Autonomous Crash

Anyone can post and discuss breaking science news or science-related public policy, that interests them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Re: Autonomous Crash

Postby SciameriKen on July 2nd, 2016, 9:43 pm 

I think they just have to program self awareness into the car so it tries to keep itself alive while driving! Aside from that - everyone in self driving cars could easily be the norm in 20-30 years. Just accept it folks!
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby Watson on July 2nd, 2016, 11:30 pm 

I'm really curious about the state of things over the next few decades. The population growth is not sustainable so life as we know it will change. Or something drastic will change and life as we know it will change. In any case I thing auto driving vehicles of any type will become unnecessary before they become practical.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby zetreque on July 3rd, 2016, 12:34 am 

Watson » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:30 pm wrote:I'm really curious about the state of things over the next few decades. The population growth is not sustainable so life as we know it will change. Or something drastic will change and life as we know it will change. In any case I thing auto driving vehicles of any type will become unnecessary before they become practical.

Agreed. One thing I do like about the "like" button is it lets me acknowledge posts without having to reply. Unsustainable consumption combined with rapid technology progress being put in the hand of humans not yet intelligent enough to handle it (without at the minimum being rude and disconnected) is putting us at a peak climax bubble whatever you want to call it of one of the most safe, peaceful, and advanced times in the history of our species on the planet. It's only logical that it's going to be followed by an autonomous crash of great scale. Some anthropocene theorists say we are going to be forced to revert back to the land.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Serpent on July 3rd, 2016, 12:54 am 

So, we fight WWIV with sticks and stones, and then whoever is left walks. OK
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby TheVat on July 3rd, 2016, 10:16 am 

For sure, we will be using mass transit that has a smaller carbon footprint than personal vehicles do. What remains of personal vehicles will be bikes and electric mopeds, perhaps. Or shoes, with soles made from the billions of discarded tires.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby Serpent on July 3rd, 2016, 10:26 am 

Mass transit is for cities; for lots of people all going in the same direction. If the economy breaks down, there will be no place for the masses to go to work every day. The whole landscape changes; even the cityscapes all change. It's hard to make predictions about the end of civilization as we know it. We can only project what we have now into a future of continuity.

If I can't have my solar-skinned private pod, can I at least have a motorized wheelchair?
Serpent
Resident Member

Previous

Return to Science News Discussion Forum