Science is Nerdy?

Anyone can post and discuss breaking science news or science-related public policy, that interests them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Science is Nerdy?

Postby vivian maxine on August 1st, 2016, 12:03 pm 

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/01/us/po ... 71439&_r=0

President Obama has honored the White House (MO) by bringing science to that residence. He has especially honored our young, budding scientists by taking an active interest in their works. A great stride forward. Just one question:

Why does the New York Times call this "nerdy"? I am sure they meant nothing derogatory. At least I hope not. But Oxford's definition of "nerd" does not seem to fit here. Am I being nerdy?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: Science is Nerdy?

Postby Watson on August 1st, 2016, 1:34 pm 

The term "Science nerd' has been around along time, it is only in the last 10 years it has been less derogatory, with the lovable geeks from BBT all getting the girl. I think they were going for more the modern context of nerdie. In any case go to see science getting some acknowledgement.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby vivian maxine on August 1st, 2016, 2:20 pm 

Watson » August 1st, 2016, 12:34 pm wrote:The term "Science nerd' has been around along time, it is only in the last 10 years it has been less derogatory, with the lovable geeks from BBT all getting the girl. I think they were going for more the modern context of nerdie. In any case go to see science getting some acknowledgement.

Thank you, Watson. That is what I was trying to tell myself. But even my "modern" American dictionary used the old, derogatory definition. Ah well, that's a strike against books - they can't be updated daily. And, yes, good to see any form of scholarship rewarded. It took a while.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on August 1st, 2016, 5:49 pm 

American (and many others) culture WRONGLY makes it uncool to be smart or to think. It's ingrained in our culture that it is uncool to think or achieve. One side of it seems to be people who want it to be uncool so they can think/invent and one up you to make more money. Like if you think its not cool to be smart and don't learn, then they can learn in secret and be better than you. Another side of it is the working class service/labor industry that seems to have an ego problem in that they couldn't do any better than to get a job as a plumber so anyone who actually uses their brain for a living they don't want to be better than them even though the service class. It's a totally wrong ego problem because working in the labor industry is not any less or more important than other jobs. It's the mindset of people who just fall into thinking that they are not thinkers so they do mindless labor type of work even though they have the capability and know they have the thinking skill to do and specialize in their work.

There is some sort of ego problem and scam behind it I think. People should be writing in letters to the editor from all over yelling at the New York times for what if anything should be considered politically incorrect is calling science nerdy. It's a very bad stereotype that reinforces social constructs of inferiority or being uncool. I do everything possible to get away from reinforcing those kinds of social constructs.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby vivian maxine on August 2nd, 2016, 8:26 am 

zetreque » August 1st, 2016, 4:49 pm wrote:American (and many others) culture WRONGLY makes it uncool to be smart or to think. It's ingrained in our culture that it is uncool to think or achieve. One side of it seems to be people who want it to be uncool so they can think/invent and one up you to make more money. Like if you think its not cool to be smart and don't learn, then they can learn in secret and be better than you. Another side of it is the working class service/labor industry that seems to have an ego problem in that they couldn't do any better than to get a job as a plumber so anyone who actually uses their brain for a living they don't want to be better than them even though the service class. It's a totally wrong ego problem because working in the labor industry is not any less or more important than other jobs. It's the mindset of people who just fall into thinking that they are not thinkers so they do mindless labor type of work even though they have the capability and know they have the thinking skill to do and specialize in their work.

There is some sort of ego problem and scam behind it I think. People should be writing in letters to the editor from all over yelling at the New York times for what if anything should be considered politically incorrect is calling science nerdy. It's a very bad stereotype that reinforces social constructs of inferiority or being uncool. I do everything possible to get away from reinforcing those kinds of social constructs.

Time was NYT would have censored that headline but times aren't that way any more. NYT has changed but it still brings good and needed news. And, as Watson said, it is good to see science getting noticed and honored. Especially where it is students who need all the encouragement they can get.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Return to Science News Discussion Forum