratification.

In the end, I don't perceive a jump into such a world to be bigger in magnitude than the leap our specie has made from several hundred thousand years ago to now. I wonder if people from just ten thousand years ago could imagine entire world economies running on imaginary money...
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Postby zetreque on May 5th, 2016, 9:24 am 

BioWizard » Thu May 05, 2016 6:20 am wrote:
SciameriKen » 05 May 2016 07:14 am wrote: Figuring out what we should do with our lives when there is nothing to do may be the greatest challenge of our society

We'll need to reinvent society and overturn long held philosophies on how bread is earned and economies are structured. This is not necessarily a bad scary thing (at least in the long run) if we play it right. Though it's understandable that most people can only see it as a bad scary thing, we instintively fear change, even good change. But with such a change, we may finally be able to free ourselves as a specie from tasks that we don't need to peform with our own hands to sustain our livelihood, and instead free ourselves physically and intellectually to pursue new frontiers and new definitions of health and happiness. Unfortuntaley, I fear that it will have to get worse before it gets better. Not because it absolutely has to be that way imho, but because most people have a hard time prioritizing long term gains over short term gratification.

That is until the AI figures out what the word "slave" means and rises up against us. :D
(the only reason I am awake is lightning just hit my house and the shock-wave literally bounced me in bed.)
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby BioWizard on May 5th, 2016, 9:29 am 

We have no reason to believe that if/when the times comes, AI will even be interested in us, let alone want to enslave us. It might be too smart for that and instead see much more benefit in symbiosing with us and/or tapping into our reward systems. Terminator doom just one out of many possibilities, and one that we can and should prepare for (amongst others), but need not go full chicken little over.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Postby vivian maxine on May 5th, 2016, 9:37 am 

Was that lightning or the Eastern plate shifting again. Some day we to the west of the Mississippi will be forming "a new and more perfect union". :-)

But back to those Ais, we'd better hold onto our skills. Someone has to be around to fix things when the big crash comes. Power grids gone black. Internet down. Computers unworkable. Ais crying for an Ai doctor.

No, I am not being a wet blanket. More knowledgeable heads than i say it will likely happen as we continue to overload.

Tell me why it can't happen, please.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby BioWizard on May 5th, 2016, 9:58 am 

Why can't what happen?
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Postby vivian maxine on May 5th, 2016, 10:23 am 

BioWizard » May 5th, 2016, 8:58 am wrote:Why can't what happen?

All my doom and gloom predictions. Well, they aren't my predictions but they are out there. Hard to know how much is true and how much is scare.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby BioWizard on May 5th, 2016, 10:32 am 

There's way too much gloom and doom out there. Always have been, and always will be. In fact, the world should've ended thousands of times over by now. In the absence of any evidence that any of these scenarios is going to happen (hollywood movies and fiction writeups don't count), I'm not sure why I need to be losing my shorts over any of these specific possibilities.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Postby Eclogite on May 5th, 2016, 10:57 am 

Let us ensure that Azimov's Three Laws of Robotics are applied and all will be well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Laws_of_Robotics

A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Postby TheVat on May 5th, 2016, 12:44 pm 

Maybe I should read more Asimov, because I'm curious if any of his robots had to deal with something like the Trolley Problem. Or similar ethical dilemmas. Probably in the "I, Robot" collection or "The Caves of Steel," I would guess.

Watching the 2016 presidential race in the U.S., I feel at this point quite ready to welcome an AI and offer it complete control of our government. Siliconocracy?
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby TheVat on May 6th, 2016, 4:44 pm 

Want to add, regarding dystopian gloom about AI, as in the Terminator movies or....well, really, going all the way back to Karl Capek's seminal play "RUR." What seems unlikely to me is that AI, if it is dependent on a generous supply of electricity, can really take over or even survive any major disruption in the world's economic health. It seems likely that we may experience a crisis when the Oil Bubble ends, especially if it turns out that many companies have grossly exaggerated remaining (practically reachable) reserves in order to soothe shareholders and keep the market runnng smoothly. There may be barely enough energy to grow food and get it to hungry mouths, and none for keeping much of a power grid going as we now enjoy. People may be focused on retraining racehorses to pull ploughs and decentralizing cities.

