'Pray For Sweden'

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

'Pray For Sweden'

Postby toucana on February 20th, 2017, 1:07 pm 

President Trump provoked fresh confusion and much internet mirth by referring in his latest rally to a non-existent terrorist incident that had supposedly happened in Sweden the night before.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-sweden-twitter_us_58aa36f6e4b037d17d291bea?section=us_politics

“You look at what’s happening in Germany, you look at what’s happening last night in Sweden.. Sweden! Who would believe this?”

he thundered on Saturday.

The problem is that no-one had any idea what he was referring to as no terrorist incident of any type had taken place in Sweden the night before, or indeed in the past year.

Former Swedish prime minister Carl Bildt took to Twitter to ask:
Sweden? Terror attack? What has he been smoking? Questions abound.

US Twitter users solemnly urged people to stand fast and 'Pray for Sweden' just as they had done over the equally fictional US 'Bowling Green Massacre' recently invented by Kellyanne Conway during a TV interview.

Trump clarified Sunday that he was referring to something he had seen on Fox News ― apparently an interview with conservative filmmaker Ami Horowitz, who linked a purported rising crime rate with the thousands of refugees Sweden has welcomed to its country.

Swedish Twitter users had their own response:
Attachments
Pray_For_Sweden.png
Last edited by toucana on February 20th, 2017, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (7)

Re: 'Pray For Sweden'

Postby Forest_Dump on February 20th, 2017, 1:15 pm 

It appears that in reality world Sweden has the same kind of mess that Trump inherited - that age old problem of peace and prosperity that bedevils "new broom" politicians. I guess what Sweden really needs is someone to mess things up so they can take credit for fixing something that wasn't broken before.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby wolfhnd on February 20th, 2017, 3:43 pm 

Did it ever occur to anyone on the left that Trump may be jerking their chain. The fact he said pray makes me think this just more of tactic to unhinged the media and make them defend fake news.
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Braininvat on February 20th, 2017, 3:53 pm 

No. Read his comment in context. He believes in his fantasy stories. All his Sweden remarks achieved was to make him look like a twit.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Braininvat on February 20th, 2017, 4:47 pm 

When Trump said that he meant a Faux News article about immigrants in Sweden, I went and checked some of the claims made in the article. None of them held up, most notably the notion that Sweden is some kind of rape capital of Europe due to an immigrant menace. After checking some other sources, I found that the wiki article summarized the situation pretty well, as regards how sexual assaults are reported in Sweden. I think this part was interesting....

The legal definition of rape in Sweden is described in chapter 6 in the Swedish Penal Code.[1] Historically, rape has been defined as forced sexual intercourse initiated against a woman or man by one or several people, without her/his consent.[2] In recent years, several revisions to the definition of rape have been made in Swedish law,[3] to now not only include intercourse, but comparable sexual acts initiated against someone passive—incapable of giving consent—because they are in a vulnerable situation, such as a state of fear or unconsciousness.[4]

In 2014, there were 6,700 rapes reported to the Swedish police—or 69 cases per 100,000 population—according to the Swedish National Council for Crime Prevention (BRÅ), which is an 11 percent increase from the previous year.[5] The number of convictions has remained relatively unchanged since 2005, with approximately 190 convictions on average each year.[6][7]

There have been several international comparisons made, placing Sweden at the top end of the number of reported rapes. However, police procedures and legal definitions vary widely across countries, which makes it difficult to compare rape statistics.[8][9][10][11] For example, Sweden reformed its sex crime legislation and made the legal definition of rape much wider in 2005,[3][4][8][12] which largely explains a significant increase in the number of reported rapes in the ten-year period of 2004-2013.[13][14] The Swedish police also record each instance of sexual violence in every case separately, leading to an inflated number of cases compared to other countries.[8][11][15] Additionally, the Swedish police have improved the handling of rape cases, in an effort to increase the number of crimes reported.[8][14][16][17] Raised awareness and a shifting attitude of sexual crimes in Sweden,[note 1][18] which has been ranked as the number one country in gender equality,[19] may also explain the relatively high rates of reported rape.[8][11][20]
-- from Wikipedia, "Rape in Sweden"

When I fact-check hysterical Brown Menace sorts of articles, this is the sort of result I usually get.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby wolfhnd on February 20th, 2017, 4:53 pm 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... c-festival

Honesty is the best policy. If there is a problem with exaggeration of crime in Sweden it is largely the fault of the Swedish government.
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on February 20th, 2017, 7:24 pm 

I try to avoid the news but EVERY SINGLE DAY this so called leader of ours does something else insane.
I watched it and looked into this last night and from what I can tell.

Trump calls news fake, then he gets his news from FOX News. So apparently only news that benefits him is not fake? Put that COMPLETE HYPOCRISY aside for now and you have a president who gets his intel from an extremely biased news network that reported on a story about a documentary made by a biased film maker about the rise in violence in Sweden.

