alcohol linked to 7 types of cancer

Anyone can post and discuss breaking science news or science-related public policy, that interests them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

alcohol linked to 7 types of cancer

Postby zetreque on July 22nd, 2016, 1:54 pm 

Been saying for years now that instead of looking for a cure for cancer, society would be better off preventing it through diet research. We evolved to eat certain foods prepared in certain ways that our metabolism most efficiently handles without free radicals and other problems arising.. If only medical research would emphasize that more instead of the attitude that we can eat drink and do whatever we want and just find a pill to cure it as if it is something that is normal. IMO the cure to cancer is to stop eating garbage. Stop cutting the rainforest down too. not because it holds a cure for cancer, but because it's just a dumb idea. :) (Joking aside, the rainforest does hold an immense amount of knowledge we can learn from)

https://www.newscientist.com/article/20 ... ver-cancer
“We see the risk increasing as the amount of alcohol consumed increases, and we agree that there is solid evidence to conclude that alcohol consumption directly causes cancer,” says Susannah Brown, science programme manager for the World Cancer Research Fund.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: alcohol linked to 7 types of cancer

Postby TheVat on July 22nd, 2016, 5:05 pm 

Those findings will confuse the people who've been drinking red wine to lower their risk of heart disease. :-0
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby BioWizard on July 22nd, 2016, 5:56 pm 

Hey Zet,

As far as I know, scientists are indeed working on both of those things (treatment and prevention). And prevention science is begetting a lot of attention lately, especially as we learn more about in the interactions between the microbiome and the immune system, and their role in staving off cancer growth.

As for getting people to stop eating garbage, that's more policy and politics. The word of science on its own does very little there.

Now stop being a total hippie :P
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Postby BioWizard on July 22nd, 2016, 6:04 pm 

By the way, have I told you what I think about association studies that don't provide any causative/mechanistic evidence (or at the least some insight) and don't offer anything in relation to dosage/exposure?

Not much.

Now leave our wine and beer alone, dammit.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Postby wolfhnd on July 22nd, 2016, 7:25 pm 

BioWizard » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:04 pm wrote:By the way, have I told you what I think about association studies that don't provide any causative/mechanistic evidence (or at the least some insight) and don't offer anything in relation to dosage/exposure?

Not much.

Now leave our wine and beer alone, dammit.

I was going to make the same point but in this case it is hard to argue that giving up alcohol would seriously negatively affect anyone.

After reading the article I had two whiskey sours because some of us like to live dangerously.
wolfhnd

Postby doogles on July 23rd, 2016, 6:34 pm 

The article in New Scientist cites a 2016 research paper by Jennie Conner et al in the Journal Alcohol and Addiction.

I had to have a look at this for myself because the thought of life without alcohol gave me a temporary attack of depression. I imbibe anywhere between zero and 8 standard glasses daily, with the zero being only one or two days a week. If I have any fellow imbibers in this forum, they should check out this article for themselves.

Unfortunately, the full article costs money, but I believe there is enough in the Abstract to question the scientific validity of this piece of work and to get a better perspective on its value.

I have inserted a screen dump of a salient part of the Abstract.

ALCOHOL AND CANCER.jpg

Note that alcohol was associated with only 4.2% of cancer deaths under 80 years of age, and that the authors have claimed it was RESPONSIBLE. And please interpret the 61% breast cancer deaths as being 61% of the women among the 4.2%. Once again the authors have concluded these were ALCOHOL-ATTRIBUTABLE. And note the use of the word CAUSE in the last line.

Such causes and effects are highly implausible in any scientific conclusions.

My fleeting depression has vanished.
doogles

Postby zetreque on July 23rd, 2016, 6:39 pm 

Would be interesting to know the mechanism as Bio points out. If there isn't one proposed, the next step is to investigate that.

I'm not a drinker for other reasons.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby doogles on July 23rd, 2016, 6:46 pm 

Just had an afterthought.

If 4.2% of cancers are alcohol-related, does this mean that non-drinking is associated with 96% of cancers?

Bring on the celebrations!!!
doogles

Postby wolfhnd on July 23rd, 2016, 9:10 pm 

I didn't drink much until I retired. Honestly I didn't want to make time to relax. Now that I have learned the art of relaxation I find that alcohol improves my appetite and enjoyment of food.
wolfhnd

Postby zetreque on July 23rd, 2016, 9:15 pm 

Be careful. I have watched a couple lectures where Robert Lustig explains that alcohol is metabolized the same was as fructose. Sugar is involved in the insulin cycle which can increase appetite.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby BioWizard on July 23rd, 2016, 9:46 pm 

zetreque » 23 Jul 2016 08:15 pm wrote:Be careful. I have watched a couple lectures where Robert Lustig explains that alcohol is metabolized the same was as fructose. Sugar is involved in the insulin cycle which can increase appetite.

I don't know what that means zet. Also, fructose isn't inherently "bad", and there's nothing wrong with consuming some fructose in your diet. It's shell-shocking your liver with very large amounts of processed fructose that is bad.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Postby BioWizard on July 23rd, 2016, 9:50 pm 

doogles » 23 Jul 2016 05:46 pm wrote:Just had an afterthought.

If 4.2% of cancers are alcohol-related, does this mean that non-drinking is associated with 96% of cancers?

Bring on the celebrations!!!

Thanks for the laugh doogles. And for confirming my suspicions about the study. It's almost depressing how many investigators don't seem to have an even basic handle on data analytics, or at the least understand the difference between causation and correlation. Change is coming, though...
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Postby zetreque on July 23rd, 2016, 9:52 pm 

"some" is right.
I recommend looking into Lustig's research. It could shed light on possible mechanisms for alcohol being linked to cancer. It's probably no more linked to cancer than refined sugar consumption is.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby BioWizard on July 23rd, 2016, 10:01 pm 

zetreque » 23 Jul 2016 08:52 pm wrote:"some" is right.
I recommend looking into Lustig's research. It could shed light on possible mechanisms for alcohol being linked to cancer. It's probably no more linked to cancer than refined sugar consumption is.

I know all about Lustig. I've seen his videos and read his articles (I also have a PhD in Biochemistry). I suspect you might be making unsubstantiated connections here.

Zet, I think you have a good heart and want to be a kind person. I understand that you have some negative feelings about certain aspects of modern society and corporate industry. But I hope that you won't let that turn you into a cynic.

Relax, have a beer. I'm about to have one right now.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Postby zetreque on July 23rd, 2016, 10:21 pm 

BioWizard » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:01 pm wrote:
zetreque » 23 Jul 2016 08:52 pm wrote: I suspect you might be making unsubstantiated connections here.

Just a thought at how they might be related.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby BioWizard on July 23rd, 2016, 10:54 pm 

zetreque » 23 Jul 2016 09:21 pm wrote:
BioWizard » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:01 pm wrote:
zetreque » 23 Jul 2016 08:52 pm wrote: I suspect you might be making unsubstantiated connections here.

Just a thought at how they might be related.

Ok fair enough
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Postby TheVat on July 24th, 2016, 9:14 am 

Doogles, that bit about nondrinking associated with 96% of cancers was LOL funny....I may have to steal that. (that parrot joke was great, too, btw....passed it along to Catholic friend)

This all reminds me of that famous takedown of correlation stats, where butter consumption causes increased divorces in Maine (or something like that).

Beer is wonderful - like really good sourdough bread in a liquid form. I don't drink much anymore ( alcohol bothers my sinuses and throat) but still enjoy my brain in a vat now and then. A couple sips of whiskey is excellent for mild indigestion, too.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Return to Science News Discussion Forum