Trump Set To Cut NEA, PBS & NPR Funding

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Re: Trump Set To Cut NEA, PBS & NPR Funding

Postby SciameriKen on January 24th, 2017, 2:26 pm 

ronjanec » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:15 pm wrote:I honestly do not see how any legitmate media watch dog group could not see the bias here unless they are blind SK.

And to offer some absolutely conclusive and please just shut up now and forever everyone proof, NPR was our former SPCF forum members Mtbturtle's favorite everyday media source(she said so one time on the forum).

And if that doesn't finally convince you that they are really and actually biased to the left, then you are sadly a very hopeless case, :)

Lol drop the mic :D

In all seriousness though - to address your first point above:
"But he did actually say this SK right?(even if this has now become a right wing propaganda piece like you just mentioned)"

So as they say, there is the fact, and then there is the interpretation of the fact. Did he actually say that? I wouldn't argue that point. But your right wing propaganda piece interprets that fact as a sign that all of NPR is liberal biased and would have you believe nothing is trustworthy on the basis of this one event. You seem to have accepted this in its entirety, and would therefore be just another of, "The vast majority of the US adult population [that] will believe almost any of the bullshit that the media feeds them".

Alternatively my interpretation of that fact is that NPR identified, or had it brought to their attention a situation of bias in one of their correspondents - and are publicly acknowledging the situation so as to improve their product and maintain bias free reporting. i think the reality is that bias free reporting is their goal, however, they slip on occasion and when they do, they do so on the left side of the spectrum.
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby ronjanec on January 24th, 2017, 2:35 pm 

Forest, I have talked about this a number of times on here. CNN is actually my favorite national news station(I almost never watch Fox), and they are the first website I go to for news in the morning. For local news in Chicago, I watch super Lefties WGN, NBC, ABC. etc. etc. I also (of course) spend a lot of time checking out news on a number of conservative websites all through the day.

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I do get my news and information from both sides of the fence, to avoid anyone in the media(from either side of the political spectrum) completely brainwashing me.
Last edited by ronjanec on January 24th, 2017, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on January 24th, 2017, 2:40 pm 

Forest_Dump » January 24th, 2017, 1:10 pm wrote:Back in the 1990s I spent a lot of time driving through the US from Maine to North Dakota, down to Kansas and Oklahoma and back across to Florida (collecting rock samples, by the way). Away from the cities, almost the only radio stations I could get played country music or Christian mullahs. Thank god I had lots of music tapes but every once in a while I needed to hear another rational human voice and especially something thought provoking. Even Howard Stern (then a novelty) was better than most of what was on the radio and NPR was definitely better than all the same old on everything else. Even the broadcasts on cars (very boring to me) was better. The US absolutely needs greater diversity of opinions and ideas, exposure to science, etc., more and more and I think it is incredibly sad how little the US gets outside the cities.

Ronjanec you keep exhorting people to give your alt-right media a listen to in order to expand their minds. Do you d the same? Do you give some thought to alternate opinions and ideas that might have a different bias than you have? Do you encourage your kids to think through more than one side of a political argument? How?

A very apt description of country radio. Makes me smile. Then there is the Sunday morning preaching. Don't hear as much of that any more.

Collecting rocks? I did that on a trip to Montana/Wyoming area. Came home with a much heavier suitcase than I'd left with.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on January 24th, 2017, 2:41 pm 

SK,

I never said that I did not believe their bullshit at times, and I am just as guilty as anyone here sometimes in believing the bullshit from the left, and even more so from the right, as Lomax not so gently, but still correctly, admonished me one time. :)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Forest_Dump on January 24th, 2017, 3:04 pm 

ronjanec wrote:Forest, I have talked about this a number of times on here. CNN is actually my favorite national news station(I almost never watch Fox), and they are the first website I go to for news in the morning. For local news in Chicago, I watch super Lefties WGN, NBC, ABC. etc. etc. I also (of course) spend a lot of time checking out news on a number of conservative websites all through the day.

And there is the problem. You monitor the moderate right and far right. There is nothing here that indicates to me that you are even exposed to the middle of the road let alone anything "leftie". I too am familiar with all those networks, their news contents, etc., (we get them all in Canada) but these all present a very limited array of perspectives and issues. You really do need to broaden your horizons. I could recommend something more balanced like the CBC although that too much be too much of a culture shock but the CBC is where Keven O'Leary (Canada's new Trump wannabe) got his start and they do give lots of interviews to all the conservatives currently vying for the party leadership (coming in May).
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on January 24th, 2017, 3:06 pm 

What's amusing to me is that people somehow thinking getting news from extremist sources like Breitbart, Zerohedge, etc. is somehow providing a balancing that will somehow yield greater truth and accuracy. Sources that have a polemic agenda are never going to advance you towards truth, on either side, because they have no charter for objective reportage and factchecking.