He then uses that extreme bias to give more vague speeches that revolved around his opinion and nothing based in fact or evidence to put fear into people.

Ok let's put that aside for a moment and think... What the hell is this guy doing campaigning for 2020 already anyway? Doesn't he have some more awful cabinet members to seek out and a lot of promises to live up to that he already made. Can't he try being president first before he runs again?

So then he gives these vague and baseless speeches to people who are even less informed and they eat it up. Right after the event people are raging against one another on social media over stuff that they don't even understand because we have a leader that talks about stuff he doesn't even understand. There are people on twitter with the profile of born and raised in the boonies of "red" states who are pulling up every weird story they can to try to back up the president's claim when they haven't even a clue about anything outside of their state. Chances are they haven't even traveled outside of the town they live in.

I didn't fact check this, but to add onto that... The so called rise in violence and rape in Sweden may be due to how they changed the definition of rape to a broader definition so that more cases get classified as rape.
If you want to listen to Trump, he would have you believe that 100% of Muslims are rapists and violent criminals.

I don't care who you voted for or what party you belong to, can you please recognize the crazy hypocrisy going on and a leader who is causing it's citizens to rage against one another over lies and extremely circumstantial claims?

It's just insanity right now where we have a war between science and facts,/evidence against opinion and fiction. #swedenincident
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby toucana on February 20th, 2017, 7:25 pm 

Swedish_crime.png

Above are the recent crime statistics published by The Swedish National Council for Crime Prevention (Brottsförebyggande rådet - Brå).

https://www.bra.se/bra/bra-in-english/home/crime-and-statistics/swedish-crime-survey.html

Exaggeration of crime in Sweden is very much the responsibility of racist demagogues like Donald Trump, and also profoundly ignorant right wing network media outlets like Fox News.

Here in UK we had first hand experience of just how recklessly inaccurate their reporting can be in respect of foreign countries back in 2015 when one of their so-called experts Steve Emerson told viewers that the city of Birmingham UK was
A Muslim-only city where non-Muslims don't go, and where Muslim religious police beat anyone who doesn't dress according to Muslim, religious Muslim attire.

Steve Emerson who was the founder of a group called 'The Investigative Project on Terrorism', was giving his perspective on the terror attacks in France to Fox presenter Jeanine Pirro.

Fox News were immediately forced to apologise for putting this garbage on air.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-30773297
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby zetreque on February 20th, 2017, 7:41 pm 

I guess we might as well cut all spending for foreign intelligence. We can save billions and just all listen to FOX News. Which is fake, but it's not fake. It's the biggest enemy of the American people unless it supports someone's baseless opinion and exaggerated fears to drive more fear into people.

So don't listen to fake news unless it's fake. It's all fake, but I'm going to cite it giving speeches about my opinion on what is real.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on February 20th, 2017, 7:44 pm 

wolfhnd » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:43 am wrote:Did it ever occur to anyone on the left that Trump may be jerking their chain. The fact he said pray makes me think this just more of tactic to unhinged the media and make them defend fake news.

Day after day it's more clear that he doesn't know what he is doing or talking about. He is a reality TV show. It works for TV ratings, but not reality.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Braininvat on February 20th, 2017, 7:57 pm 

I didn't fact check this, but to add onto that... The so called rise in violence and rape in Sweden may be due to how they changed the definition of rape to a broader definition so that more cases get classified as rape.
- Z.

I did fact check. 2 postings above yours.

1. A much broader definition of rape.

2. Single incidents of sexual violence in a case are all counted separately. Also part of the change in the law. So, if a rapist breaks in and does 3 unspeakable acts to someone, they are each counted separately, and up the total by 3.

3. Changes in police procedure to encourage reporting and help women who have been coerced to silence.

4. Increased awareness of date rape and marital rape.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby zetreque on February 20th, 2017, 8:11 pm 

I hope this maniac keeps up his campaigning and opening his mouth because his approval rating drops every time.

He is just making himself look like a psychopath more all the time and attacks a new group of people making more enemies.

Politicians in both parties are coming out with stronger wording against him every week.

Then you have his poor followers that were happy that he overturned some legislation that was going to prevent coal companies from dumping toxins in the rivers and create new cleaner jobs instead.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby toucana on February 20th, 2017, 10:04 pm 

It would actually be funny in other circumstances, until you read this:
Already, some of his supporters have gone online to accuse the media of 'covering up the #Swedenincident'

http://news.sky.com/story/ex-swedish-pm-carl-bildt-tells-donald-trump-stop-digging-10775741

Meanwhile former Swedish prime minister Carl Bildt had some more sage advice to offer via Twitter after president Trump tried to defend his remarks:
Attachments
Bildt.png
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby zetreque on February 20th, 2017, 10:13 pm 

I supposed the thousands of people posting on twitter making fun of this are all paid conspirators too.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby wolfhnd on February 21st, 2017, 12:24 am 

It's kind of hard to explain what is going on but this guy gives it a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYVupORiasQ
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on February 21st, 2017, 5:52 am 

Tonight I reached out to my childhood friend I met that was a foreign exchange student from Sweden years ago. I hadn't talked to her in a couple years. She works in the government there.

