Use the "nuclear option"?

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Use the "nuclear option"?

Postby ronjanec on February 1st, 2017, 3:43 pm 

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/01/politics/ ... index.html I personally cannot see any good reason why not to;

I believe the Republicans are eventually going to have to resort to this anyway with some Dems already promising to fight Trump "tooth and nail" on his first conservative appointment to the court seemingly no matter how qualified he is(And if not this time then certainly the next: Or for example if Ruthie is finally repatriated back to the planet Mars by her fellow Aliens, creating another vacancy the Republicans will of course try to fill with another conservative justice)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Re: Use the "nuclear option"?

Postby Lomax on February 1st, 2017, 3:48 pm 

How odd that he should use the end of the world as a metaphor for his own policy.
Lomax
Forum Administrator

Postby ronjanec on February 1st, 2017, 3:53 pm 

Lomax » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:48 pm wrote:How odd that he should use the end of the world as a metaphor for his own policy.

It's ok as long as it's only this policy Lomax. :)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on February 1st, 2017, 4:11 pm 

Gorsuch is actually a remarkably sane and competent choice - the first one I've seen from Trump. His (Gorsuch's) dedication to Originalism and the Constitution means that he will likely stand up to Trump on any attempts to get around it. Several liberal jurists have come out today saying that liberals should go ahead and confirm this appointment. The real question is if whether or not Kennedy will choose to retire right away. He is fairly moderate, votes rationally and not always favoring the Right, and would likely be replaced by someone who is more of an ideologue.

The filibuster is a blunt, sometimes silly, instrument, so I don't much care if they get rid of it or not. If people don't like the way their congressman votes, then they should remember that when they next go to the polling station. The real problem is getting people to actually pay attention to what their congressional delegation is doing.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on February 1st, 2017, 4:20 pm 

Yes, from what I have read about him he sounds very qualified Biv: But I still would not bet against anyone who says that the Dems will still fight against his appointment just for revenge and ideological principles(I read before his selection by Trump, that he was said to be the most conservative pick of all the candidates)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby toucana on February 2nd, 2017, 5:30 am 

According to British press reports
Gorsuch founded the ‘Fascism Forever Club’ during his freshman year at Georgetown Preparatory, a now-$30,000-a-year private Jesuit school that is one of the most selective in the United States.
He served as president until he graduated in 1985, according to his senior yearbook.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4182852/Trump-s-SCOTUS-pick-founded-club-called-Fascism-Forever.html

Apparently The club was set up to rally against the ‘left-wing tendencies’ of his professors while attending a Jesuit all-boys preparatory high school near Washington D.C.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby ronjanec on February 2nd, 2017, 9:37 am 

"Apparently the club was set up to rally against the left-wing tendencies of his professors..."? I certainly hope that you are not trying to imply that this was in any way "a bad thing" Toucana? :)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Lomax on February 2nd, 2017, 10:57 am 

I'm gonna set up the Stalinism Forever Club here on the forum. It's a reaction against Ronjanec's right-wing tendencies. Who's with me?
Lomax
Forum Administrator

Postby Forest_Dump on February 2nd, 2017, 12:05 pm 

Personally I am more concerned about his pro-ISIS tendancies. Since he (and, of course, the rest of the Trumpies) are so much against the victims of ISIS (i.e., Syrians refugees and all the other Muslim victims of extremism), then he must be pro-ISIS.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on February 2nd, 2017, 12:28 pm 

Relax, folks. He's a SCOTUS judge and has a reputation for cautious and thoughtful jurisprudence, not judicial activism. I know the Democratic party is stinging from the Garland theft last year (when the GOP coalition basically turned its back on "advise and consent" and refused to advance Garland from committee to a general vote....basically rejecting a moderate nominee offered when Obama was very much not a lame duck....), so they may not calmly consider where to pick their battles and instead opt to rain down hell upon Gorsuch. This really hurts both parties, in terms of having civil politics and bipartisan cooperation when it's needed to run the country.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Lomax on February 2nd, 2017, 12:34 pm 

Pro-ISIS tendencies and pro-fascist tendencies would fit quite nicely together. The former is only a subset of the latter. Although (Forest), against your argument: Churchill was anti-semitic. I don't think we can claim he was pro-Nazi. Not in the '40s, anyway.
Lomax
Forum Administrator

Postby Lomax on February 2nd, 2017, 12:40 pm 

Braininvat » February 2nd, 2017, 5:28 pm wrote:Relax, folks. He's a SCOTUS judge and has a reputation for cautious and thoughtful jurisprudence, not judicial activism. I know the Democratic party is stinging from the Garland theft last year (when the GOP coalition basically turned its back on "advise and consent" and refused to advance Garland from committee to a general vote....basically rejecting a moderate nominee offered when Obama was very much not a lame duck....), so they may not calmly consider where to pick their battles and instead opt to rain down hell upon Gorsuch. This really hurts both parties, in terms of having civil politics and bipartisan cooperation when it's needed to run the country.