Also, another thought about defining bias. Some say bias lies in which facts are selected. But consider some far-right blog that digs up something like "Obama dropped the ball in our relations with Namibia, diplomat is miffed and withdraws golf privileges." Then, and here's the problem, the importance of this one instance of ineptitude is magnified and shrill pundits start crying, "OMG, the mainstream media IGNORED the whole Namibia debacle," as if some evil editorial agenda is suppressing the awful news about Namibia. As my example suggests to a rational person, it's more likely that the MSM was busy covering legislation in Congress, our relations with the Middle East and Russia and China, the employment rate, transportation, global trade, and all that stuff that matters in a big way. It isn't bias, it's actually just good journalism, covering the big stories, rather than launching some major feature series based on some minor golf access blip in our foreign relations. But the right wing echo chamber keeps right on harping on Namibia, ignoring all the achievements of the administration, and acting as if Namibia were emblematic of some vast incompetence and corruption. It's a sneaky and dishonest trick, and I see it used all the time. So that's why I largely avoid Drudge, Breitbart, ZeroHedge as sources of "balance." Sure, I might read the Omaha World Herald or the Houston Chronicle, if I want a source to balance, say, the Boston Globe or the Village Voice.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Serpent on January 24th, 2017, 3:08 pm 

What has never been made clear is: left of what?
Where is the line? How is it located? Is it drawn between the two political party platforms of a given election year, or by business interests vs social interests, or by commercial appeal vs education, or what?
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby SciameriKen on January 24th, 2017, 3:15 pm 

SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby ronjanec on January 24th, 2017, 3:22 pm 

Serpent » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:08 pm wrote:What has never been made clear is: left of what?
Where is the line? How is it located? Is it drawn between the two political party platforms of a given election year, or by business interests vs social interests, or by commercial appeal vs education, or what?

Left or right of center politically Serpent. Please don't also ask me to explain what the center is Serpent, because unlike Forest, I am not sure even if there is such a thing in American politics or in the reporting of the same. :)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby SciameriKen on January 24th, 2017, 3:34 pm 

ronjanec » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:22 pm wrote:
Serpent » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:08 pm wrote:What has never been made clear is: left of what?

Left or right of center politically Serpent. Please don't also ask me to explain what the center is Serpent, because unlike Forest, I am not sure even if there is such a thing in American politics or in the reporting of the same. :)

Its kind of a messed up system. You have Team left and Team right which both have negative connotations ascribed to them. For some reason its better to be in the center - at least for supposedly getting things done in Washington. But this logic implies that the answer found at the center is the correct one - which is simply not true. I think all of it just hides the fact that nobody really knows what the heck they are doing, and we are all too proud to admit to it :)
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby ronjanec on January 24th, 2017, 3:37 pm 

Well, I certainly disagree with you here Biv, and while the websites you mentioned certainly aren't perfect, they at least provide a usually rational counterpoint to much of the MSM's preaching. You make it sound like they are all on the level of the National Enquirer Biv. :)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on January 24th, 2017, 3:54 pm 

ronjanec » January 24th, 2017, 2:22 pm wrote:Please don't also ask me to explain what the center is Serpent, because unlike Forest, I am not sure even if there is such a thing in American politics or in the reporting of the same. :)

So.... You don't know what the center is, but you can clearly identify, soundly criticize, wholly reject and wish to eradicate what's left of it.
Uh-hu.
I suspect you are not alone.
Last edited by Serpent on January 24th, 2017, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on January 24th, 2017, 3:57 pm 

SciameriKen » January 24th, 2017, 2:34 pm wrote:
Its kind of a messed up system.

All the better to make uninformed snap-judgments about!

You have Team left and Team right which both have negative connotations ascribed to them.

May I assume that by Team you mean the two big fat parties nobody likes? Or is there some other way to choose up Teams? As you see, that didn't exactly locate the center.

But the chart was helpful. Thank you.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on January 24th, 2017, 4:09 pm 

Since I(or anyone else?) don't appear or seem to know what the "center" actually is, I just kill two birds with one stone by criticizing anything to the left of the aptly named "right" Serpent.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby SciameriKen on January 24th, 2017, 4:26 pm 

ronjanec » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:09 pm wrote:Since I(or anyone else?) don't appear or seem to know what the "center" actually is, I just kill two birds with one stone by criticizing anything to the left of the aptly named "right" Serpent.

These people will tell you where center is:
https://www.politicalcompass.org/test

Enjoy :D
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby ronjanec on January 24th, 2017, 4:51 pm 

Some of the questions were really difficult to decide how to answer SK.

https://www.politicalcompass.org/analys ... 5&soc=4.56

Ok, but this still won't tell us what the center actually IS SK.

Maybe this question actually belongs in the Metaphysics Forum? :)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on January 24th, 2017, 5:01 pm 

I've done that and, while simplistic, the result was not too far off my actual position.
But it doesn't really help with the mass media, since they either don't take the quiz or don't publish the result.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on January 24th, 2017, 5:04 pm 

SK, is Time magazine on that chart? I don't see it.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby SciameriKen on January 24th, 2017, 5:24 pm 

ronjanec » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:51 pm wrote:Some of the questions were really difficult to decide how to answer SK.

The center doesn't actually exist - its like plotting y=1/X.
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby SciameriKen on January 24th, 2017, 5:37 pm 

vivian maxine » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:04 pm wrote:SK, is Time magazine on that chart? I don't see it.

It wasn't very comprehensive - from what I've seen of time I'd put it near MSNBC if MSNBC were rightly placed lower in journalistic quality, perhaps between meets high standards and basic AF
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby ronjanec on January 24th, 2017, 6:47 pm 

SciameriKen » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:24 pm wrote:
ronjanec » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:51 pm wrote:Some of the questions were really difficult to decide how to answer SK.

The center doesn't actually exist - its like plotting y=1/X.

I know dat. I was just joking SK. :)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on January 24th, 2017, 7:36 pm 

Which, of course, means that 'left' and 'right' are a matter of opinion, just like 'bias' and 'partisanship'.
Which means fairness in reportage has gone the way of factuality.
Shut 'em all down and make more circuses.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on January 26th, 2017, 1:07 pm 

[keystone pipeline discussion moved to its own thread, also in News forum]
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Previous

Return to News Discussion Forum