Woman Mauled To Death By Tiger In Chinese Park

Anyone can post and discuss breaking science news or science-related public policy, that interests them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Woman Mauled To Death By Tiger In Chinese Park

Postby toucana on July 24th, 2016, 10:51 am 

Badaling.png
Badaling Wildlife Park CCTV Image

A woman was mauled to death and another was seriously injured when they were attacked by Siberian tigers at a wildlife park in Beijing.

http://news.sky.com/story/tiger-mauls-woman-to-death-at-beijing-park-10511084

The pair reportedly got into an argument while driving round Beijing Badaling Wildlife World, which ended when one of the women decided to get out of their car.

CCTV footage shows the moment a tiger leaps at the woman from behind, grabbing her and pulling her away from the vehicle.

The attack prompted a man and a woman to get out of the car to chase after the tiger in a bid to help. The second woman was killed by a tiger, which then carried her body away.

It is reported that park staff rushed to help the pair, but were only able to save one of them.

The Badaling Wildlife Park 八达岭镇 is a large 400 hectares park located at the foot of the Great Wall in Yan Qing county 延庆县 about 60 kilometres to the north of Beijing, adjacent to the Badaling Expressway.

The park is home to over 10,000 forms of wildlife across 100 different species.
User avatar
toucana
Chatroom Operator
 
Posts: 1447
Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Location: Bristol UK
Blog: View Blog (10)


Re: Woman Mauled To Death By Tiger In Chinese Park

Postby TheVat on July 24th, 2016, 11:17 am 

I can almost imagine the argument..."Ugh, you're impossible! I'll take my chances with the wild animals, rather than spend another minute with you, you [Chinese expletive]!" The tiger had the last word, it seems.

I suspect the tigers are being squeezed, by surrounding encroachments, and young ones can't find sufficient territory and more palatable game (large cats do not like the flavor of apes and hominids, I have read, and only prey on them when other game is scarce). Also a problem in India.

I am sorry to say a certain catchphrase from The Sopranos, and Martin Scorsese films, crossed my mind when i saw the park's name is Badaling...
User avatar
TheVat
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 7264
Joined: 21 Jan 2014
Location: Black Hills


Re: Woman Mauled To Death By Tiger In Chinese Park

Postby toucana on July 24th, 2016, 12:04 pm 

According to Chinese language sources it all began as a car-fight involving the wife and mother-in-law of the man who was driving the car.

The English language visitor website says:
"In Wildlife World visitors will have the chance to feed beasts of prey and to have close encounter with mild and lovable animals".

http://english.visitbeijing.com.cn/sightseeing/n214675114.shtml

But it probably wasn't meant to be taken quite so literally, not in the tiger enclosure at least. Another archive photo from the same park (below) shows why.
Attachments
Tigers.png
Badaling Wildlife Centre Excursion
User avatar
toucana
Chatroom Operator
 
Posts: 1447
Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Location: Bristol UK
Blog: View Blog (10)


Re: Woman Mauled To Death By Tiger In Chinese Park

Postby vivian maxine on July 24th, 2016, 1:33 pm 

Which just proves again my contention that zoos, parks, whatever you want to call them, should be outlawed. It is cruel punishment to the animals.

My unasked-for opinion and I'm sticking with it.
vivian maxine
Resident Member
 
Posts: 2823
Joined: 01 Aug 2014


Re: Woman Mauled To Death By Tiger In Chinese Park

Postby TheVat on July 24th, 2016, 4:03 pm 

toucana » July 24th, 2016, 9:04 am wrote:
The English language visitor website says:
[i]"In Wildlife World visitors will have the chance to feed beasts of prey..."


I know it is unseemly to derive humor from such a grim and tragic event, so I will strive to omit any telltales of amusement from all future posts.

The strain is considerable.

BTW, I wanted to caption that photo with, "A vending machine on wheels. Cool. Got any quarters, Larry?"
Or something like that.

Apologies for not quite meeting the standard I set at the outset of this post.
User avatar
TheVat
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 7264
Joined: 21 Jan 2014
Location: Black Hills


Re: Woman Mauled To Death By Tiger In Chinese Park

Postby Paralith on July 24th, 2016, 4:22 pm 

vivian maxine wrote:Which just proves again my contention that zoos, parks, whatever you want to call them, should be outlawed. It is cruel punishment to the animals.

