lawsuit against obama and future trump over climate change

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

lawsuit against obama and future trump over climate change

Postby zetreque on November 12th, 2016, 12:54 am 

Donald Trump may face young people suing over global warming

http://www.watoday.com.au/environment/climate-change/donald-trump-may-face-young-people-suing-over-global-warming-20161111-gsn6im.html

Youths from across the US won a chance on Thursday to pursue claims that the Obama administration didn't do enough to protect the environment from climate change when an Oregon federal judge rejected the government's request to dismiss their lawsuit.

The 21 children and teenagers who filed the case claim that, by perpetuating the use of fossil fuels, the US government has trampled on their constitutional rights to life, liberty and property.

US District Judge Ann Aiken, in Eugene, Oregon, said in Thursday's ruling that the case was "not about proving that climate change is happening or that human activity is driving it".

Instead, the judge said, the questions before her were whether the children have standing to challenge the government's policy and whether a court can order the US to change course without running foul of the constitution.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: lawsuit against obama and maybe trump about climate chan

Postby zetreque on November 12th, 2016, 1:10 am 

Related to that. Something you won't find in mainstream media

'Everyone is vulnerable': Trump presidency a risk to Australia's climate science
http://www.theage.com.au/environment/climate-change/everyone-is-vulnerable-trump-presidency-a-risk-to-australias-climate-science-20161111-gsneld
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Re: lawsuit against obama and future trump over climate chan

Postby Natural ChemE on November 12th, 2016, 4:00 am 

Trump seems crazy about this topic; he doesn't seem to know anything. Summary:
For an example of the crazy, here's Trump's Twitter:
Donald J. Trump (‏@realDonaldTrump), Twitter (2012-11-06) wrote:The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive.

And here's Trump denying his own words on national television:
The First Presidential Debate: Hillary Clinton And Donald Trump (Full Debate) | NBC News @16:52, YouTube wrote:Clinton:
    Donald thinks that climate change is a hoax perpetrated by the Chinese. I think it's real.
Trump:
    I did not. I did not. I do not say that. I do not say that.

This kinda crazy leaves professionals like me confused over just what the heck the dude's thinking. Is Trump going to just drop the Clean Power Plan? We've got billions of dollars hung up in this. It's problematic, ya know?
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on November 12th, 2016, 4:08 am 

There is nothing more scary than the unknown or uncertainty. To any observant person, Trump is a disillusion psychopath and we really don't know what is in store for us. He is now reverting a lot on all the issues he promised his supporters which further proves he is just another lying politician con artist like people posted about throughout the past several months.

This lawsuit is great, but there is a major threat by the supreme court judge he will appoint.

This article lays it out a little better.
http://www.climatecentral.org/news/climate-lawsuit-awaits-trump-20872

“The prospect of a Supreme Court with one or more Trump appointees does not instill confidence,” said Michael Gerrard, a professor at Columbia Law School. “But this kind of litigation is all the more important in the Trump era.”

What had been a legal problem for a federal government that prided itself on being a leader on climate action is about to become a legal problem for the administration of a president who has called climate change “a hoax.”
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on November 2nd, 2018, 9:29 pm 

zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby jocular on November 3rd, 2018, 7:20 am 

Whatever about the merits of the case it is a victory for keeping the issue in the public eye.

I am getting the feeling that the horse has actually bolted now though and worry how bad and how quickly bad things will become , with runaway scenarios looming terrifying- though that is for another thread.
jocular

Postby Braininvat on November 3rd, 2018, 9:39 am 

This thread...

viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=23&t=30620&start=90

...has been one I've been keeping active on climate change developments. Contributions (with supporting citations) always welcome.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Return to News Discussion Forum