Taking a longer view, I rather think both parties need to sort their act out. Not just for their own country's sake.

As for picking battles, I understand - but consider: An attorney general who tried to block the black vote, a Supreme Court judge who ran a Fascism Forever Club, a chief strategist who was executive chair of an obsessively xenophobic news outlet, steps to move counter-terrorism away from monitoring white supremacists, and a refusal to denounce donor David Duke. The pieces build a picture.
Lomax
Forum Administrator

Postby ronjanec on February 2nd, 2017, 1:00 pm 

Lomax » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:57 am wrote:I'm gonna set up the Stalinism Forever Club here on the forum. It's a reaction against Ronjanec's right-wing tendencies. Who's with me?

Communist! We are going to have to put you on our nation's new "keep a very close eye on this guy" list! MAGA!
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on February 2nd, 2017, 1:06 pm 

Forest_Dump » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:05 am wrote:Personally I am more concerned about his pro-ISIS tendancies. Since he (and, of course, the rest of the Trumpies) are so much against the victims of ISIS (i.e., Syrians refugees and all the other Muslim victims of extremism), then he must be pro-ISIS.

Looks like we are also going to have to put you on the same list as Mr Lomax Mr Dump. :)
Last edited by ronjanec on February 2nd, 2017, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on February 2nd, 2017, 1:09 pm 

Lomax and Toucana,

The guy was something like 14 years old when he started this club? C'mon!
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Lomax on February 2nd, 2017, 1:28 pm 

You've talked me round Ron. He must be a smart guy if he was attending university at 14.
Lomax
Forum Administrator

Postby ronjanec on February 2nd, 2017, 1:34 pm 

Lomax » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:28 am wrote:You've talked me round Ron. He must be a smart guy if he was attending university at 14.

No, it's what we call "High School" here in the US Lomax not university(usually from ages 14 to 17/18)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Lomax on February 2nd, 2017, 2:20 pm 

Mea culpa. "Professors" threw me off. Well I was a communist at 19 and an anarchist at 20, so I wouldn't want to be held entirely responsible for the follies of youth, I suppose.
Lomax
Forum Administrator

Postby ronjanec on February 2nd, 2017, 2:42 pm 

And today you are a "Liberal": What will be your excuse for that after you pass the age of 35? :)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Lomax on February 2nd, 2017, 2:55 pm 

Well, quite. Just like Lincoln renounced his apathy toward slavery, and Churchill his enthusiasm toward European fascism, I renounce my communism. (I still hold some sympathy with anarchist philosophy.) I suppose the thing to do would be to interview Mr Gorsuch and see what he says about his previous positions. But of course, politicians have ulterior motives for everything they say, and so may he on this point.
Lomax
Forum Administrator

Postby ronjanec on February 2nd, 2017, 3:03 pm 

What did Churchill say about people who were "Liberals" after the age of 35 Lomax? :)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Lomax on February 2nd, 2017, 3:14 pm 

People like to make up Churchill quotes. At 35 - that is to say, in 1909-1910 - Churchill was a member of the Liberal Party. So you tell me ;)
Lomax
Forum Administrator

Postby ronjanec on February 2nd, 2017, 3:18 pm 

Lomax » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:14 pm wrote:People like to make up Churchill quotes. At 35 - that is to say, in 1909-1910 - Churchill was a member of the Liberal Party. So you tell me ;)

Maybe it took him a little longer than most to finally see the light? :)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Lomax on February 2nd, 2017, 3:32 pm 

Indeed. He was the first of the Conservative party to understand the threat of fascism - which is to say, the rest of them still hadn't understood it by the time we declared war. They were beaten to it by Russell, Orwell, and brainless liberals everywhere ;)
Lomax
Forum Administrator

Return to News Discussion Forum