My unasked-for opinion and I'm sticking with it.


You can have your opinion, but the quality of life and degree of suffering of the animals in question is something that can in fact be studied and measured. Yes, many zoos do not have the quality of enclosures all their animals need, and for some animals it may simply not be feasible for something the size of a zoo to be able to provide them what they need. But before you make sweeping statements about zoos being cruel, perhaps take the time to think of the many conservation and animal welfare scientists and dedicated zookeepers who work tirelessly to provide captive animals with a good quality of life. And the fact that at the rate we're going, zoos may be the last and only safe haven for many animal species.
User avatar
Paralith
Resident Expert
 
Posts: 3039
Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Blog: View Blog (2)


Re: Woman Mauled To Death By Tiger In Chinese Park

Postby vivian maxine on July 24th, 2016, 5:10 pm 

Paralith » July 24th, 2016, 3:22 pm wrote:
vivian maxine wrote:Which just proves again my contention that zoos, parks, whatever you want to call them, should be outlawed. It is cruel punishment to the animals.

My unasked-for opinion and I'm sticking with it.


You can have your opinion, but the quality of life and degree of suffering of the animals in question is something that can in fact be studied and measured. Yes, many zoos do not have the quality of enclosures all their animals need, and for some animals it may simply not be feasible for something the size of a zoo to be able to provide them what they need. But before you make sweeping statements about zoos being cruel, perhaps take the time to think of the many conservation and animal welfare scientists and dedicated zookeepers who work tirelessly to provide captive animals with a good quality of life. And the fact that at the rate we're going, zoos may be the last and only safe haven for many animal species.


Physically, they often - and more so every day as zoos improve - lead a healthier physical life. But I once had a long look into the eyes of a lion as he lay on his bench inside a cage. Pure boredom is all I saw. Just a plea to get out and go home. Then there was the heckling the humans were giving the gorilla, very obviously to his great frustration and annoyance. But it's the look in that lion's eyes that got to me. To this day I still remember and see. That is the last time I ever entered a zoo and I never will again.

There is more to life than a healthy body. I know people with very unhealthy bodies who live great - and often successful - lives. I have not yet met anyone with an unhealthy mind/spirit who did the same.

By the way, I did not intend to label zoos as cruel. My intention was to label the idea of taking wild animals out of their natural habitat and confining them is cruel. They may all be doing the very best they can with what they have but the concept is, in my opinion, cruel. And, yes, there are some good come-backs to my attitude but I know (knew) a lion that would agree with me (if lions can agree with us humans).
vivian maxine
Resident Member
 
Posts: 2823
Joined: 01 Aug 2014


Re: Woman Mauled To Death By Tiger In Chinese Park

Postby BioWizard on July 24th, 2016, 6:24 pm 

Vivian, I understand (to some extent) and accept your position. However, the assumption that altering the wild living conditions of any creature is automatically cruel and causes suffering is simply a false generalization. Just think, how many of us would be willing to drop our modern lifestyles, tiny living enclosures, overworked schedules, etc and go back to "freely" roaming the savanna? I can definitely see some arguments for it, but it still doesn't automatically ring of "luxury" to me. And I kind of like my life-style quite a bit, and don't think I would feel any happier by making it closer to how humans lived say 30000 years ago.

A fundamental property of biological life is adaptability. And this is no different. It's very difficult to agree on what is "meant to be" what in absolute terms. Conditions change, life adapts to them. It could be cruel in parts, not so much in others. But in many cases, it's could be just change - which is the only constant in life.

When people like Paralith can offer fact-based conclusions about the "mental state" of the animals, it is worth more than a sweeping generalization imho.
User avatar
BioWizard
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 12071
Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Location: United States
Blog: View Blog (3)


Re: Woman Mauled To Death By Tiger In Chinese Park

Postby vivian maxine on July 24th, 2016, 6:55 pm 

BioWizard » July 24th, 2016, 5:24 pm wrote:Vivian, I understand (to some extent) and accept your position. However, the assumption that altering the wild living conditions of any creature is automatically cruel and causes suffering is simply a false generalization. Just think, how many of us would be willing to drop our modern lifestyles, tiny living enclosures, overworked schedules, etc and go back to "freely" roaming the savanna? I can definitely see some arguments for it, but it still doesn't automatically ring of "luxury" to me. And I kind of like my life-style quite a bit, and don't think I would feel any happier by making it closer to how humans lived say 30000 years ago.