She confirmed to me that they are all laughing at us. We are a freaking laughing stock of the world with this psychopath as a president. She said their government is not happy at all about his statements because they take this stuff serious and take facts serious. She said they were terrified when he was elected. She also confirmed that despite the many refugees, there has been no correlation to violence in the statistics.

Trump and his delusional opinion is a danger to the world!! IMO Given his history, that one mistake alone is grounds enough for impeachment. Striking fear into the people in countries he is making stuff up about, and fear into our own citizens about stuff he is making up is someone not fit for leadership. As with that other thread on here, it's dictatorship style.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby toucana on February 21st, 2017, 1:33 pm 

Zetreque - Slightly earlier you asked:
Ok let's put that aside for a moment and think... What the hell is this guy doing campaigning for 2020 already anyway?

Well - one interesting suggestion from a news blogger I cited in another thread was this:
On Inauguration Day, Trump apparently filed his candidacy for 2020. Beyond being unusual, this opens up the ability for him to start accepting “campaign contributions” right away. Given that a sizable fraction of the campaign funds from the previous cycle were paid directly to the Trump organization in exchange for building leases, etc., at inflated rates, you can assume that those campaign coffers are a mechanism by which US nationals can easily give cash bribes directly to Trump. Non-US nationals can, of course, continue to use Trump’s hotels and other businesses as a way to funnel money to him.
https://medium.com/@yonatanzunger/trial-balloon-for-a-coup-e024990891d5#.2frq0btoa

And this is the FEC filing made by Trump in respect of the 2020 election:
http://docquery.fec.gov/cgi-bin/fecimg?_201701209041436569+0
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby zetreque on February 21st, 2017, 2:46 pm 

Republicans, Democrats, Independents, Everyone who is in the working class should combine forces to agree on
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_Day_March
https://taxmarch.org/

Anyone in their right mind should desire that Trumps tax returns should be released so that they can have faith in paying their taxes. They can have faith in a leader who does his fair share for the country rather than swindles the American people.

People complained about all the tax dollars it cost when Obama traveled. Trump is taking weekend trips to his estate in Florida and needs more security than previous presidents. Not to mention the loss of tax revenue and jobs when he travels because it interrupts local businesses. Business owners that were friends with trump are complaining that he is costing them thousands of dollars every time he takes a trip to his estate in Florida.

His tax returns needs to be released so that either the impeachment process can begin, or tax reform to bring about a more fair world for ALL working class.

If people can't unite on that topic, then the world really has gone insane.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby wolfhnd on February 21st, 2017, 5:57 pm 

wolfhnd
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on February 21st, 2017, 6:53 pm 

Trump predicts violence.
Violence happens.

Trump is either omnipotent or an initiator/instigator of violence.

A third option. People are trying really hard to find evidence and make sense of a liar with alternative facts (intentional or unintentional is up for debate).
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Forest_Dump on February 21st, 2017, 7:01 pm 

wolfhnd wrote:http://www.torontosun.com/2017/02/21/riot-breaks-out-in-predominantly-immigrant-suburb-in-sweden

First, the Toronto Sun (and the others in the Sun chain) is the Canadian equivalent of Fox news and, in fact, Sun Media actually tried to float a TV news channel modelled on Fox News but it went under. I once subscribed to the Sun (and even delivered it door-to-door when it first came out following the demise of the Toronto Telegram) but it always had a reputation for being a blue collar, red neck rag (that was the description when I was in high school) although they preferred tabloid, known mostly for the sports section, massive numbers of stripper ads and written for the grade 6 education level. I stopped subscribing over 30 years ago because they were famous for their politicized editorial stance and, in fact, blaming everything on immigrants although back then it was drug-adled Jamaicans.

Still, accepting that this is not "fake news" (we know Trump would call it that if he didn't like it), is this really worth Trumpeting it as though it were an act of terrorism? Isn't it closer to a watered down version of the civil rights riots of the 1960s? Not even up to the riots after the Rodnye King beating. I fact not even some of the anarchy of the Irish gangs of Boston.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby Forest_Dump on February 21st, 2017, 7:03 pm 

Yeah you'd think the Swedes would be rolling in the tanks by now.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on February 21st, 2017, 7:11 pm 

This whole game trump is playing is incredibly petty. There are real problems in the world over this garbage. How about curbing population growth as the root of refugees immigrants resources and so many other problems in the first place. Global warming. Resource depletion. Creating healthy American jobs that don't destroy the environment they live in (dumping toxins into rivers from coal mines). Healthcare, tax reform.

