from Daniel Dennett

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

from Daniel Dennett

Postby vivian maxine on February 12th, 2017, 10:38 am 

https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... collection

"I begrudge every hour I have to spend worrying about politics".

His part of the interview about comprehension and our rejection of it got my attention. When I got my first computer - a Dell - and asked a technician why something did what it did, his reply was like: "Don't worry about it. Just use it and leave the rest to us." I've always been a why and how person but I am finding it harder and harder to get answers. Anyone else?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: from Daniel Dennett

Postby wolfhnd on February 12th, 2017, 1:28 pm 

One of my favorite guys. Blaming the post modernists for the post truth environment instead of religion etc. is interesting. It is something I was warning about the atheist movement for years in so far as other beliefs systems will fill the void left by religion.

He hates Trump, ever intellectual does, no surprise there. I think very few people will get the message however that the way forward is to use the inflated sense of being moral actors the republicans have to push them in the right direction instead of calling them names.
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Braininvat on February 12th, 2017, 1:40 pm 

My bank recently sent me a notice, out of the blue, that they were sending me a new debit card. Why? Mine didn't expire until 2018. Just some vague reference to "potential for unauthorized transactions." What? What the ____ does that mean? After a couple of emails back and forth, I realize I need to talk to a live person. The live person says that one of the merchants, where I used the card, may have been compromised in some way. And that's all she could tell me. I wanted to know which merchant - this seems like useful information, right? Was this like Target a few years ago, when the Eastern Europeans hackers got into their customer information? Why couldn't the bank give me specific information, as I had with Target (I had to replace the card then, and was glad to do it)? Are they protecting the merchant? Don't I, as a customer of the bank, need to know if a merchant I go to regularly is sloppy in its transaction security? Yes, Viv, why and how are important and we shouldn't surrender to any system that tries to turn us into children. Now I'm going to read the interview....
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on February 12th, 2017, 1:52 pm 

Biv I also got that but - goodness - it was at least six or eight months ago. They work slowly? Or just use a form letter? As for telling you who the merchant is, they will not do that. I don't know if they aren't allowed to or if it is just a "courtesy" to the business that got hacked. You wondered if it was Target. I wondered if it was my bank. But, no, they will not tell us.

I am having a vague memory of a time still further back when some government organization told some business that they had to notify their customers of such issues to give them a chance to change cards. Could it be that giving us new cards without us asking for them is their way around telling you they got hacked?

By the way, do you know Daniel Dennett's works well enough to say if it will be hard reading? Far down on the interview page, there is a link to a review of the actual book. Must say the review was hard to read.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby wolfhnd on February 13th, 2017, 1:14 am 

Dennett is easy to read. He only occasionally devolves into philosophical obscurity.
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Eclogite on February 13th, 2017, 6:43 am 

wolfhnd » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:14 am wrote:Dennett is easy to read. He only occasionally devolves into philosophical obscurity.
He would benefit from being more concise.
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Postby vivian maxine on February 13th, 2017, 9:44 am 

Thank you both.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Forest_Dump on February 13th, 2017, 10:23 am 

Well later today we are taking a trip to the big city (well not that big) for the week and I am planning on browsing a few new and used book stores. I just might add Dennett to the list of possible buys. I tend to be cautious here because I tend to buy books a lot faster than I read them and I am sure I have plenty now I will never be able to read in my lifetime. But I do try to buy and read some that are outside my comfort and interest zone and Dennett would fit into the same category for me as some religious tracts or ID proponents, some of which I am glad I have read.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby Forest_Dump on February 13th, 2017, 10:37 am 

wolfhnd wrote:One of my favorite guys. Blaming the post modernists for the post truth environment instead of religion etc. is interesting. It is something I was warning about the atheist movement for years in so far as other beliefs systems will fill the void left by religion.

There is just so much worth pursueing here in that paragraph that I literally have been rolling this around in my head since it was posted. I would even rewrite that, for starters, as crediting the post modernists for reviving the warning, which IHMO, goes back at least to Cartesian skepticism and our groing understanding (from neuroscience, etc.) that "reality" is often something we have a variable grasp on (more gravey than the grave to nod to Dickens nod to the issue). And of course Marx who noted that religion is the opiate of the masses but then we have recently seen that Trumpism appears to be its own opiate but then we knew that all dogmas and ideologies beginning with the opiate of Marxism that was tried a hundred years ago and didn't work for many. But lots now still want the opiate of capitalism or the dream that they live in a democracy. And of course, Dennett seems to me to be simply shilling his own atheistic opiate and ignoring both the politics of his own politics and the fact that his opiate just isn't wanted by so many people.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Return to News Discussion Forum