Possible threat to information privacy and net neutrality

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

Possible threat to information privacy and net neutrality

Postby Braininvat on March 30th, 2017, 11:18 am 

The U.S. House of Representatives has advanced a new bill to reverse privacy protections and net neutrality that were in the Obama administrations FCC regulations.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/29/opinion/how-the-republicans-sold-your-privacy-to-internet-providers.html

In a NY Timess Op-Ed piece, the former director of the FCC addresses the threats posed by this new bill....

The bill not only gives cable companies and wireless providers free rein to do what they like with your browsing history, shopping habits, your location and other information gleaned from your online activity, but it would also prevent the Federal Communications Commission from ever again establishing similar consumer privacy protections.

The bill is an effort by the F.C.C.’s new Republican majority and congressional Republicans to overturn a simple but vitally important concept — namely that the information that goes over a network belongs to you as the consumer, not to the network hired to carry it. It’s an old idea: For decades, in both Republican and Democratic administrations, federal rules have protected the privacy of the information in a telephone call. In 2016, the F.C.C., which I led as chairman under President Barack Obama, extended those same protections to the internet.

And.....

Here’s one perverse result of this action. When you make a voice call on your smartphone, the information is protected: Your phone company can’t sell the fact that you are calling car dealerships to others who want to sell you a car. But if the same device and the same network are used to contact car dealers through the internet, that information — the same information, in fact — can be captured and sold by the network. To add insult to injury, you pay the network a monthly fee for the privilege of having your information sold to the highest bidder.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Re: Possible threat to information privacy and net neutralit

Postby bangstrom on March 30th, 2017, 4:03 pm 

This is a great idea that could get interesting.

“McElhaney plans on raising 1 million dollars so he can buy the browser history of House Speaker Paul Ryan, Congresswoman Marsha Blackburn, FCC Chairman Ajit Pa and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.
If he raises enough money to purchase them, he plans on making their histories searchable on searchinternethistory.com. “
http://elitedaily.com/news/politics/cro ... s/1842990/
bangstrom

Postby vivian maxine on March 30th, 2017, 4:51 pm 

Biv, I appreciate what you are saying but the fact is a lot of this has already been going on behind the scenes. My spam proves that if nothing else does. And have you read the fine print on all those privacy statements that are mailed to you faithfully once a year? It will doubtless get worse now, yes, but it isn't new.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby wolfhnd on March 30th, 2017, 5:43 pm 

YouTube seems to be in the process of limiting free speech at the behest of corporate interests. http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/1/127531 ... censorship The story is complicated and I won't go into detail but YouTube loses 2 billion a year so it is not surprising that they would take the action they did. What is interesting is that we seem to be in a pattern similar to the time following suffrage when moral busybodies forced issues such as prohibition. The recent Canadian action on what amounts to heresy law is another example. http://www.torontosun.com/2017/01/28/ca ... ut-trouble

Most people seem to accept the erosion of freedom we are witnessing including the NSA's spying on everyone. The pattern of government overreach is everywhere. It may be time to organize protests against what is happening.
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Braininvat on March 30th, 2017, 5:48 pm 

What stood out, for me, was the absurdity of having the activity on someone's smartphone having to be regulated by two different federal agencies now, depending on whether you connect by voice or by web. This seems at odds with the current ruling party's philosophy of leaner, simpler government. If I look up a movie time on a smartphone using the web, my preference for "Nights in Wet Teeshirts" can be sold to a third party - and I would have to appeal to the FTC for remedy. If I call the theater office and ask when the movie is showing, the FCC protects the privacy of the same basic information (which movie I want to see).
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby vivian maxine on March 30th, 2017, 6:18 pm 

I had a doctor who - much to the annoyance of the hospital where he staffed - refused to put his patients' records online. He said "anyone who thinks the web is safe is a fool". Yet people put their banking information online. I suppose our banks have already put it there for us to use and people love it. So convenient until we have ID theft. There is a lot more but you all already know it.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Return to News Discussion Forum