Noo, here we are as a nation debating a riot in Sweden and if immigrants are the cause of rape.

What about the promise of "clearing the swamp" which should have been pulling out all the corruption and liars that are screwing over the American people instead of filling the government with far more corruption and dishonesty.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby ronjanec on February 21st, 2017, 7:19 pm 

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Hot+Topics/Migrant+Crisis I have been following the migrant crisis in Europe for the past two years now by following the many different stories from the website I just linked to here. The Swedish government and their controlled media are telling everyone that everything is fine over there with the many migrants that they have taken in over the past few years and that there are only minor problems with them...that's a lie.

I am not going to post any more links(you will just dismiss them as not reliable like someone just told wolfhnd here), or argue with any of you about this because I feel that this is a waste of my time. Many of you believe that you have now become very knowledgeable about this topic because of what you have read in your respective MSM's in the last couple of days. Fine.

The truth will still eventually come out about Sweden just like in Germany with their failed attempts to cover up mass sexual assaults and other migrant related problems, and hopefully you will then understand how wrong many of you were about this.
Last edited by ronjanec on February 21st, 2017, 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Forest_Dump on February 21st, 2017, 7:23 pm 

Truth be told, even us staid Canadians can get up to more mischief after an unfortunate hockey loss.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on February 21st, 2017, 7:35 pm 

ronjanec » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:19 pm wrote:http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Hot+Topics/Migrant+Crisis I have been following the migrant crisis in Europe for the past two years now by following the many different stories from the website I just linked to here. The Swedish government and their controlled media are telling everyone that everything is fine over there with the many migrants that they have taken in over the past few years and that there are only minor problems with them...that's a lie.

I am not going to post any more links(you will just dismiss them as not reliable like someone just told wolfhnd here), or argue with any of you about this because I feel that this is a waste of my time. Many of you believe that you have now become very knowledgeable about this topic because of what you have read in your respective MSM's in the last couple of days. Fine.

The truth will still eventually come out about Sweden just like in Germany with their failed attempts to cover up mass sexual assaults and other migrant related problems, and hopefully you will then understand how wrong many of you were about this.

Yes Ron, stop wasting your time and ours with fear mongering and the bigoted attitude toward people that are different and struggling.

Let's go on a class field trip to Europe. Let trump give up a weekend visit to Florida and use the money to send us all instead to do some real independent research rather than listening to a bunch of biased news sources uninformed people that haven't ever traveled beyond their state boarders as is obvious all over twitter.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby toucana on February 21st, 2017, 7:41 pm 

If you are interested in the fuller story of what lay behind the film segment by filmaker Ami Horowitz that apparently inspired Trump's original rally comment in Florida, then you might want to start with this article in the English language version of the Swedish DN.Kultur website

http://www.dn.se/kultur-noje/nyheter/swedish-police-featured-in-fox-news-segment-filmmaker-is-a-madman/

Basically the two police officers interviewed for the broadcast told Dagens Nyeter newspaper on Monday that their interview had been edited and “we were answering completely different questions in the interview”. They described the filmmaker who interviewed them, Ami Horowitz, as “a madman”.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby ronjanec on February 21st, 2017, 8:42 pm 

zetreque,

Biased news sources? If you check out the website that I linked to in my post, you will see that they link to English speaking website stories all over Europe(and the US and Canada) from both the right and the left about the migrant crisis. And the people talking about the same stories actually live in Europe.

Where do you get your information about this? What unbiased sources do you use? I would almost be willing to bet Forest's life that you get all your information about this from very liberal main stream media sources? :)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on February 21st, 2017, 9:26 pm 

ronjanec » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:42 pm wrote:zetreque,

Biased news sources? If you check out the website that I linked to in my post, you will see that they link to English speaking website stories all over Europe(and the US and Canada) from both the right and the left about the migrant crisis. And the people talking about the same stories actually live in Europe.

Where do you get your information about this? What unbiased sources do you use? I would almost be willing to bet Forest's life that you get all your information about this from very liberal main stream media sources? :)

I speak to childhood friends in Sweden and I use my brain to think independently for crying out loud. But who cares anymore. the sky is down, gravity flows up and people will waste their time on concerning themselves with the most irrelevant garbage. There's no hope for some people. They have already been brainwashed and will just fabricate conspiracy theories and lies to fit their beliefs. Take a field trip to Sweden, or are you afraid of getting raped? lol
Oh wait, we can't afford ot travel to Sweden because our president keeps getting richer and hiding tax returns to cover it up while the working class struggles.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby ronjanec on February 21st, 2017, 10:05 pm 

zetreque,

You get your information about Sweden from your childhood friends? I sure hope they get around a lot. :)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Next

Return to News Discussion Forum