Standing Rock North Dakota Oil Access Pipeline

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Standing Rock North Dakota Oil Access Pipeline

Postby zetreque on November 8th, 2016, 2:13 am 

Has anyone been following the N. Dakota Access Pipeline situation? IMO this is just as important of an event as the election because this is one of the largest problems we are facing in this country. fossil fuel versus civil rights wars.

It's escalating all the time as more people from around the country flock to the area. Last estimate I heard was 7,000

6 days ago from this post.

It’s Happening: These Cops Left Standing Rock and Refuse to Return
http://theantimedia.org/cops-leave-standing-rock/

Journalist shot with rubber bullet while giving interview.
http://fusion.net/story/365922/standing-rock-erin-schrode-shot-police-no-dapl/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=fusion
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Re: Standing Rock North Dakota Oil Access Pipeline

Postby Braininvat on November 8th, 2016, 11:06 am 

I live 3 hours away, and as you might guess (given my green politics) I've been following this. The ND governor is nothing but a tool for the oil industry. Yes, these issues, and Senate and House races may be of more importance in the log run.

And what genius came up with running a pipeline UNDER A MAJOR RIVER? (Smacks forehead)
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Forest_Dump on November 8th, 2016, 11:16 am 

Oddly I have been hearing about this since mid(?) summer and thought it was old news when Woody Harrelson came out with statements. Back in Aug or Sept I had even been hearing from people close to me thinking about going down to join in as part of First Nations solidarity. Nonetheless I am equivocal for a variety of reasons so might wait to see how this thread goes before offering some points from the less favoured side.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on November 8th, 2016, 11:38 am 

There is a large group facebook group forming where I live. I know a couple of deeply dedicated people to indigenous rights. They travel all around the world. In fact, the trip I took to Alaska two years ago was with one of them through special invitation from the tribe. I wish I could be there in ND. Not so much as to support the people, but this is a cause that to me is worth standing for. I'm tired of the direction our country is taking when it comes to energy subsidies, water, and resources, and then when they trample people's rights and resources that's just extra sickening. Not even knowing who Mark Ruffalo is, I thought what he said was right on.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on November 11th, 2016, 2:41 am 

Nation wide protests against the pipeline.
https://actionnetwork.org/event_campaig ... -engineers

It's crazy following this story. There are lots of peaceful protestors but then you have secret police operations and violence on both sides. It's really hard to make sense of it. I don't think anyone should judge this situation without deep research to get to the truth. There are a lot of psychos confusing the issue. One thing is certain though. This is a movement for a stand against dirty energy, big money scare tactics, and clear civil rights violations.

As one of the protestors put it today. "we don't even want to bring attention to the police issue, this was supposed to be an environmental issue. I never expected it to turn into a civil rights issue."

If you ever wanted to join a movement for a better world. This is one that has momentum as long as people inform themselves and keep following it. Be peaceful and educate yourself and others as much as possible on reality.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on November 11th, 2016, 8:20 pm 

Veterans Head To Standing Rock To Support 'We The People'
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby edy420 on December 21st, 2016, 3:45 am 

My people can relate to the Sioux tribes stuggles.
We have similar used and abused treaties and have to stand aside as sacred lands are desecrated.
Maori stand with standing rock, in prayer and with Haka.

The Maori war dance Haka evokes fear in the enemy, even enemy with guns.

edy420

Postby zetreque on January 2nd, 2017, 5:37 pm 

And the movement grows.

http://defunddapl.org

http://fortune.com/tag/divest-from-dapl/
Protesters who oppose the Dakota Access Pipeline dropped a large banner from the rafters of U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis during a Vikings-Bears game on Sunday afternoon.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Return to News Discussion Forum