New baby born from 3 parents

Anyone can post and discuss breaking science news or science-related public policy, that interests them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

New baby born from 3 parents

Postby BioWizard on September 28th, 2016, 9:03 am 

A boy was born with DNA from 3 people using a refurbished cloning procedure. The purpose of the procedure was to free the baby from mitochondrial genetic defects in the mother, which would be postnatally incapacitating and/or fatal.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/21 ... technique/
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: New baby born from 3 parents

Postby SciameriKen on September 28th, 2016, 10:44 am 

BioWizard » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:03 pm wrote:A boy was born with DNA from 3 people using a refurbished cloning procedure. The purpose of the procedure was to free the baby from mitochondrial genetic defects in the mother, which would be postnatally incapacitating and/or fatal.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/21 ... technique/

There was something unique about this birth, but I forgot what it was. I believe they have previously joined Person A with Person B's DNA into Person C's donated egg (containing the mitochondria). I believe they manipulated the genome of the mitochondria this time?
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby BioWizard on September 28th, 2016, 11:16 am 

You're correct, the technique itself isn't new and it was done previously many years ago. To my knowledge they just used updated technologies (which I suppose addresses technical difficulties that they faced before when they had to stop doing it). I'm not aware if they also did any gene edits in the process. My understanding is that getting the mitos from the third person circumvents the need for doing any editing (which I'm assuming would have had to be done on the mom's mitochondrial DNA). But I don't know all the facts so who knows.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Postby TheVat on September 28th, 2016, 12:17 pm 

My understanding is that getting the mitos from the third person circumvents the need for doing any editing (which I'm assuming would have had to be done on the mom's mitochondrial DNA).
- BioW

That was how I read it. The nucleus from mom is implanted in the donor egg, in which the donor's mitos are just passively sitting there and not affected. I remember learning in college how we are all slightly more related (in terms of percentages of genes contributed) to our mothers than our fathers. (especially if we are male, since we have Mom's 37 mito genes, and her X chromo is longer than dad's Y chromo.) If this couple had a little girl by this means, it would be that rare child that is equally related to its 2 "main" parents.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby BioWizard on September 28th, 2016, 12:20 pm 

Braininvat » 28 Sep 2016 11:17 am wrote:
My understanding is that getting the mitos from the third person circumvents the need for doing any editing (which I'm assuming would have had to be done on the mom's mitochondrial DNA).
- BioW

That was how I read it. The nucleus from mom is implanted in the donor egg, in which the donor's mitos are just passively sitting there and not affected. I remember learning in college how we are all slightly more related (in terms of percentages of genes contributed) to our mothers than our fathers. (especially if we are male, since we have Mom's 37 mito genes, and her X chromo is longer than dad's Y chromo.) If this couple had a little girl by this means, it would be that rare child that is equally related to its 2 "main" parents.

That's a cool observation Biv, I had missed that.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Return to Science News Discussion Forum