A fundamental property of biological life is adaptability. And this is no different. It's very difficult to agree on what is "meant to be" what in absolute terms. Conditions change, life adapts to them. It could be cruel in parts, not so much in others. But in many cases, it's could be just change - which is the only constant in life.

When people like Paralith can offer fact-based conclusions about the "mental state" of the animals, it is worth more than a sweeping generalization imho.


I know. there are pros and cons. I don't deny it. It's just how I feel. Years ago, they were "rescuing" abused or orphaned children and putting them in orphanages. They finally found out that that was a very poor arrangement, given its psychological effects. It isn't quite the same but it surely isn't totally different. Some day, they may realize the same about animals. They belong in their own natural habitat.

I have utmost respect for Paralith and others who are of different opinion. I just cannot agree. But I promise not to interfere. That is how it is done - without me.
vivian maxine
Resident Member
 
Posts: 2823
Joined: 01 Aug 2014


Re: Woman Mauled To Death By Tiger In Chinese Park

Postby BioWizard on July 24th, 2016, 7:02 pm 

Vivian, I too was just sharing my humble opinion, which isn't likely to change anything either (apparently, not even your opinion) :]
User avatar
BioWizard
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 12071
Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Location: United States
Blog: View Blog (3)


Re: Woman Mauled To Death By Tiger In Chinese Park

Postby vivian maxine on July 24th, 2016, 7:15 pm 

BioWizard » July 24th, 2016, 6:02 pm wrote:Vivian, I too was just sharing my humble opinion, which isn't likely to change anything either (apparently, not even your opinion) :]


:-)
vivian maxine
Resident Member
 
Posts: 2823
Joined: 01 Aug 2014


Re: Woman Mauled To Death By Tiger In Chinese Park

Postby Paralith on July 26th, 2016, 6:15 pm 

vivan, by welfare I was not referring only to physical health. It is broadly understood that a good quality of life also requires regular mental enrichment, which is itself turning into a whole field of study.

And while unfortunately the origin of many zoo populations is in the cruel capture of animals from the wild, this practice is widely abhorred in zoos across most of the world today. If animals are taken in from the wild today, it's usually because an individual or two was rescued from injury or even more horrible circumstance (exotic pet trade, etc). In pretty much every accredited zoo in America nearly every animal you will see was born and raised in captivity, and most likely would not be capable of being re-introduced to and surviving in the wild.

Do you know what lions do for 18 - 20 hours a day? Even wild ones?

Sleep.

The lion that touched your heart may have been bored. He may also have just been dozing, as his species is wont to do.

Primates and especially the great apes do pose a challenge, being extremely social and very intelligent. But great strides are being made in the name of their welfare, in building them enclosures that give them spaces to retreat to for rest and to feel secure in, room to climb in, families to bond and play with, and food puzzles and toys that vary every day. Zoos are not perfect, and many of them have a good ways to go in improving the lives of the animals they care for, but they are not inherently evil. Few things are, after all.
User avatar
Paralith
Resident Expert
 
Posts: 3039
Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Blog: View Blog (2)


Re: Woman Mauled To Death By Tiger In Chinese Park

Postby vivian maxine on July 27th, 2016, 9:07 am 

You make a good case, Paralith. I do know that. But sometimes our feelings get in the way and we can't let go of them. I know all cats sleep a lot but this big fellow was not asleep. The picture just stays in my mind. Call it silly; call it a weakness; but that's how it left me.
vivian maxine
Resident Member
 
Posts: 2823
Joined: 01 Aug 2014


Re: Woman Mauled To Death By Tiger In Chinese Park

Postby TheVat on August 2nd, 2016, 12:26 pm 

While we're talking about Darwin Award contenders, I think this Canadian drinker deserves mention.....

http://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/ ... roit-river


I presume Donald Trump will now want to build some kind of barrier to keep out drunken Canadians.
User avatar
TheVat
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 7264
Joined: 21 Jan 2014
Location: Black Hills



Return to Science News Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests