Turn out the old for the new?

Anyone can post and discuss breaking science news or science-related public policy, that interests them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Turn out the old for the new?

Postby vivian maxine on June 29th, 2016, 1:16 pm 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... ce+News%29

Species across the world are rapidly going extinct due to human activity. Humans are also causing rapid evolution of new species, but one cannot simply replace the other.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: Turn out the old for the new?

Postby Serpent on June 29th, 2016, 5:56 pm 

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2003/05/19/bioperversity
Parallel with this vision of a blighted future is the novel’s dramatic story of how the global apocalypse came to pass, told in flashback. Jimmy and Crake .... are the privileged children of scientists who work for top-secret agribusiness and biotech companies .... for medical-transplant purposes, makes pigs that are genetically altered with human DNA....other mistakes, too—creatures called wolvogs, which are exactly what you would expect.....a fast-food venture, headless, legless chickens.... Such genetic ambitions will not sound outlandish to anyone who has kept abreast of current poultry-farming practices or knows that scientists have experimented with splicing fish genes into tomatoes to prevent freezing.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby TheVat on June 29th, 2016, 9:26 pm 

Remarkable how much topnotch sci-fi comes from Canada...Oryx & Crake has been in my teetering pile for too long. The Two Roberts of Toronto are also oustanding, Robert Charles Wilson and Robert J. Sawyer. At a lower brow level, Fox tv is currently running a series where a rapid extinction time is followed by humans rapidly evolving and speciating into niches vacated by predators - Wayward Pines. Don't care for the show, but the books aren't bad.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby Serpent on June 29th, 2016, 10:10 pm 

We also bagged a terrific transplants: my favourite William Gibson.

(I wasn't mad keen on the second Madd Addam book; though it had some good parts, it grew too dark for me. Haven't got my nerve up to tackle the last one, even if it will does stare at me from the shelf.)
Serpent
Resident Member

Return to Science News Discussion Forum