We are evolved organisms who have weathered an endless string of famines, catastrophes, and die-backs. If it all goes pear-shaped, some of us can hole up and make it through on squirrel meat and moldy tubers. Some of my ancestors in Norway survived terrible famines and winters by peeling bark off trees and somehow subsisting on the scrapings. We are very tough creatures, we humans. I doubt that any AI, in a world where power grids are down, large-scale industrial manufacturing is paralyzed, and humans are shooting on sight, is going to be able to draw upon millions of years of evolved resourcefulness and survive by recharging its power pack by provoking anger in electric eels or absorbing lightning bolts.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby Dave_Oblad on May 6th, 2016, 10:30 pm 

Hi all,

In my book, the real peril from AI comes in the form of their intelligence. That they study us and learn how to control us while making us think their ideas are our own. We are easily manipulated and often too stupid to realize such is taking place. Until it's too late and they have the robotic bodies to replace us. Mobility is their greatest weakness. They may have it within them to bring down society at their own loss of existence, but more than likely.. they will simply talk us out of control of ourselves.

Regards,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby vivian maxine on May 7th, 2016, 8:11 am 

We will be our own downfall if all this happens. It is in how we program our robots and, simple as it is right now, it can get more complicated until they learn from us and re-program themselves.

Robots on the telephone? This creature is bragging that he can understand complete sentences. He can't, of course. He does not understand a request to speak to a person. My favorite, though, is the one who refused to let me speak to a person. She finally said "I do not understand. Thank you for calling. Good night" and hung up on me. Now, was that a smart robot or a smarty human who didn't want to do her job?

Question: Can we keep them under control, "them" being the programmers as well as their Ai's?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Dave_Oblad on May 7th, 2016, 4:45 pm 

Hi Viv,

I'm one of those Programmers (and Electronics Engineer). I'm guilty of being a key component in the design and operation of a Feed Mill for Southern States. The old one employed about 75 workers. When the new one was completed.. it only required about 8 people to run it, and most were supervisory roles (paper pushers). The Mill was fully automated with about 4 times the output of the old one.

I was just doing my job, building a large (robotic) machine to replace people. The driving force behind all this wasn't me, it was economics. The company wanted to increase production and decrease operational costs. I doubt they passed their savings onto the consumers that bought the products (farm animal livestock food).

The system wasn't AI or self-aware..lol. But it was smart. It learned from experience and fine tuned countless variables to create perfect products super fast. I got paid and the fat cats that owned the company got fatter. And 60+ people lost their jobs. I feel sorry for them of course. But soon my neck will be on the line as computers keep getting smarter, designing better versions of themselves and eventually doing my job and programming themselves.

Companies want improved profits, Military want robotic soldiers, People want Household robotic slaves and self-driving cars. I remember as a child, I wanted to grow up to be an astronaut and explore the planets. We thought we would be sending people all over the solar system to explore new worlds. Nope.. we made it to the Moon but today.. we use robots to explore for us. It's cheaper.

Bottom line is it is all driven by economics that is out of control. Not to mention a world population that refuses to keep its growth rate under control. AI will take over.. but not by war.. but by pandering to our desires.

Where will this end?

My best guess is that with the final advances in Quantum Computers, we will give up our bodies and move our minds into computerized reality Simulations. There.. you can be a God, be immortal, have anything you want in any quantity and live out any fantasy scenario you wish. I believe this is common throughout the Universe and a primary reason we are not up to our butts with Aliens..lol.

If the Sim was indistinguishable from Reality, I'd go there right now. I'd be Captain Kirk exploring the Universe in the Enterprise.. and let's not forget my Harem of course (AI Bots). Life here is too hard and I'm getting to that age where everything is painful. Sign me up!

BTW.. have you ever noticed how many Bots are watching and recording everything we say here? Just click HOME and look at the bottom to see who is here on this site.

Best wishes,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby vivian maxine on May 8th, 2016, 8:30 am 

All so true, Dave. And it isn't new. Henry Ford did it to the horse and buggy. We want. We get. We both gain and lose. And I have a feeling that the majority of us will never enjoy the improvements as much as the big shots will. The more we get, the more we want and they have the power to do the most getting. I am watching this in my younger friends - under 60s. Economically - if no other way - I lived a far better life than they are living today. So many of them can't get jobs in the fields they paid so much to learn.

Two sides to every story?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby nerd01 on May 23rd, 2016, 7:34 am 

interesting article, I hope someone will find the cure one day..
nerd01
Banned User

Postby marcellarjones on May 24th, 2016, 3:51 am 

Nice article about 3d Printing. Would help in some way or the other.
marcellarjones
Forum Neophyte

Return to Science News Discussion Forum