This guy gets it

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

This guy gets it

Postby ronjanec on January 27th, 2017, 10:33 am 

Steve Bannon talks about some of the reasons why millions of Americans don't trust the Main Stream Media, and why we have lost all respect for them, and don't believe the vast majority of their (fake) news reporting: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/26/busi ... e&_r=1(the link not working?) http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/26/media/b ... index.html (the link to the NYT story does seem to be still working in the CNN article)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Re: This guy gets it

Postby Braininvat on January 27th, 2017, 10:44 am 

So this story about Bannon was in the New York Times??

Hmm, yes. Here's a working link:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/26/business/media/stephen-bannon-trump-news-media.html
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby ronjanec on January 27th, 2017, 10:48 am 

Braininvat » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:44 am wrote:So this story about Bannon was in the New York Times??
Yes Biv. There is again a still functioning link to it in the CNN link I just posted(do you see it there?)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on January 27th, 2017, 10:50 am 

Braininvat » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:44 am wrote:So this story about Bannon was in the New York Times??

Hmm, yes. Here's a working link:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/26/business/media/stephen-bannon-trump-news-media.html

Thanks Biv.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on January 27th, 2017, 10:55 am 

Still not seeing the irony?
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby ronjanec on January 27th, 2017, 11:03 am 

Braininvat » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:55 am wrote:Still not seeing the irony?

No. Maybe you could explain it instead of playing games? :)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Forest_Dump on January 27th, 2017, 11:19 am 

ronjanec wrote:No. Maybe you could explain it instead of playing games? :)

(Shakes head and wonders...)

Dude, you posted links to the NYTimes and CNN, two media outlets you accuse of spreading fake news. How, then, do you know this story that you posted isn't also fake news? You are making it pretty clear that you are only believing what you want to believe and are not even paying attention to your own beliefs.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on January 27th, 2017, 11:32 am 

The only news I believe is what calls itself "fake news" - on Comedy Central.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on January 27th, 2017, 11:51 am 

A story from the fake news people that I no longer respect or trust, can actually yes be trusted at least in this particular instance, because it is a story from an outside source actually affirming why they are yes the fake news people, and this being in spite of the fact that this is a story from the fake news people themselves.

Do you now get this...dude? (Shakes head and wonders...) :)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on January 27th, 2017, 12:40 pm 

"fake news" in every instance!? I certainly did not anticipate anyone here taking my personal use of this terminology LITERALLY in every instance without exception, so I am going to have to be a lot more careful in how I use the same words here on the forum in the future.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby SciameriKen on January 27th, 2017, 3:31 pm 

ronjanec » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:40 pm wrote:"fake news" in every instance!? I certainly did not anticipate anyone here taking my personal use of this terminology LITERALLY in every instance without exception, so I am going to have to be a lot more careful in how I use the same words here on the forum in the future.

I think Trump proves we have to take everything literal these days :)

Steve Bannon is way out of line on this. Does he have a point about the main stream media "getting it wrong" about the reasons why Trump is president? Perhaps - but this does not entitle him to say this:

“You’re the opposition party,” he said. “Not the Democratic Party. You’re the opposition party. The media’s the opposition party.”

The media can and say whatever it wants - that is their first amendment right. Journalism and Yellow journalism has been around for many years now, and as always it is up to the readers to discern which is which - not the government and especially not Steve Bannon.
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby ronjanec on January 27th, 2017, 4:32 pm 

"The media can say whatever it wants SK"? You mean including outright lying, lying by omission, slander, deliberately misrepresenting and twisting the facts, outright trickery and deceit, unfair character assainations, fixing the presidential debates etc. etc.?

I am pretty sure this was not what the founding fathers had in mind when they drafted the first amendment. Or would have said that we should allow in some cases what is basically a totalitarian corrupt dangerous system of distributing information to the American people who are very close to being accountable to no one?

What we need in my opinion, is a permanent bipartisan oversight watchdog committee in congress to provide a check and balance system on all forms of media(and in some really bad cases, our modern day versions of 'Der Sturmer')
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on January 27th, 2017, 4:43 pm 

They can say what they want just as you and I can. But they can also be sued just as you and I can. Freedom of speech is guaranteed in this country which is why we hear things said that would better have been not said. Which is why we see films being made and books being written that require censhorship for children and cautions for adults with sensitive "ears". It has even been stretched to dressing as you please regardless of how it looks.

Newspapers - reliable newspapers - are quick to fire a journalist who files and causes to be published fake news, fictionalized news, etc. So it really isn't quite the free-for-all that it sounds like. Any time they publish something, they'd better be ready to document their "facts".
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on January 27th, 2017, 4:52 pm 

By trickery, lying, and having a lot of money and also a lot of influence with very powerful people they(MSM) almost never lose a slander lawsuit against them Vivian.

"Freedom of speech is guaranteed"? Not anymore Vivian. Their(MSM) promotion, and very dangerous harsh enforcement of what they call "Political Correctness", is a direct assault on everyone's free speech rights.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on January 27th, 2017, 5:01 pm 

ronjanec » January 27th, 2017, 3:52 pm wrote:By trickery, lying, and having a lot of money and also a lot of influence with very powerful people they(MSM) almost never lose a slander lawsuit against them Vivian. And their promotion, and very dangerous enforcement of what they call "Political Correctness", is a direct assault on everyone's free speech rights.

I didn't say win or lose. I just said can be sued. And they don't all win. Especially not if they don't have support from their bosses. That's why reliable publishers will fire a journalist when it is proven that he wrote a false story, knowing it was false. Even Wikipedia once had to pull an article about someone in Tennessee. The libelous "facts" were not true. The man said he was not suing. He just wanted Wiki to made a public statement that the article was false which they did. Now they have a stricter system about who posts articles.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on January 27th, 2017, 5:08 pm 

Just saying it is very rare one way or the other Vivian. While we are on the subject: . Did George Zimmerman ever win his lawsuit against NBC for slandering him?
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby SciameriKen on January 27th, 2017, 5:13 pm 

ronjanec » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:32 pm wrote:"The media can say whatever it wants SK"? You mean including outright lying, lying by omission, slander, deliberately misrepresenting and twisting the facts, outright trickery and deceit, unfair character assainations, fixing the presidential debates etc. etc.?

I am pretty sure this was not what the founding fathers had in mind when they drafted the first amendment. Or would have said that we should allow in some cases what is basically a totalitarian corrupt dangerous system of distributing information to the American people who are very close to being accountable to no one?

What we need in my opinion, is a permanent bipartisan oversight watchdog committee in congress to provide a check and balance system on all forms of media(and in some really bad cases, our modern day versions of 'Der Sturmer')

Absolutely - life is crazy and you can't control it and this is exactly what the founding fathers had in mind when they wrote the 1st amendment. The check and balance system that needs to be in place is every American citizen needs to be well educated and be able to critically evaluate the validity of information.
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Return to News Discussion Forum